Nikon Z* mirrorless

absolutely gorgeous rendering. Never heard of this company before but I suspect we'll be hearing a lot more. Look forward to further images.
Thanks. I’ve wanted a fast 28mm for some time. Dustin Abott has reviewed it.

It’s this one mate. Very good indeed.

Thanks Trev, I'll take a look mate

Beautiful detail for an extended lens!! Would one go for a 500mm pf over the extended 400mm z. I wonder if AF performance is better on the extended z lens
Thanks...The 500mm PF has been on my mind a bit lately. If I had realised when I purchased the 400mm f4.5 that I could have used the 500mm PF as the weight isn't huge between the two lenses I would have gone for that lens using the FTZ11. (the 180-600 wasn't available)

Not sure how the the 500 would have stood, if needed with a 1.4TC and FTZ even if you could do it, as reach is always the best for wildlife. Just wish the those numbers would come in and the 600mm Z f4 would be my first purchase.

Be a small club! Didn’t know you were a connoisseur also. Which have you got?

I 've bought the NonNikor 35mm f1.4 Made in China by Artralab.
It's modelled on a 1980's Nikon 35mm Ais f1.4, Manual focus.
It's not chipped so I've had to add it to the non CPU list in camera.
The Zf won't give focus confirmation with non CPU lenses.
However the camera will find the eye for me, I then magnify the image and focus using peaking.
Result here, unsure if my skills are lacking, or it's just a bit of softness from the 80's design .

Brody 35mm trial by Trevor, on Flickr

I remember now. Mine is the 80s version also. Lovely to use, but as you say may be a tad soft. But then it’s deliberately made to reflect the iq of the original lens.

Were most of the frames sharp and in focus, or would you say the choice of usable frames was limited? What a great subject to test it on :)
From a burst of 65 frames, 11 out of focus. In fairness most were the initial acquisitions. He was partially hidden by some bracken when I started the burst.
Very impressive for a torture test. I'm finding him running at the camera is one of the hardest tests for the focusing ability.

It’s the f2.5 one, with the built-in lens hood. It’s quite sharp, or it would be if my eyes were better!
I used to have that one and liked the rendering a good deal. Really not sure why I sold it, though it didn't have the same character attached to a Fuji. The micro is very different -- more contrasty for a start.

Has anyone ever got a screw on filter stuck on a 100-400 Z lens? I’ve put a Hoya HD protector screw on filter on it and can’t undo it!
The harder you squeeze them the more they distort and refuse to budge. Rubber gloves or rubber band. Or put the lens in a vice, cut a slot in the filter with a hacksaw, and knock it round with a chisel. ;) :D (You can tell I used to work for Leyland Trucks )

Last edited:
The harder you squeeze them the more they distort and refuse to budge. Rubber gloves or rubber band. Or put the lens in a vice, cut a slot in the filter with a hacksaw, and knock it round with a chisel. (You can tell I used to work for Leyland Trucks )
honestly I’d rather leave it on there than put the lens in vice!

I’ve tried the mouse mat idea, I’ve not tried rubber gloves or elastic band as I don’t have any.

Last edited:
Better to just have a lens hood, I used protective filters years ago, until I realised I was covering good glass with crap glass, and now I wouldn't dream of covering Z glass.

I believe they can also have a detrimental effect on AF with longer lenses on mirrorless, at least that was what was known for the 200-600mm on the Sony a7iv

Reactions: TG.
From a burst of 65 frames, 11 out of focus. In fairness most were the initial acquisitions. He was partially hidden by some bracken when I started the burst.
Very impressive for a torture test. I'm finding him running at the camera is one of the hardest tests for the focusing ability.
Missed your post, thanks for the heads up. That’s an extremely good result for an adapted lens. Looks like the adapter is very capable!!

and that's precisely where Ruby spends most of her time. Had to abandon any attempt at a serious walk as it was an absurd 27.5C this afternoon -- that's hotter than it's supposed to be in July......
I was in Worcester in February and the blossom was already out and it felt like our Scottish summer!!

Anyone brave enough to sand their knobs ?

One from recent local car event.. had B&W mode selected from a previous outing so i captured this using it using that and edited it a little afterwards, Used my 40mm on the ZF
Great shot, love the perspective, cars are a lot harder to shoot than people realise, good job.

and that's precisely where Ruby spends most of her time. Had to abandon any attempt at a serious walk as it was an absurd 27.5C this afternoon -- that's hotter than it's supposed to be in July......
We can just about manage that in Fahrenheit

Back