Nikon Z* mirrorless

I hope you guys can help me decide - I'm loving my new Zf camera and would like to get a nice little lens for it - Some small lens with character.
I only have 40/2 SE and 24-70/4 zoom at this moment, but I prefer small lens. Even if its MF.
That is why I was looking at Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 VM II, or Voigtlander 50 APO Z. Or should I look into old AIS lens? Or some E or G to mount on FTZ?
I wanted 58G, but it's hard to find a nice copy that doesn't have that front edge battered, plus with FTZ adapter it would be huge and front heavy. Plus would be an amazaing lens with character, great for portraits etc - thats all I know from reading on internet as I never had this one before.
But again, I'm after some nice little lens, always loved my Voigtlanders on Sony (even I had all VM on it).
Amongst other manual focus lenses, I have two 35mm. One is, like @trevorbray , the Artralab, and the other a Nikon E f2.5 on an adapter. Both excellent lenses but with different characteristics. The Artralab, being native Z mount, is physically smaller than the Nikon with its adapter. Hard to say which I prefer. But the Zf seems to be built for manual focussing, and primes rather than larger zooms.

But the Zf seems to be built for manual focussing, and primes rather than larger zooms
my problem is that as things stand, I'm tending to use the Df for manual focussing of legacy lenses which is a particular strength of that camera (and AF of older D AF lenses which don't AF on the Z). If I didn't have the Df, the Zf would be even more tempting. But of course I haven't yet ruled it out....

I wish Nikon and Cosina would start producing more lens for Zf, Z mount FF Voigtlanders and Nikon SE compact series. Plus release Sigma with i-series on Z :D
Then I'll be happy.

Well currently Voigtlander offer 15mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, 65mm and 75mm in FF Nikon Z.
No doubt the 21mm will find its way over to Nikon fairly soon.

Well currently Voigtlander offer 15mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, 65mm and 75mm in FF Nikon Z.
No doubt the 21mm will find its way over to Nikon fairly soon.
I hope so!
Question is, which one they gonna do - f3.5 Color Skopar is best choice I think, however f1.4 is popular too.

Has anyone compared results/images from a Z lens with those from an F mount lens - on a side by side comparison?

Lots of reviewer sites have in the past few years.
General consensus is that Z mount are better in virtually every case.

another "Toy", as my wife would say, has arrived

I like the colour of the box and the simplicity of design of the script

TP_Zf.jpg

Finger trouble strikes again…..while reading a sales article on the Z8 my finger accidentally touched the page and this morning I woke to an email informing me that a Z8 is on its way to my address. Not sure how that happened.

I find a couple of glasses of red are often responsible for spontaneous (and sometimes quite irresponsible) decisions pertaining to photographic equipment purchases. I normally wake up the next morning and remonstrate with myself but I don't cancel the orders. And when the said purchases arrive I thank the empty bottle and buy another.

Last edited:
If you're a photographer, you'll see beauty in all kinds of things. I personally see physical beauty in many of my Nikon cameras and lenses. I have to say, the Nikon Z range of cameras never really floated my boat to look at (I used a Z6 for quite some time), except the ZFC. My first camera was a brand new Nikon FM2N, so that might have a lot to do with it. Today I took delivery of a Nikon ZF and I have to say I'm blown away by the feel and looks of this amazing bit of kit. This is the camera I've been waiting for, ever since Nikon announced the D1. Just gorgeous! Before someone asks, the lens is a Minolta M-Rokkor 28mm f/2.8. It's a MF lens made for the Minolta CLE rangefinder and is Leica M mount, hence the adapter.

ZF-1-SMALL.jpg

Last edited:
If you're a photographer, you'll see beauty in all kinds of things. I personally see physical beauty in many of my Nikon cameras and lenses. I have to say, the Nikon Z range of cameras never really floated my boat to look at (I used a Z6 for quite some time), except the ZFC. My first camera was a brand new Nikon FM2N, so that might have a lot to do with it. Today I took delivery of a Nikon ZF and I have to say I'm blown away by the feel and looks of this amazing bit of kit. This is the camera I've been waiting for, ever since Nikon announced the D1. Just gorgeous! Before someone asks, the lens is a Minolta M-Rokkor 28mm f/2.8. It's a MF lens made for the Minolta CLE rangefinder and is Leica M mount, hence the adapter.

View attachment 421071
Must say I keep getting mine out and fondling it

Now when we have so many Zf users - how do you guys "wear" it? Do you use neck straps? cross body? leather, or fabric? wrist straps only? or just plain naked?
(Camera I mean :) )
I'm planning to get that new beige color Peak Design strap, but not sure if Zf with some lens would be too heavy for neck?

Now when we have so many Zf users - how do you guys "wear" it? Do you use neck straps? cross body? leather, or fabric? wrist straps only? or just plain naked?
I'm planning to get that new beige color Peak Design strap, but not sure if Zf with some lens would be too heavy for neck?
I’m a neck strap user. Always like the security it offers me. Especially on the dog walk.
Op-Tech

I wear my ZF with the supplied neck strap... I do look at getting something more suitable looking for it.

Alright, everyone prefers neck straps, cool.
Which one do you guys think would be good for Zf with some lens, not too huge, like those Voigtlanders amx, so nothing heavy as some Nikon zooms:
Thinner one, Leash, or that wider strap?
19mm or 32mm wide?

strap.JPG

Last edited:
Which one do you guys think would be good for Zf with some lens, not too huge, like those Voigtlanders amx, so nothing heavy as some Nikon zooms:
19mm or 32mm wide?

View attachment 421080
They are all ugly and the hard plastic ends can damage the camera

Cross-body for me, or else just hand-held if I am taking a few shots together. At the moment I alternate between the narrower Peak Design, or a round cord with some special machined metal clips I bought about 10 years ago but are no longer made. Can’t decide which I prefer.

19mm or 32mm wide?

View attachment 421080

I've tried all kinds - never found the ideal one yet and have always gone back to the Nikon one

I think an Opticron 31018 binocular harness would be ideal for the Zf

Last edited:
Mr T, looking at some of the images on your Flickr, are these straight out of the camera or you have processed them especially with the colours. They look amazing.

Thank you
Thanks. You’re looking at Nikon colours. I process very lightly. I think I’ve only used a Portra 400 preset on 2 frames. It’s the image of the riverboat coffee shop.

Thank good
Thanks. You’re looking at Nikon colours. I process very lightly. I think I’ve only used a Portra 400 preset on 2 frames. It’s the image of the riverboat coffee sho
Thanks. You’re looking at Nikon colours. I process very lightly. I think I’ve only used a Portra 400 preset on 2 frames. It’s the image of the riverboat coffee shop.
Thank you, may be a Zf or most likely a users thing as I don’t seem to get those colour out of my z6ii. ☺️

I use a FootPrint leather strap.

Have used them for years on all my cameras. They will also custom make a strap to your exact specs.

Have used them for years on all my cameras. They will also custom make a strap to your exact specs.
I also always use footprint straps and have done for years, they are so well made.

I have one of those in a drawer. Didn’t know they still existed. Got mine about 13 years ago. Must dig it out.

Back