Nikon Z* mirrorless

I am really liking the Z5. I like to shoot Nature and Wildlife, oh and my cats lol. I absolutely love the little 24-50mm that comes as a kit lens. It's very sharp as well as silent and fast AF. The Z5 itself is plenty impressive for the price - so many cool features. For nature I eventually decided to leave the Nikon 200-500mm and get the Tamron 150-600mm G2 instead as it's lighter and cheaper. I managed to get the FTZ adaptor so just waiting on the Tamron to arrive this week...

I admit that if I had the budget then I would have gone for the Z6 MkII for its better low-light focusing and 12fps, but then again as an amateur I can deal with the 4.5fps of the Z5.

Make sure the Tamron lens has the latest firmware it needs it to work on the Nikon z. It needs updating via a dock.

Can anyone reccomend a free android app which can edit nikon raw files?

I've had a ring round yesterday and was told by WEX that the Z MC 105mm micro would be months away because of the numbers that have been pre-ordered (I've not pre-ordered). They told me that as yet they have had none delivered from Nikon. Also Nikon have apologised saying that the delivery will be late, so it was looking unlikely that I'd get one any time soon.
I checked all the usual camera shops and they were all listing as out of stock and per-order only. Then I happened to try ringing a couple of other shops and BINGO. Carmarthen Cameras had one and I've snapped it up, its gone in the post today. I'm looking forwards to getting it and trying it out. I'll let you know how I get on.

Last edited:
been looking for the 24-200 for a couple of months got a email from graysofwestminster to tell me they had it back in stock so ordered it £619
Nice. I’m still in two minds if I want one. I’m pretty happy with the 14-30 & 24-70 f4. Guess I still have a little time before the summer deals end.

I wasn't 100% sure when I ordered my 24-200, (I was really pleased with my 24-70), but after the first day walking in the hills with it and just taking one lens my doubts vanished. I've since added the 14-30 and I can't see me needing anything else. 14-200mm covered by two sharp, light and weather sealed lenses. Happy days. I think the Z-system has even cured my GAS. Can't see that I'll buy another lens anytime soon. :p

(Disclaimer. That is not the first time I've said something like that..!)

Nice. I’m still in two minds if I want one. I’m pretty happy with the 14-30 & 24-70 f4. Guess I still have a little time before the summer deals end.
I a the same I've got the 14-30 24-70 50 -18 85-18 but just though the 24-200 with z6 would be nice still running two systems going to get the 500 pf to go with the 850 in stock for £3250

If I wanted to get a lens for wildlife I see it that there are three options:

1) Nikon 200-500
2) Tamron 150-600
3) Rent either of the above for the times when I need it before Nikon launch their 100-400 or 200-600 Z mount

Any advice from the Z collective as to which of option 1 or 2 work best through the FTZ?

1) Nikon 200-500
2) Tamron 150-600
3) Rent either of the above for the times when I need it before Nikon launch their 100-400 or 200-600 Z mount

Any advice from the Z collective as to which of option 1 or 2 work best through the FTZ?

Don’t forget about the two sigma 150-600 options (the C and the S) - I’ve got the C and it works well with the z6 via FTZ. Some of my pics in this thread have used that combo if you hunt around!

1) Nikon 200-500
2) Tamron 150-600

Give the 500 PF a try, ok you will still need an FTZ, but it is a country mile better IQ than any of the lenses you have listed.

I used my Z6 at Oulton Park yesterday and it performed really well with my 70-200 FL.

No talk of the the new Z fc here?

What a beauty, I don't even shoot Nikon but I want one :love:

It does look nice doesn't it? However, pair it with the ftz adapter and it'll start to look / handle terribly! And it's not full frame, not necessarily a deal breaker for all, but it's a consideration for me. That said, I LOVE the colours it comes in! I may get on in orange or turquoise.... :nikon:

I like the deep grip on my Z50 so I won't be changing. If it had image stabilisation then maybe.
I'm more interested in the FF lens rollout - still wanting a couple on the roadmap.

I like the deep grip on my Z50 so I won't be changing. If it had image stabilisation then maybe.
I'm more interested in the FF lens rollout - still wanting a couple on the roadmap.

watching the dpreview's video and some images from the rumours i think there will be an addon grip accessory for those that want it.
Z 40mm f2 looks really nice. Not so keen on the 28mm f2.8. overall it seems like they are delivering on the roadmap but a little slower than anticipated. The whole pandemic and stuff probably hasn't helped.

