Nikon Z* mirrorless

So what's the consensus with the 24-70 f4 v 24-200 ?

I know that the 24-70 f4 is very sharp but the 24-200 gets good reviews and is not much bigger/heavier.....

I will keep the 24-50 as a lens to take hiking when I can't be bothered to lug around a large lens....

I

I know that the 24-70 f4 is very sharp but the 24-200 gets good reviews and is not much bigger/heavier.....

I will keep the 24-50 as a lens to take hiking when I can't be bothered to lug around a large lens....

I rated my 24-70 very highly, but still sold it to fund the 24-200, and I’ve not regretted it for a moment!

I bought my camera as a retirement present, with some help from colleagues at work. I bought the Z5 with the kit lens, sold the lens, though the price achieved was a bit disappointing and bought a 24-70 f4. I really like it, and the images are certainly very sharp - enough to show up the deficiencies in my focusing technique.

I'm reluctant to do another trade in and buy the 24-200. The problem I have though is there aren't really any alternatives for longer lenses. The 70-200 is big and very expensive. I don't have the adapter, so can't use older lenses. I don't have any to use either. At the moment I appear to have run off the edge of Nikon's roadmap.

I try not to think about it, but when I do I usually end up wishing I had bought the 24-200 instead of the 24-70, for the reach provided.

24-70 is sharp. 24-200 is excellent except softens a bit at the long end. If you pixel peep 24-70 is a little sharper in the corners.
In your situation I would go for 24-200.

I sold my 24-70 and F-mount 70-300 to fund the 24-200. The overall goal being to reduce the weight of gear I was carting up and down mountains. I now own the 24-200 and the 14-30 - its all I need. I can leave the 14-30 in the car and just take the 24-200 as a one lens, cover it all solution for long hikes if need be but the 14-30 is hardly heavy. Sharpness-wise, I think the 24-70 is marginally sharper but it's really neither here nor there, the 24-200 is definitely sharper past 71mm ;). I'm not a pixel peeper though.

I'm glad I made the swap.

The problem I have though is there aren't really any alternatives for longer lenses.

This is a fair point. If there was a Z-mount 70-200f4 at a reasonable price.......

....but there isn't.

Would have been very interested in the Zfc had it been full frame, but there is little to no commitment from Nikon in terms of APS-C lenses other than slow zooms so it feels like a dead end to me.

I could be tempted if they released a fast-ish native prime (i.e. 35mm 1.4, similar to the Fuji X one) but as far as I'm aware that isn't happening.

I bought my camera as a retirement present, with some help from colleagues at work. I bought the Z5 with the kit lens, sold the lens, though the price achieved was a bit disappointing and bought a 24-70 f4. I really like it, and the images are certainly very sharp - enough to show up the deficiencies in my focusing technique.

I'm reluctant to do another trade in and buy the 24-200. The problem I have though is there aren't really any alternatives for longer lenses. The 70-200 is big and very expensive. I don't have the adapter, so can't use older lenses. I don't have any to use either. At the moment I appear to have run off the edge of Nikon's roadmap.

I try not to think about it, but when I do I usually end up wishing I had bought the 24-200 instead of the 24-70, for the reach provided.

I have thought about selling the 24-50 - Camera Jungle offer a decent price but I really want to keep it so I can have a genuinely light option - unless I replace it with one of the new small primes...

Bit earlier than I wanted too but saw a 24-200 for £599 so couldn't resist - not in stock though but will hang on for a few weeks at that price

Bit earlier than I wanted too but saw a 24-200 for £599 so couldn't resist - not in stock though but will hang on for a few weeks at that price
That’s a good price. Think that’s the lowest I’ve heard of to date!

Little uncool Justin, I thought that we helped each other here.

Sorry been away - yes thats the shop i‘ve no reason to keep it hidden !

None in stock but will still try to get at that price - they were helpful and called me too update.

Last edited:
Does anyone use or have thoughts on the MB-N10 for the Z6 and Z7? Using my Z6 with FTZ adaptor and my 70-200 FL at the weekend and I haven’t got large hands but I found it a little uncomfortable and thought a grip would help. I know it’s got no vertical release button but that wouldn’t bother me for it’s intended use.

Does anyone use or have thoughts on the MB-N10 for the Z6 and Z7? Using my Z6 with FTZ adaptor and my 70-200 FL at the weekend and I haven’t got large hands but I found it a little uncomfortable and thought a grip would help. I know it’s got no vertical release button but that wouldn’t bother me for it’s intended use.
I love the N10 but would love the N11 just way too pricy, I used N10 when using 500PF or 70-200FL

The N11 does not fit the Z6 though so it was never in the frame. Not until I upgrade to the Z6 II that is.

I use one on my Z6, it's 'OK' as it's just a battery carrier, but it does (IMHO) make the camera more comfortable to use particularly with 70-200 2.8 II or 500PF attached, if only it had more functionality.

The N11 does not fit the Z6 though so it was never in the frame. Not until I upgrade to the Z6 II that is.
Apologies yes I have a Z7 II now (previously Z7) so just carried on using N10 but would get a N11 if price came down, get yourself an N10 I don’t think you will be disappointed as having the dual batteries also helps

I had a quick play with the zfc yesterday... it's tiny fyi! It's much smaller than I thought it was going to be and weighs almost nothing! It is very, very small and the kit lens is tiny too. I did try adapting my 200 f2 to it and it does work! But it's hilariously small and barely hold-able with that combination.

Can anyone recommend a third party battery that works with the Z5 ?

thanks

I can confirm the Ravpower ones from Amazon work great, I don't think you can do in-camera charging over USB with them but in terms of life I don't notice whether I'm using a Ravpower or a Nikon, so all good there.

Has to be third party if you want spare batteries at the moment, Nikon ones simply aren't available to buy.

EDIT: Ravpower ones now also unavailable! Madness.

I can confirm the Ravpower ones from Amazon work great, I don't think you can do in-camera charging over USB with them but in terms of life I don't notice whether I'm using a Ravpower or a Nikon, so all good there.

Has to be third party if you want spare batteries at the moment, Nikon ones simply aren't available to buy.

EDIT: Ravpower ones now also unavailable! Madness.

Thats a shame :(

I might be as well buying a second hand genuine EN-EL15 ?

A few people on eBay selling EL15's for £19 - states genuine, are they likely to be fakes ?

Huh, saw a thread on lens hoods and realised that the 14-30 f4 I just bought didn't come with one. Should it have?? Guessing not as its obviously extra wide, but thought I'd ask....??

Huh, saw a thread on lens hoods and realised that the 14-30 f4 I just bought didn't come with one. Should it have?? Guessing not as its obviously extra wide, but thought I'd ask....??
According to the Nikon website a lens hood is included ?

Back