Nikon Z* mirrorless

I’ll have a look later, but bear in mind that Nikon will buy their batteries from many different manufacturers but to their specifications. Nikon should be able to identify the batteries.

Surely they’d have the same mold where they’re produced. Nikon wouldn’t have numerous versions of the same battery case. Understandably they’d use different suppliers for the cells inside but not the casing. Please compare to your original too.

Got a spare from Panamoz with my Z6 purchase. It’s exactly the same

I’ll have a look later, but bear in mind that Nikon will buy their batteries from many different manufacturers but to their specifications. Nikon should be able to identify the batteries.

Update: my spare battery was supplied at the same time as the camera by Panamoz. Both of them seem identical to your “original” battery.

So three people with spares from Panamoz match their originals bundled with the camera.

Think that’s confirmation of fake.

On a different note, I decided to stick with the Z6. Instead of investing money into switching systems for an extra 30mm in a lens. I’ve invested in a Star Tracker (Star Adventurer Mini), Vango Banshee 300 Tent, Exped Down sleeping mats, MSR Windburner Stove, Petzl Actik Headtorch ready for some camping this weekend, and wild camping in the future. Think this is a better use of the money because I’ll actually get out and shoot what I want. Shame about the weather this weekend though, not sure if I’ll be able to do any Milky Way with the tracker as planned. Hoping 24mm on the 24-70/4S will be wide enough. I can’t get the 14-30 yet, which I want now.

Last edited:
So three people with spares from Panamoz match their originals bundled with the camera.

Think that’s confirmation of fake.

On a different note, I decided to stick with the Z6. Instead of investing money into switching systems for a focal length. I’ve invested in a Star Tracker (Star Adventurer Mini), Vango Banshee 300 Tent, Exped Down sleeping mats, MSR Windburner Stove, Petzl Actik Headtorch ready for some camping this weekend, and wild camping in the future. Think this is a better use of the money because I’ll actually get out and shoot what I want. Shame about the weather this weekend though, not sure if I’ll be able to do any Milky Way with the tracker.
Looks like a fake to me, I've never seen one with the extra 'engraving' before.

Actually, I've had a weird moment with "official" batteries as well. Ordered my Z6 from Panamoz and at the same time ordered a spare EN-EL15b from them as well. All arrived in the same box, but whilst the one "inside" the accessories box of the Z6 worked fine, the "spare" one I'd ordered worked a little weird. Whilst it would charge in the supplied AC charger, it wouldn't charge via USB like the other one, and the "charge" LED on the camera would blink furiously.

I noticed that the "original" battery with the Z6 has no "EN-EL15b" inscribed on the top surface (as per the photo above), but the "spare" one did. I contacted Panamoz, and as usual they were excellent and apologised for the inconvenience, and asked me to purchase one locally (which I did from Clifton cameras), send them the bill and they would reimburse me (which they did in a day). When the new battery arrived from Clifton Cameras, I noticed it was like the "original" one supplied with the camera i.e. no model type (EN-EL15b) engraved on the upper surface of the battery. This one also charges beautifully on the Z6 as well over USB.

Therefore I can only conclude from my 3 samples (2 without the engraving which work as expected, and one with the engraving that doesn't charge via USB), that the ones with the engraving are the fakes - and I guess there must be a load of them about if it's now affecting 2 suppliers.

As a final point of note, whilst the "fake" battery doesn't charge via USB, it does still seem to work OK in the camera (if charged via the AC charger), and still shows battery life, shots taken etc. in the camera, but I've relegated this unit to the role of emergency 4th spare after my other two genuine units, and a non "B" version original unit I had left over from my D500.

Last edited:
Actually, I've had a weird moment with "official" batteries as well. Ordered my Z6 from Panamoz and at the same time ordered a spare EN-EL15b from them as well. All arrived in the same box, but whilst the one "inside" the accessories box of the Z6 worked fine, the "spare" one I'd ordered worked a little weird. Whilst it would charge in the supplied AC charger, it wouldn't charge via USB like the other one, and the "charge" LED on the camera would blink furiously.

I noticed that the "original" battery with the Z6 has no "EN-EL15b" inscribed on the top surface (as per the photo above), but the "spare" one did. I contacted Panamoz, and as usual they were excellent and apologised for the inconvenience, and asked me to purchase one locally (which I did from Clifton cameras), send them the bill and they would reimburse me (which they did in a day). When the new battery arrived from Clifton Cameras, I noticed it was like the "original" one supplied with the camera i.e. no model type (EN-EL15b) engraved on the upper surface of the battery. This one also charges beautifully on the Z6 as well over USB.

Therefore I can only conclude from my 3 samples (2 without the engraving which work as expected, and one with the engraving that doesn't charge via USB), that the ones with the engraving are the fakes - and I guess there must be a load of them about if it's now affecting 2 suppliers.

As a final point of note, whilst the "fake" battery doesn't charge via USB, it does still seem to work OK in the camera (if charged via the AC charger), and still shows battery life, shots taken etc. in the camera, but I've relegated this unit to the role of emergency 4th spare after my other two genuine units, and a non "B" version original unit I had left over from my D500.
Thanks for the info, I will check my extra one when it arrives from Panamoz (y)

What is going on with lens prices these days, I was quite interested in the 14-30mm until I saw the price :eek: Then there's the 24-70mm at over £2k for both F mount and Z mount, god knows what the z 70-200mm f2.8 will be :oops: :$ Is it me, or have lens prices gone crazy over the past 2-3 years?

