Nikon Z* mirrorless

I’m still trying to get to grips with the 400 f4.5. I’ve been going to my local deer park as the deer there are usually quite good subjects.

This fella has quite the facial disfigurement. I’ve never seen a disfigured deer at the park before. With it being a managed deer park they breed the deer specifically choosing the best to get unnaturally large antlers, so I didn’t expect to see a deer like this.

Red Deer 3 by -Rob'81-

I’ve been trying to capture a deer looking around a tree for many years. Typically a get the pose but it’s looking around an awful metal guard, which seem to multiplied this year.
Red Deer 2 by -Rob'81-

I have to give it up this fella as he’s quite the poser. Hopefully will spot him in the rut in the autumn.
Red Deer 1 by -Rob'81-

So far I’ve been really liking the lightness of the 400 f4.5. I’d normally take out a small tripod but I’ve only shot hand held so far and it’s quite refreshing to more mobile. It’s a steep learning curve getting used to a prime again as I’ve only shot with a zoom lens for wildlife for 10 years now. I’ve got so used to being able to twist the zoom for close or wider shot.

Last edited:
I’m still trying to get to grips with the 400 f4.5. I’ve been going to my local deer park as the deer there are usually quite good subjects.

This fella has quite the facial disfigurement. I’ve never seen a disfigured deer at the park before. With it being a managed deer park they breed the deer specifically choosing the best to get unnaturally large antlers, so I didn’t expect to see a deer like this.

Red Deer 3 by -Rob'81-

I’ve been trying to capture a deer looking around a tree for many years. Typically a get the pose but it’s looking around an awful metal guard, which seem to multiplied this year.
Red Deer 2 by -Rob'81-

I have to give it up this fella as he’s quite the poser. Hopefully will spot him in the rut in the autumn.
Red Deer 1 by -Rob'81-

So far I’ve been really liking the lightness of the 400 f4.5. I’d normally take out a small tripod but I’ve only shot hand held so far and it’s quite refreshing to more mobile. It’s a steep learning curve getting used to a prime again as I’ve only shot with a zoom lens for wildlife for 10 years now. I’ve got so used to being able to twist the zoom for close or wider shot.
Whereabouts was this ?

Red Deer 3 by -Rob'81-

Red Deer 2 by -Rob'81-

Red Deer 1 by -Rob'81-

Definitely a lens I’ve had an eye on for a while, even while not shooting Nikon. Hopefully one day I’ll get one.

Definitely a lens I’ve had an eye on for a while, even while not shooting Nikon. Hopefully one day I’ll get one.
It was quite annoying when I moved to canon hoping to get the 400 f4 to then see Nikon bring out this on mirrorless and so much lighter.

I couldnt bring myself to spend so much on an older DSLR lens and with canon not really doing any affordable lenses (their 400 f4 is likely to be priced quite high when they finally release one) and bringing f8 and f11 primed I thought it was best to move back to Nikon who had what I wanted.

It’s Woburn. Very hit and miss as you have to stick to the public foot paths and can’t walk anywhere you’d like to. The light weight 400 f4.5 really helps keep weigh down so you can’t walk further to find them.
Yes I had a feeling it was Woburn, I was up there a couple of years ago, but as you say hit and miss, but if you have a decent lens, it,s possible to get good shots from some of the footpaths, I've only got a 70-300 and another 100mm would of made the difference.

Yes I had a feeling it was Woburn, I was up there a couple of years ago, but as you say hit and miss, but if you have a decent lens, it,s possible to get good shots from some of the footpaths, I've only got a 70-300 and another 100mm would of made the difference.
If you play the odds with a few visits to find them close.,300mm would be fine as I’ve use around that before. These weren’t that far away, I had to keep moving back along the path with it being a fixed 400mm. I’m not used to a prime having not used a long prime for 10 years (and that was a 300mm prime).

after the replies from @Unlocker and @Swanseajack and looking at reviews I’ve decided to miss out on hiring a Z 1.4 TC and picked up a used copy from WEX. It was as new condition and the same price as one sold for on here a few months ago.

I have a few subjects ideas for spring which could do with a longer focal length so it felt right to not procrastinate this time.

Last edited:
Nikon Z7 and Nikon Z7 II "Grid type display" choice of ratios.

With the Zf and Z8 it would seem you can choose a 5x4 ratio grid display (3x3, 4x4, 5:4, 1:1 and 16:9 options) while still producing full size 3:2 ratio files.

Can anyone tell me if this 5:4 ratio "display" grid is an option with the Z7 and/or Z7 II (without using the 5x4 ratio file crop).

This seems impossible to find by googling !!

Nikon Z7 and Nikon Z7 II "Grid type display" choice of ratios.

Can anyone tell me if this 5:4 ratio "display" grid is an option with the Z7 and/or Z7 II (without using the 5x4 ratio file crop).

This seems impossible to find by googling !!
Yes. Check out D6 under custom menu, to make sure 5:4 ratio is selected. Otherwise you won't see the option when choosing.

Last edited:
If I recall shooting in 5:4 on the Z7ii crops the raw file to that ratio.
Thanks and that is correct, and as far as I know Nikon has always done this, but that is the 5:4 "crop", it isn't the 5x4 "grid display " option that I was asking about, and listed, which for the Z8 and Zf are 3x3, 4x4, 5:4, 1:1 and 16:9.

The latter as far as I can make out can be set independent of the crop e.g. a 4x4 grid over a 5x4 crop, or a 5x4 grid over a 3x2 FF no crop

Search Google 'AF8images' videos
I've now looked up this Youtube channel and can't find a video that explains this.

