Nikon Z* mirrorless

The Zf photos here look amazing. I recently went to Wex in Putney and have been looking at either getting the Somy A7CR or the Nikon Zf. I’m a Sony shooter (A7RIII) and don’t really care much about brands even though I’ve always had a soft spot for Nikons. I went into the shop hoping to like the it based on reviews i’ve seen. The grip is actually really good,the EVF is not as bad as people go on but the moment I held the Zf I was like “this is it”.

I have two questions; 1. Anyone regret going from a higher megapixel camera down to something like the Zf with 24? 24 is plenty but i’m really enjoying the 42 megapixels i have at the moment and 2. Anyone here with experience of using Sony lenses on the Zf or other Nikon bodies? My 35 1.4 and 50 1.2 GMs are just too good to let go especially looking at their side compared to Nikon’s. The adapters I’ve seen seem to work quite well? Would be great for a combo setup!
I think @trevorbray uses Sony lenses on his Zf.

The Zf photos here look amazing. I recently went to Wex in Putney and have been looking at either getting the Somy A7CR or the Nikon Zf. I’m a Sony shooter (A7RIII) and don’t really care much about brands even though I’ve always had a soft spot for Nikons. I went into the shop hoping to like the it based on reviews i’ve seen. The grip is actually really good,the EVF is not as bad as people go on but the moment I held the Zf I was like “this is it”.

I have two questions; 1. Anyone regret going from a higher megapixel camera down to something like the Zf with 24? 24 is plenty but i’m really enjoying the 42 megapixels i have at the moment and 2. Anyone here with experience of using Sony lenses on the Zf or other Nikon bodies? My 35 1.4 and 50 1.2 GMs are just too good to let go especially looking at their side compared to Nikon’s. The adapters I’ve seen seem to work quite well? Would be great for a combo setup!

I think @trevorbray uses Sony lenses on his Zf.
Yep. I’ve used the 50GM f1.2 and Sony fit Tamron 28-75 with the Megadap ETZ pro mk2. They work perfectly. But I’ve since let those lenses go. Still have the adapter as I also have a cheap Sammy 14mm in FE mount. Came very close to keeping my GM primes. Have some regrets. But wanna go native as much as possible.
Also, on the resolution front. I’ve got that covered with a Z8. Mostly because I’d like to assess it for action over my Olympus OM-1. Prefer to use smaller lenses on the Zf

Yep. I’ve used the 50GM f1.2 and Sony fit Tamron 28-75 with the Megadap ETZ pro mk2. They work perfectly. But I’ve since let those lenses go. Still have the adapter as I also have a cheap Sammy 14mm in FE mount. Came very close to keeping my GM primes. Have some regrets. But wanna go native as much as possible.
Also, on the resolution front. I’ve got that covered with a Z8. Mostly because I’d like to assess it for action over my Olympus OM-1. Prefer to use smaller lenses on the Zf
Thanks for the response! Great to hear someone went through a similar situation and it makes sense regarding going with native lenses But it’s good to know that the Megadap adapter works well, it’s the exact one I’ve been looking at.

The Z8 screen is probably the best one around from a photographer‘s perspective and it looks like a beast! Figuratively and physically, it’s a big one!

Finally bit the bullet and bought a Z8 to replace my D850 :D bought for a mixture of wildlife, macro and landscapes but it seems to have been mostly used for landscapes so far... Here are a few from a recent trip to Cornwall. All taken with the FTZ and an old Tamron 17-35

Pastel dawn at St. Michael's Mount by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Botallack just before sunset by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

The beginnings of Storm Kathleen at Porthleven by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Early morning in Mousehole by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

St. Michael's Mount causeway by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

I am well known for my dislike of heavy camera systems. However, having lived with the Zf for a while, I find it reassuringly sturdy rather than weighty. In fact, apart from the Fuji X-Pro2, it’s the first digital camera I’ve felt at-one with.
I know what you mean about the X-Pro2 which was my previous camera before switching to Nikon Z. It had a very distinct character. I wonder if the Zf has actually arrived in the local shops yet? A while since i had a look.

I know what you mean about the X-Pro2 which was my previous camera before switching to Nikon Z. It had a very distinct character. I wonder if the Zf has actually arrived in the local shops yet? A while since i had a look.
Don't look. You'll only want one.

More dog I'm afraid.
Trying the Z8 with the F mount 300 f4 PF
Not much of a test but i wanna be sure this combo can be used for action pictures of the dog.
Unfortunately he was in a slow mood.
jpegs straight from the camera.

Track me-2 by Trevor, on Flickr

Very slow here
On the look out by Trevor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Finally bit the bullet and bought a Z8 to replace my D850 :D bought for a mixture of wildlife, macro and landscapes but it seems to have been mostly used for landscapes so far... Here are a few from a recent trip to Cornwall. All taken with the FTZ and an old Tamron 17-35

Lovely work. That one of Bottalack is sublime.

Great set of images, please can I check which Tamron you used and if it AF on the z bodies?

Thank you

Great set of images, please can I check which Tamron you used and if it AF on the z bodies?

Thank you

This is the lens: https://www.tamron.com/global/consumer/lenses/a037/
AF works really well on the Z8, seems very quick and accurate. It also worked really well on my previous D850 (much better than any of the Nikon lenses in live view in fact). I picked one up cheap from MPB to use with my D850 as I wasn't particularly enamoured with any of the Nikon WA zoom offerings (for me a lens with a filter thread was a must).

