Nikon Z* mirrorless

I recently ordered a new Z8 and 180-600mm lens from Panamoz.

The Z8 I have now used a few times in different shooting scenarios and I'm very impressed with it.

Yesterday was the first opportunity for me to properly test my new lens - 7 hours spent shooting in a wildlife hide.

It wasn't long before I realised that the images were soft. I tested at various apertures and using various focus methods including spot and eye detect. I was still convinced the sharpness was poor. My friend was beside me using a Sigma 150-600 C on his Sony and was getting significantly better results on the same subjects.

Interestingly enough, I tried with VR both on and off and it made no discernible difference even at maximum magnification. I had read elsewhere that this was one particular lens where turning off the VR when. it was tripod mounted made a huge difference.

Yesterday I carried out my own side by side testing in my garden, using tripod and gimbal (same as yesterday) and swapping between my own Sigma 150-600c and the Nikon. The Sigma outperformed it on every setting.

I can only assume that I have a 'bad' copy as I've read so many glowing reviews of the lens.

I've contacted Panamoz and requested a replacement but I am outside of their normal 14 day return policy so I know they will just offer a repair at best.

Very disappointing.
The first 180-600 I ordered was from Nikon UK directly and I was so disappointed after testing as it was noticeably softer at the long end than I was anticipating or willing to accept.

I returned mine to Nikon UK and to be fair I got a full credit back in a matter of days. Then a few months later I thought I’d give the lens a go again but this time purchased grey market. This second copy is perfect and everything I’d hoped the first one would have been (certainly within its price point)

Slightly different Z topic. Has anyone tried using powerbanks for charging of the Z cameras that either allow in-use in camera battery charging via USB-C

I think the Z6/7 can be USBc charged in non-use and
I think the Z6/7 ii Z8 & Z9 can be USBc charged in-use

But are there any specifications for powerbanks and more and more powerbanks are outputting at higher wattage to allow charging of things like Macs and other devices that are being built with their power charging ports being USBc?

Slightly different Z topic. Has anyone tried using powerbanks for charging of the Z cameras that either allow in-use in camera battery charging via USB-C

I think the Z6/7 can be USBc charged in non-use and
I think the Z6/7 ii Z8 & Z9 can be USBc charged in-use

But are there any specifications for powerbanks and more and more powerbanks are outputting at higher wattage to allow charging of things like Macs and other devices that are being built with their power charging ports being USBc?
My Zf charges fine with a power bank. Never tried it whilst in use - no need in my circumstances. It's an old Anker which I've had for a few years.

The first 180-600 I ordered was from Nikon UK directly and I was so disappointed after testing as it was noticeably softer at the long end than I was anticipating or willing to accept.

I returned mine to Nikon UK and to be fair I got a full credit back in a matter of days. Then a few months later I thought I’d give the lens a go again but this time purchased grey market. This second copy is perfect and everything I’d hoped the first one would have been (certainly within its price point)

Well Panamoz have offered a refund, which is great service. They said they wouldn't want to replace the lens in case I'm not happy with the replacement, as they couldn't keep offering exchanges. Part of me thinks fair enough, while another part of me thinks that doesn't say much for Nikon quality control....

I'll need to carefully consider what to do with the refund when it comes through. I still have my Sigma 150-600 - had to cancel an eBay sale over the weekend when I realised there was an issue with the new lens. Maybe I just need to carry on shooting with it.

Last edited:
Well Panamoz have offered a refund, which is great service. They said they wouldn't want to replace the lens in case I'm NJ it happy with the replacement, as they couldn't keep offering exchanges. Part of me thinks fair enough, while another part of me thinks that doesn't say much for Nikon quality control....

I'll need to carefully consider what to do with the refund when it comes through. I still have my Sigma 150-600 - had to cancel an eBay sale over the weekend when I realised there was an issue with the new lens. Maybe I just need to carry on shooting with it.
I think there's too many reports of sample variation out there, i'd stick with the Sigma.

A few test shots today with the ZF and Nikon Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AF-D. In conjunction with the FTZ1 adapter, these are all done in manual everything. I've always loved this lens and used it extensively with DLSRs but this is the first time I've tried it with mirrorless. Have to say, it works for me and is a real joy to MF with the ZF. All images were at f/1.4 except the bay shot, which was at f/2.8. Appley Beach, Ryde, Isle of Wight.

85-1.4-3 copy.jpg

85-1.4-1.jpg

85-1.4-6 copy.jpg

85-1.4-4 copy.jpg

85-1.4-2 copy.jpg

85-1.4-7.jpg

Last edited:
Went to the East Cowes RNLI open day today. Whilst there were many photo opportunities of the boats and other stuff, the buildings and architecture was what fascinated me. This particular shot was one I enjoyed. Nikon ZF plus Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S.

RNLI-2.jpg

TP_venice_sitting_outside.jpg

another taken from the motor, (speed boat as the driver was Italian!), boat, (locally called a Vaporetto)

The VR in the Zf is good as this and most others were taken at 1/250sec from a moving boat and I would say that only 10% were not in focus - all I had to do was to "straighten" the verticals a little on some as the shots were taken at/below "ground" level, so I was really looking up - although many buildings were not naturally perfectly vertical or horizontal.

The sensor in the Zf appears to treat colours differently versus the sensor in the D850 - but the colours at this end of Venice were not as "smart" as those in the centre - the light was good but varied a lot, bright sun, rain, very dark rain clouds, we got it all!