There is a video about changing the "image area" and another on changing the display grid, but, like everything else I've found, he only mentions 3x3 and 4x4 in the display grid video. He mentions 5x4 when explaining the image area options, but of course, that isn't what I'm looking for.

Am I just missing the video where he shows how to set up a 5x4 display grid.

Had half an hour to spare yesterday in Skipton so I had a wander with the Zf and the manual Nikon E 35mm f2.5 lens (as supplied by @woof woof - thank you)

Well done.

As I may have mentioned, I think that lens is so good it could be someone's only 35mm as long as you don't need a wider aperture.

Good luck with it :D

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on a zf last week (after constant daily hounding by @imattersuk - telling me how much I’d like one). We met for a beer in the big smoke and after I got to fondle his one, I was hooked.

Have tried an old sigma 300mm f2.8 adapted and the focus works. Will find out tomorrow if it locks on and tracks adequately, but first impressions are positive. That line of lenses are not officially confirmed to work with the adapter.

I pulled the trigger on a zf last week (after constant daily hounding by @imattersuk - telling me how much I’d like one). We met for a beer in the big smoke and after I got to fondle his one, I was hooked.

Have tried an old sigma 300mm f2.8 adapted and the focus works. Will find out tomorrow if it locks on and tracks adequately, but first impressions are positive. That line of lenses are not officially confirmed to work with the adapter.
Once you’ve fondled one you have to have it…

I feel I need to set the record straight here and impart an accurate accounts of events.

@addicknchips - I’m buying Sony
Me - don’t you’ll be bored within days, just like you have been 20 times before
@addicknchips - it’s cheaper than the ZF
Me - don’t be a skinflint all your life

Sony meets ZF in London

Next day I get a message to say a delivery is imminent

The end

I've now looked up this Youtube channel and can't find a video that explains this.

There is a video about changing the "image area" and another on changing the display grid, but, like everything else I've found, he only mentions 3x3 and 4x4 in the display grid video. He mentions 5x4 when explaining the image area options, but of course, that isn't what I'm looking for.

Am I just missing the video where he shows how to set up a 5x4 display grid.
I thought you were referring to the ratio setting, not a grid.

I feel I need to set the record straight here and impart an accurate accounts of events.

@addicknchips - I’m buying Sony
Me - don’t you’ll be bored within days, just like you have been 20 times before
@addicknchips - it’s cheaper than the ZF
Me - don’t be a skinflint all your life

Sony meets ZF in London

Next day I get a message to say a delivery is imminent

The end

As an outsider and long time Sony user looking in...

I can see the attraction of various cameras but most of this passes me by and I suppose that's why I'm still using an original Sony A7 which is (what?) 12 years old now or whatever it is. Cameras don't really interest me all that much as long as they work and don't get in the way to any great extent. I find lenses much more interesting as IMO they're more different than cameras or at least more different than most modern cameras are, but good luck to those who do like cameras :D Apart from my A7 and my Kodak which I've had even longer I suppose the camera I've had for longest was a Nikon SLR.

Sorry to intrude, carry on :D

Last edited:
I thought you were referring to the ratio setting, not a grid.
Sorry I tried to make it clear I wasn't referring to the image/crop ratio, but to the grid overlay feature.

As far as I'm aware being able to set the grid overlay ratio independent from the image crop was introduced with the Z9 and is now on the z8 and Zf. But I also thought it might have been added with a firmware upgrade to the Z7. But I cannot find any reference to what grids are available on the Z7 other than discussion from people wanting a rule of thirds grid that was introduced with the z6..

In my option you need to be related to an octopus to find the ZF's comfortable to hold without a grip. Nothing like a Sony.

Last edited:
In my option you need to be related to an octopus to find the ZF's comfortable to hold without a grip. Nothing like the a Sony.
Yeah. But it’s beautiful innit….

Sorry I tried to make it clear I wasn't referring to the image/crop ratio, but to the grid overlay feature.

As far as I'm aware being able to set the grid overlay ratio independent from the image crop was introduced with the Z9 and is now on the z8 and Zf. But I also thought it might have been added with a firmware upgrade to the Z7. But I cannot find any reference to what grids are available on the Z7 other than discussion from people wanting a rule of thirds grid that was introduced with the z6..
As far as the framing grid is concerned, it's fixed at 4x4. Your only option is on/off and can be assigned to a button.

Yeah. But it’s beautiful innit….
I'll be diplomatic Trevor and say... Not my cup of tea. The last time I picked up something like that and quickly put it back down was one of the Fujis. To be honest I'm rather disappointed in Nikon copying their old, old model.

I'll be diplomatic Trevor and say... Not my cup of tea. The last time I picked up something like that and quickly put it back down was one of the Fujis. To be honest I'm rather disappointed in Nikon copying their old, old model.
No problem mate. I appreciate it’s not for everyone.

In my option you need to be related to an octopus to find the ZF's comfortable to hold without a grip. Nothing like a Sony.
Which is why I originally discounted getting one after holding it, then I realised that Nikon were giving the excellent smallrig grip free, transforms it and regardless of whether or not people like the styling it massively outperforms the Z6II & Z7II when it comes to AF performance, it even has subject detect in manual focus, not even the Z8 has that. Compared to the Sony A7IV I had it's different class, Sony should be ashamed to sell that with the crappy EVF, screen and slow burst rate.

Back