Last edited:

This is the lens: https://www.tamron.com/global/consumer/lenses/a037/
AF works really well on the Z8, seems very quick and accurate. It also worked really well on my previous D850 (much better than any of the Nikon lenses in live view in fact). I picked one up cheap from MPB to use with my D850 as I wasn't particularly enamoured with any of the Nikon WA zoom offerings (for me a lens with a filter thread was a must).
Thank you, want to get a wide for occasional use so will keep an eye for a cheap one.

Thank you, want to get a wide for occasional use so will keep an eye for a cheap one.
I'll likely be moving mine on at some point - just need to decide between the Z 14-30 and 17-28 first (a decision which I seem to be struggling with). That said, the 100-400 is likely to be my first Z lens so replacing the Tamron is likely to be a bit further down the line...

Last edited:
I'll likely be moving mine on at some point - just need to decide between the Z 14-30 and 17-28 first (a decision which I seem to be struggling with). That said, the 100-400 is likely to be my first Z lens so replacing the Tamron is likely to be a bit further down the line...
Thank you for the heads up, please let me know when you do.

Don't look. You'll only want one.
Well I just happened to be in town this morning and the store on the way back just happened to have one. Reasonably pretty, though it was actually smaller than I'd expected -- perhaps as everyone has said it's bigger than they'd expected. Exactly how to hold it is another matter but they have a grip in stock anyway. But no - I'm not going to rush out and buy. At the very least, I need to see what the Z6iii bring to the table and that's surely just weeks away now.

Well I just happened to be in town this morning and the store on the way back just happened to have one. Reasonably pretty, though it was actually smaller than I'd expected -- perhaps as everyone has said it's bigger than they'd expected. Exactly how to hold it is another matter but they have a grip in stock anyway. But no - I'm not going to rush out and buy. At the very least, I need to see what the Z6iii bring to the table and that's surely just weeks away now.
Ah but how many weeks? You know you want to ... :D

I suspect any Z6iii won’t offer much more than what’s in the Zf other than being more comfortable in the hand & probably a bit lighter. :ROFLMAO:

it will at least offer a proper card slot. The single most annoying thing about the Zf is that it doesn't have a XQD card slot.Having got used to the speed of these cards (and reliability), I'm not sure I'd want to go back, although of course my Df uses standard SD's and I'm far from a high volume shooter so the drawbacks are probably more apparent than real -- and no doubt SD cards are faster these days than what I have. And there would be no further situations like on a photo workshop I was on yesterday when I had to make an extra return journey home as the course leader had no way of reading my card and I hadn't thought to take the reader with me...

I hope you guys can help me decide - I'm loving my new Zf camera and would like to get a nice little lens for it - Some small lens with character.
I only have 40/2 SE and 24-70/4 zoom at this moment, but I prefer small lens. Even if its MF.
That is why I was looking at Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 VM II, or Voigtlander 50 APO Z. Or should I look into old AIS lens? Or some E or G to mount on FTZ?
I wanted 58G, but it's hard to find a nice copy that doesn't have that front edge battered, plus with FTZ adapter it would be huge and front heavy. Plus would be an amazaing lens with character, great for portraits etc - thats all I know from reading on internet as I never had this one before.
But again, I'm after some nice little lens, always loved my Voigtlanders on Sony (even I had all VM on it).

I hope you guys can help me decide - I'm loving my new Zf camera and would like to get a nice little lens for it - Some small lens with character.
I only have 40/2 SE and 24-70/4 zoom at this moment, but I prefer small lens. Even if its MF.
That is why I was looking at Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 VM II, or Voigtlander 50 APO Z. Or should I look into old AIS lens? Or some E or G to mount on FTZ?
I wanted 58G, but it's hard to find a nice copy that doesn't have that front edge battered, plus with FTZ adapter it would be huge and front heavy. Plus would be an amazaing lens with character, great for portraits etc - thats all I know from reading on internet as I never had this one before.
But again, I'm after some nice little lens, always loved my Voigtlanders on Sony (even I had all VM on it).

If you don't mind MF then look for a Jupiter 3. It's 50mm f/1.5 and is a super lens with lovely DOF and character. And it's very small.

I’ve 3 manual focus lenses for mine.
Typoch Simera 28mm f1.4. It’s a VM Mount. I use a Voigtlander adapter.
Artralab NoNikkor 35mm f1.4 Z mount. Based on an 80’s Nikon AIs
Voigtlander 50mm f2 APO Z mount.
The smallest is the Artralab. Then Typoch, Then Voigtlander.
All are plenty sharp enough. The Voigtlander is the easiest to focus as it’s got electrical connections Doesn’t mean the other two are exactly hard to use. The Zf is a manual focus dream.

I love my Voigtlander 50mm f2 APO Z mount, but thinking of swapping it for the upcoming Voigtlander 75mm F1.5, I can only justify 1 MF lens and I "might" swap the wonderful ZF for a Z8.

I’ve 3 manual focus lenses for mine.
Typoch Simera 28mm f1.4. It’s a VM Mount. I use a Voigtlander adapter.
Artralab NoNikkor 35mm f1.4 Z mount. Based on an 80’s Nikon AIs
Voigtlander 50mm f2 APO Z mount.
The smallest is the Artralab. Then Typoch, Then Voigtlander.
All are plenty sharp enough. The Voigtlander is the easiest to focus as it’s got electrical connections Doesn’t mean the other two are exactly hard to use. The Zf is a manual focus dream.

What do you think of your 50 APO? Compared to any other 50mm you used previously, do you think it is worth its price?

What do you think of your 50 APO? Compared to any other 50mm you used previously, do you think it is worth its price?
It’s wonderful. Very sharp with fabulous rendering. Very well built. Definitely worth the money. I’ve owned several good 50’s including the 50mm S which I loved. Also the super Sony 50mm f1.2 GM. Voigtlander easily holds it own.

Back