Well thanks to my local LCE offering such a good deal I’m picking up a Z5 and 24-50 today ! I always feared I would want to return to FF so am looking forward to getting used to it.

May add the 24-70 f4 or the 24-200 at some point as both look excellent lenses….

watching the dpreview's video and some images from the rumours i think there will be an addon grip accessory for those that want it.
Z 40mm f2 looks really nice. Not so keen on the 28mm f2.8. overall it seems like they are delivering on the roadmap but a little slower than anticipated. The whole pandemic and stuff probably hasn't helped.
Just checking - these are FF lenses ? So 28 and 40 mm on FF ?

Just checking - these are FF lenses ? So 28 and 40 mm on FF ?
yep they are indeed FF lenses.
Nikon aren't making a huge lot of APS-C lenses.
Fuji is really the only one fully serious about APS-C in all honesty.

yep they are indeed FF lenses.
Nikon aren't making a huge lot of APS-C lenses.
Fuji is really the only one fully serious about APS-C in all honesty.

Thanks - both look quite appealing to me I use 28mm a lot judging by LR

I love the concept and looks of it. Its disadvantages for me, in descending order of importance, are a) no IBIS b) no 3rd-party lenses, and c) not FF. the first one is the killer for my shooting needs.

If it sells well enough, then hopefully they'll bring out a FF retro with ibis. Until then this doesn't interest me at all.

Agreed. I doubt it will sell very well though. They'll be 300 quid secondhand at MPB this time next year. Customers who want a retro style crop camera will already be bought into the Fuji system with it's line-up of excellent lenses.

I can't deny the new Zfc looks loverly. I appreciate that technically there are arguments against, but what a looker. I guess it all depends on what is important to you and for some people the looks might outweigh any limitations and I can understand that, especially if you're into street photography.
On another note I've just unpacked a new Z MC 105mm macro lens and I'm about to take it for a spin for the first time.

I've got a Z5 and a Z50 with the 16-50 as a walk around/hike with small and light, and I really love it. Even though it makes no technical or financial sense, I will 100% be selling it and replacing it with this Zfc, I just think it will be really fun to shoot casually with, no to mention the fact that it looks fantastic. I'll be keeping my black 16-50 though. The whole thing looks premium in the promo shots, except for the silver 16-50, which cheapens it a bit.

I can't tell who the Zfc is even aimed at? I can't see any Fuji owners being swayed much. They've got cameras with 'retro' styling already with IBIS, dual card slots and not limited to 1/4000th sec, you also get an AF/MF/C switch which is very handy when adapting lenses. I can imagine many who are looking at this body would be inclined to also adapt old lenses, I mean you're mostly looking at it for that retro look to begin with [I don't think it looks anything special tbh]. Feels to me like it's aimed solely at current Nikon users who just want a new toy to stick their Nikon lenses on, as it offers nothing that's not already out there for anyone else. When I saw it first I thought it was FX, and that would have had something to grab the attention of the Fuji crew maybe, as they tend to like that style and we know Fuji will never do an FX body

Dare I compare this to the Nikon DF? That didn't sell well and Nikon discontinued it after the first generation. I know this one is cheaper but it just doesn't feel right and the lenses look awful

Last edited:
Give the 500 PF a try, ok you will still need an FTZ, but it is a country mile better IQ than any of the lenses you have listed.

I'm going to Norfolk next week for 4 days, 1 hour of that trip will be spent hopefully seeing the seals by boat so having the reach would be nice. Renting one will cost a bit as I'll likely need to rent it for 5-6 days unless I can speak nicely to the hotel to receive it in the post for me.

I might just do it though as a good way to test it.

Reactions: mex
Just a quick question about my Z5 - when viewing an image in the EVF or on the rear screen is there a way to remove all the shooting info so you can just see the image ?
I’m liking it so far but need to get used to the shutter button which is very sensitive

Just a quick question about my Z5 - when viewing an image in the EVF or on the rear screen is there a way to remove all the shooting info so you can just see the image ?
I’m liking it so far but need to get used to the shutter button which is very sensitive
Not sure it's 100% the same on the Z5, but on other Nikon cameras, use the down arrow on the pad and it cycles through different information on playback. There (might not be on the z5) is an option that allows you to choose what information cycles through, so if you want to limit it to only display the image you can.

Yes the DISP button on the back, switches between different views with more or less information.

I found this page very helpful for setting my Z5 up. I've gone with his suggestion of removing the focusing from the shutter and I'm really liking it.

Hum the display button does toggle through different displays whilst in live view but not image play back ? At least on my Z5 !

Back