Nikon Z* mirrorless

Ok guys....

Just a few questions and like to know what others use.

In ISO Sensitivity Settings and if you have it set to auto what the minimum shutter speeds you use i normally have mine as Auto.
Do you use Active D-Lighting?
Do you use Raw Compression if so which.
Do you have Flicker Reduction shooting on or off

That it for now lol

Ok guys....

In ISO Sensitivity Settings and if you have it set to auto what the minimum shutter speeds you use i normally have mine as Auto.

That it for now lol
1) 1/15th and ISO-L (low)

2) no

3) no - to future-proof my raw files

4) yes, but I don’t know why

@rookies

I use electronic shutter
Manual with Auto ISO
No idea what minimum shutter.
Active D. RAWcompression. Flicker reduction. Still as when I unboxed the camera.
I don’t shoot wildlife or sports.

Ok guys....

That it for now lol
1) ISO range 64-12800, shutter speed set to Auto
2) No, it only affects JPEG as far as I'm aware
3) Yes, lossless 14 bit.
4) On/auto

Anybody moved from the Sony FE system to the Nikon Z?
If so what are you reasons? :D (this should be fun).

Sony’s a great system to be fair, I totally get why people buy them (y)

I get why they buy them too, what I don't get is why some suddenly think they bought shares in the company along with the gear :D

I wanted an A7III for a while, really wanted to try one, I even looked at the older A7RII as a way in - reckoned I could have profited on selling a good copy of that on locally and then move to a 7III - but it didn't work out. I honestly think if I had the funds now I'd give the Z6 a try instead. I really like the look of the 50mm 1.8 S and there's some old F mount lenses I'd like to have again

I get why they buy them too, what I don't get is why some suddenly think they bought shares in the company along with the gear :D

I wanted an A7III for a while, really wanted to try one, I even looked at the older A7RII as a way in - reckoned I could have profited on selling a good copy of that on locally and then move to a 7III - but it didn't work out. I honestly think if I had the funds now I'd give the Z6 a try instead. I really like the look of the 50mm 1.8 S and there's some old F mount lenses I'd like to have again
I was on the brink of going Sony, even priced all my Nikon gear in for the swap, it was when the A7RIII came out. The only thing that stopped me with the ergonomics.

I think I’d have been more than happy with Sony, but I have always preferred Nikon’s outputs I’m glad Nikon have gone mirrorless.

If the gen 2 has min 8fps with real time view, and connectivity for a usable grip I think it’ll be all the camera I ever need. AF improvements are a given, although I’ve not found the Z7 wanting yet.

I was on the brink of going Sony, even priced all my Nikon gear in for the swap, it was when the A7RIII came out. The only thing that stopped me with the ergonomics.

I think I’d have been more than happy with Sony, but I have always preferred Nikon’s outputs I’m glad Nikon have gone mirrorless.

If the gen 2 has min 8fps with real time view, and connectivity for a usable grip I think it’ll be all the camera I ever need. AF improvements are a given, although I’ve not found the Z7 wanting yet.

There was a few cons about the RII that stopped me, one being the God awful sound of the shutter, I just know that would wreck my head. It sounds like an old printer when you click it. The other was no joystick or touch screen, I'm not going back to using D-Pads, what is it a Sega Megadrive!? :D - one card slot wasn't a deal breaker for me, nor was the all-over-the-shop Sony menu system, but I can imagine that being a little frustrating at the start when setting up. Then there's the ergonomics, no secret that I always prefer the cameras with the beefier grip. I believe it was after the RII they did improve on the grips, the A7III is slightly better as would the 7RIII

See, when you guys are buying into the next round of FF ML, that's when the budget hunters like me will snatch up your older models for half what you paid ;)

Last edited:

Yes I agree with Toby here.. Ok the Sony was a lovely camera dont get me wrong.. The ergonomics of it was annoying I did kind of got use to it but when I handed a Z6 I though that it I got to go back to a DSLR feel of a camera in a small body know what i mean. Also as Toby says the Nikon output are just wonderful.

IF the bring out a new firmware to speed up the AF then it be a decent camera but I have not had anything to struggle with with AF wise I have nailed everything I taken with it so far..

So having a read around it looks like the 70-200 should of came out end of this year but it being delayed to next year. I know prices might not be good a few of you say around the £2500 to £3000 mark...

I am trying to avoid getting any other nikon lens as I didn't get the adaptor to help me avoid. I am hoping to stay native as I can always borrow a 70-200 of a friend when I need to.

Is there anything about a macro lens coming out for this?

So having a read around it looks like the 70-200 should of came out end of this year but it being delayed to next year. I know prices might not be good a few of you say around the £2500 to £3000 mark...

I am trying to avoid getting any other nikon lens as I didn't get the adaptor to help me avoid. I am hoping to stay native as I can always borrow a 70-200 of a friend when I need to.

Is there anything about a macro lens coming out for this?

There is one planned as per the new roadmap
https://m.dpreview.com/news/0169695294/nikon-announces-z-mount-lens-roadmap

But no timeline published.

Hmm some good line up there I think... 100-400 could possibly interest me
Yeah looks very decent.

Having just moved from 100-400 to 200-600 I would much prefer the 200-600mm which is also on the roadmap. I hope that comes out first :D

Yeah looks very decent.

Having just moved from 100-400 to 200-600 I would much prefer the 200-600mm which is also on the roadmap. I hope that comes out first :D

Depends on price might be a good plan 70-200 and a 200 - 600

Yeah looks very decent.

100-400mm with Z7 to keep the weight down (y)

Didn’t the old roadmap have the 70-200 released this year and there was pics of it too? It’s one of the main stumbling blocks for me if I ever wanted to swap back to Nikon.

Plus I’m not sure the AF is quite there yet for sports - although I’m guessing there has been some updates since.

The Z and canons AF are much better after fw updates, IMO Sony could learn something here especially with the processing power they have, could’ve skipped an early gen 4.

Didn’t the old roadmap have the 70-200 released this year and there was pics of it too? It’s one of the main stumbling blocks for me if I ever wanted to swap back to Nikon.

Plus I’m not sure the AF is quite there yet for sports - although I’m guessing there has been some updates since.

Pretty much my issue. AF, IQ and optics wise Sony is great. Usability wise leaves a lot to be desired especially after using Z7.

Anyone using a flash with theirs if so which pls?

Does this phone app allowed shutter release ?

The Z and canons AF are much better after fw updates, IMO Sony could learn something here especially with the processing power they have, could’ve skipped an early gen 4.

True, but I just thought the 70-200 would have been out sooner. I’m not up for the whole adaptor thing. Reckon they are struggling with the optics or just delaying it for the Z6/7 Mk2

They make good bridge cameras. Tried RX100 series, UI sucks.

7945432-3x2-940x627.jpg

True, but I just thought the 70-200 would have been out sooner. I’m not up for the whole adaptor thing. Reckon they are struggling with the optics or just delaying it for the Z6/7 Mk2
What does that even mean? It's not like they have a full line up yet or they have a sports bodies coming to hold up tele-lenses. The next sports body still be a DSLR as per their recent announcement.

Costs money, they can’t release every lens everyone wants overnight, it took Sony years.

Costs money, they can’t release every lens everyone wants overnight, it took Sony years.

Then why put it on the 2019 road map and even show pics of it?

If it was taken with a Z it would’ve been focused on the nearest tree which could be miles away :D

Only in video, which nobody cares about :D

When I get a new camera with 4K video I test it just to make sure it works then never use it again. Does make me wonder how much R&D time gets wasted on those features?

Of course I know plenty out there see video features as priority, but screw them! :p

Back