What is going on with lens prices these days, I was quite interested in the 14-30mm until I saw the price :eek: Then there's the 24-70mm at over £2k for both F mount and Z mount, god knows what the z 70-200mm f2.8 will be :oops: :$ Is it me, or have lens prices gone crazy over the past 2-3 years?

Are you switching to a Z?

Lens prices are crazy for all of these FFML cameras IMO, if I bought a Z6 I would adapt the hell out of Nikon's back catalog, I'd rather buy 5-6 old well used but decent lenses than fork out for one over priced Z variant. I'm not a pro ... or rich :D but my eyes work and I can see that these modern ML lenses are not 4-5 times better than the old guard. The 50mm 1.8 z being a good example.

Lens prices are crazy for all of these FFML cameras IMO, if I bought a Z6 I would adapt the hell out of Nikon's back catalog, I'd rather buy 5-6 old well used but decent lenses than fork out for one over priced Z variant. I'm not a pro ... or rich :D but my eyes work and I can see that these modern ML lenses are not 4-5 times better than the old guard. The 50mm 1.8 z being a good example.
Yep, D850 gone and Z7 on the way (y). I know it's a backwards step in terms of performance but there's no doubting I prefer the mirrorless form factor and I don't need top performance except for one event/year, for which I'll manage (y)

Yep, D850 gone and Z7 on the way (y). I know it's a backwards step in terms of performance but there's no doubting I prefer the mirrorless form factor and I don't need top performance except for one event/year, for which I'll manage (y)

Nice! Best of luck with it. I think you'll love it ... bar those lens prices :O

It's a new system. Hopefully prices will fall as it gains momentum and 3rd party manufacturers come on board - fingers crossed! :confused:

Thanks. I still have the 18-35mm, 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 VRII F-mounts so will use those for now. I ordered the Z7 with the 24-70mm as it seemed a no brainer getting the lens for £200 when it retails at £900 UK :eek:

As much as I love my Olympus EM1X and EM1 MK II (and even my X-T3), since getting my Z6, none of them have really had a look in. I like it that much even though I only have a minimal collection of lenses (24-70 F4 Z, 50mm F1.8 AF-S G and the 70-300 AF-P - the latter 2 via the FTZ adaptor).

@Sootchucker

Glad you’re enjoying it Andrew.
Mines feeling left out since the arrival of my latest toy.
Probably change when I get the 14-30, maybe...

As much as I love my Olympus EM1X and EM1 MK II (and even my X-T3), since getting my Z6, none of them have really had a look in. I like it that much even though I only have a minimal collection of lenses (24-70 F4 Z, 50mm F1.8 AF-S G and the 70-300 AF-P - the latter 2 via the FTZ adaptor).
How do you find the focus speed and tracking of the Z6 compared to the EM1-II?
@Sootchucker

Glad you’re enjoying it Andrew.
Mines feeling left out since the arrival of my latest toy.
Probably change when I get the 14-30, maybe...
What's the new toy?

Nice, that's one hell of an upgrade (y). What's the difference between the Q and Q-P?

Not much. Just aesthetics really. No red dot and matte black finish. Has the word Leica engraved on the top plate.
Love it.

You had me checking as I purchased one from e-infinity (camera from panamoz) ; mine is identical to the one supplied with the camera.[/QUOTE

Currently on my hols but read this thread and checked both of my Nikon original batteries. They are identical in every way .... I bought my spare one from e-infinity...

I agree-- I tried out the 50mm f1.8S and quite recently bought an AIS 50mm f1.2. The S lens has a little better resolution but even pixel-peeping shows very little by around f4. The main difference with the new gen. is specific performance characteristics such as no hazy glow at wide open (which isn't always an advantage), less bokeh fringing (though no less purple fringing from brief comparisons), somewhat better against the light performance. I hesitate to say better correction as without the help of software, there can be some pretty odd curves about. Of course if you really want to see older lenses at their best, you should arguably not get a modern sensor at all. Just about anything half-decent worked well on the D700 with its 12mp sensor for instance. My only remaining lens from that time is the 50mm f1.8 AIS which has been good enough on every single of at least half a dozen other cameras it's been used on but has now been surpassed by the f1.2 version and is up for sale -- anyone interested by any chance?

Having said that, one point of the new Z system is that we can get first-rate AF lenses for less bulk and weight than before. Which is one of the main reasons we're here isn't it?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried sigma and/or tamron on the Z's with the FTZ? Do they work?

Has anyone tried sigma and/or tamron on the Z's with the FTZ? Do they work?

Sigmas generally work (lenses from the Art, Contemporary and Sport marks), Tamrons generally have more problems...only their G2 lenses work and only after a FW upgrade...at least that's what I know so far.

I’m getting quite excited about the arrival of the Z7 now. The D850, as good as it is, wasn’t getting much use in favour of the EM1-II, I’m hoping the Z7 will re-ignite my love of Nikon (y)

Back