TP_doors_from_Boat.jpg

TP_Venice_Couple_at_bar.jpg

Last edited:
OK, this is an "out there" question, that I'll either get scolded for or hopefully get a solution :)

I've recently been using my new Sony A6700 a lot for general shooting as it's so small and light and mainly for the Video which is fantastic. 4k 25,50 and 100 (ablet the last one with a additional 1.5 crop), all in H265 422 Colour space. I've settled on the S-Cinetone picture profile (# 11 for those that have Sony cameras). I really like the look of videos with the S-Cinetone profile which look really natural and very realistic and most of the time require little to no colour correction in Davinci.

I was therefore wondering if anyone knows if the S-Cinetone profile can be emulated in Nikon's Picture Control Editor for use in my Nikon Z bodies instead ? Having never used the utility, I wouldn't know where to begin ?

I'm finding the Z 400mm f4.5 lens a little to short for my needs, so I'm going to sell it...I have tried searching on here for any previous sales but I cant seem to find any. Anyone have ideas for used prices for a UK lens bought from Wex last August ?

OK, this is an "out there" question, that I'll either get scolded for or hopefully get a solution :)

I've recently been using my new Sony A6700 a lot for general shooting as it's so small and light and mainly for the Video which is fantastic. 4k 25,50 and 100 (ablet the last one with a additional 1.5 crop), all in H265 422 Colour space. I've settled on the S-Cinetone picture profile (# 11 for those that have Sony cameras). I really like the look of videos with the S-Cinetone profile which look really natural and very realistic and most of the time require little to no colour correction in Davinci.

I was therefore wondering if anyone knows if the S-Cinetone profile can be emulated in Nikon's Picture Control Editor for use in my Nikon Z bodies instead ? Having never used the utility, I wouldn't know where to begin ?
Try taking an image from the Sony whose profile you like then try here. https://nikonpc.com/
This may work.
Alternatively ....
Try taking two images with the Sony, one with and the other without the S-Cinetone profile and make a LUT in Photoshop that you can then apply to any image in your post processing.
These are just my speculative thoughts as I havent tested this myself.
Making LUTs is easy with 3D LUT Creator but is an expensive software.

I'm finding the Z 400mm f4.5 lens a little to short for my needs, so I'm going to sell it...I have tried searching on here for any previous sales but I cant seem to find any. Anyone have ideas for used prices for a UK lens bought from Wex last August ?
Even with the 1.4x?

Have you tried a 1.5 converter?

When I want a rough idea of second hand values I tend to look at eBay Completed Listings.
They hi-Lite in green prices fetched, not hi-Lited means it didn't sell.

Even with the 1.4x?

Yes it takes the 1.4x well.
Will be cheaper than changing lenses.

Have you tried a 1.5 converter?

When I want a rough idea of second hand values I tend to look at eBay Completed Listings.
They hi-Lite in green prices fetched, not hi-Lited means it didn't sell.
Thanks for the replies

I should have mentioned I also have the Z 1.4 Teleconverter. I'm ambulant disabled and in general I have the camera/lens set up on a tripod to photograph the birds in my garden. Luckily for me, we back onto woodlands/countryside, I have numerous trees in my garden along with a stream so wildlife is prominent in my garden. The current set up is just a tad short. I think I would be okay with a 500mm lens. I could possibly use the Z 1.4 TC on my 70-180mm lens for when going out on my scooter or possibly buy a 300mm PF f4 lens.

I'm thinking of possibly a SH 500mm F4 AFS lens with a 1.4TC or 600mm not sure which will work best with the FTZ and obviously depending on prices, especially for the 600mm....I think I have seen it mentioned the 500mm PF f5.6 lens works good a TC in good light. The PF would be probably be best due to the weight. I Could also try one of the Sigma 600mm lenses.

If I had realised I could use the 500mm PF lens when I came back to Nikon I would have purchased that instead of the 400mm lens. And at the time, IIRC I paid 3.2k for the lens new from WEX.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies

I should have mentioned I also have the Z 1.4 Teleconverter. I'm ambulant disabled and in general I have the camera/lens set up on a tripod to photograph the birds in my garden. Luckily for me, we back onto woodlands/countryside, I have numerous trees in my garden along with a stream so wildlife is prominent in my garden. The current set up is just a tad short. I think I would be okay with a 500mm lens. I could possibly use the Z 1.4 TC on my 70-180mm lens for when going out on my scooter or possibly buy a 300mm PF f4 lens.

I'm thinking of possibly a SH 500mm F4 AFS lens with a 1.4TC or 600mm not sure which will work best with the FTZ and obviously depending on prices, especially for the 600mm....I think I have seen it mentioned the 500mm PF f5.6 lens works good a TC in good light. The PF would be probably be best due to the weight. I Could also try one of the Sigma 600mm lenses.

If I had realised I could use the 500mm PF lens when I came back to Nikon I would have purchased that instead of the 400mm lens. And at the time, IIRC I paid 3.2k for the lens new from WEX.

F5.6 with 1.4x is a bit too dark for my liking in this country.

There is a 800mm f6.3 PF you could look into.

And also a 600mm f6.3 PF. But once again with 1.4x it's a bit dark imo

How are you all finding the colours on the Zf versus other Nikon DSLR's or other makes of camera

I find them quite distinctive ............ maybe of the "dark" side if that is the correct word - or maybe "rich" or "deep" is a better description

I'm not complaining just interested in what others think

Back