Nikon Z* mirrorless

What does that even mean? It's not like they have a full line up yet or they have a sports bodies coming to hold up tele-lenses. The next sports body still be a DSLR as per their recent announcement.

What does it mean? It means what I wrote.

Only in video, which nobody cares about :D

When I get a new camera with 4K video I test it just to make sure it works then never use it again. Does make me wonder how much R&D time gets wasted on those features?

Of course I know plenty out there see video features as priority, but screw them! :p

nope, in stills, that eye af loves the green stuff.

nope, in stills, that eye af loves the green stuff.

No prob with Eye AF here unless the latest firmware corrected the issue you seen in reviews?

You’re not checking it well enough or comparing against a Sony. Nowhere near as good.

Up to now no complaint from me. Ok doesn’t work on dogs as good but that took Sony years to do. Nikon done theirs on there first Mirrorless

Up to now no complaint from me. Ok doesn’t work on dogs as good but that took Sony years to do. Nikon done theirs on there first Mirrorless

First full frame yes. But they have been doing mirrorless since 2011*

*i think

I had 2x SB900 at one time ... bought them on here in fact. Thinking on it now, for what little I use flash, that was probably the biggest waste of money I spent on gear in one go. When you can get just as much power from much cheaper third party flash units. I would look to the likes of Godox or Yongnuo

You’re not checking it well enough or comparing against a Sony. Nowhere near as good.
Nope Sony still leading the way in that regard. The Nikon’s not bad to be fair though, mine’s not found trees yet ;)

Been reading Manuel and they mention AF-F but I don’t see that ok mine

It's never even an issue unless you state it in the Sony thread tbh. People switch and change all the time, it's no biggy. A fair few have switched from Sony to Fuji too recently

Yeah I’ve made the move from Sony to Fuji in the past to release some money, still preferred the full-frame system so ended going back to Sony.
I’m looking a possible move to Nikon to pretty much do the same, scale down my kit cost wise and release some money back into my piggy bank. :)
The Sony system is great but so is pretty much the Fuji system for different reasons.

One area Nikon could compromise on is the release of its af protocols to third parties. The Sony system has some amazing 3rd party lenses and plenty more in the pipeline with none of the associated problems that typically exist/ed with dslr such as af accuracy/fine tuning.

One area Nikon could compromise on is the release of its af protocols to third parties. The Sony system has some amazing 3rd party lenses and plenty more in the pipeline with none of the associated problems that typically exist/ed with dslr such as af accuracy/fine tuning.

It will happen. Think it took ages for 3rd parties to do sonyb

You can still need AF fine-tune on mirrorless cameras if they use on-sensor PDAF for AF-C focusing, don't ask me why because I don't know, I would think if the PDAF was on the sensor it should be as accurate as CDAF.

It will happen. Think it took ages for 3rd parties to do sonyb
I’m not so sure. Until they do they are just going to lose more and more ground to Sony (not that they have much ground at the moment!) as some of those 3rd part lenses are ace and very affordable.

Yeah I’ve made the move from Sony to Fuji in the past to release some money, still preferred the full-frame system so ended going back to Sony.
I’m looking a possible move to Nikon to pretty much do the same, scale down my kit cost wise and release some money back into my piggy bank. :)
The Sony system is great but so is pretty much the Fuji system for different reasons.
If I was you I'd wait til the gen 2 Nikon. The Z's are great, and AF is much better than I and many initially thought/anticipated, but it's not quite as good as Sony. I think by the Gen 2's they'll have an extremely competitive lineup of cameras. The Gen 1's are truly impressive for a first attempt so imagine what the gen 2's will be like (y)
I can see Sigma Arts being released for the Z system, but I'm not so sure about Zeiss etc. That being said there is a Sony to Nikon adapter so I'd imagine you can use Sony Zeiss lenses on Nikon.

Phase detect can have inaccuracies whatever the system.
You can still need AF fine-tune on mirrorless cameras if they use on-sensor PDAF for AF-C focusing, don't ask me why because I don't know, I would think if the PDAF was on the sensor it should be as accurate as CDAF.
The reason that PDAF has inaccuracies is because it uses complicated algorithms that take into consideration distance, movement etc etc and is not purely based on bringing two images together or relying on contrast. This makes PDAF faster, but with the possibility of tolerances. If you then combine this with a lens that is not calibrated to that specific camera it can exaggerate the tolerances.

Most mirrorless negate this as much as possible by combining PDAF with contrast detect (hybrid AF) so you get the speed of PDAF with the accuracy of contrast detect (in theory). When I spoke to Nikon they advised me that the Z series use hybrid AF for all applications except pinpoint AF which uses contrast detect only. This would suggest to me that contrast detect is still considered more accurate than hybrid, although Nikon would not divulge any more info on the exact mechanisms (understandably so). I then went on to ask them why they have AF fine tune if a form of contrast detect is always used and therefore should be accurate. Their response was:-

"The AF-Fine Tune feature is not used to correct a problem, it never has. The idea is that AF-Fine Tune will allow a user to adjust the focus based on their own ideals which may be slightly different than what the camera is producing. If your lens has a focus problem you should return it to Nikon Service as AF Fine-Tune is not intended to solve optical problems which will generally be outside of scope for this tool"

Now I've always used AF fine tune to correct front/back focus, but that's because I couldn't be bothered to send all of o my gear back to Nikon every time I bought a new lens, but also realised that if you used AF fine tune it could be a little less predictable. I know a Canon user that has some serious kit (probably worth more than my car) who does just that, send his gear off all the time, but then he has a 24 hour turnaround.

Under some certain lighting does your screen flicker on the camera guys?

Under some certain lighting does your screen flicker on the camera guys?
Can’t say I’ve noticed it but I would guess if the refresh rate of the EVF ‘clashes’ with the frequency of artificial light it might cause it? Just a theory ;)

Just revisited the Z lens roadmap and there seems to be a ‘strange’ ommision to me, no really fast 85mm. A 50mm f1.2 is listed but no 85mm f1.2 or f1.4. I’d have thought it was a given they’d be bringing one out, I thought it was a go to lens for a large portion of portrait folk?

Just revisited the Z lens roadmap and there seems to be a ‘strange’ ommision to me, no really fast 85mm. A 50mm f1.2 is listed but no 85mm f1.2 or f1.4. I’d have thought it was a given they’d be bringing one out, I thought it was a go to lens for a large portion of portrait folk?

Honestly think they need to get a decent macro option on there first

My own photography is very much centred around people at the moment and I’m very fortunate to own some very nice F mount portrait lenses but nothing in the Z lens range or roadmap looks even remotely interesting this side of £8k.

Does any 3rd party battery work on these?

Same here, just think an 85mm f1.4 is a staple part of a lens lineup.

It probably is but these days manufacturers seem to go for designs which are excellent into the extreme corners from wide open at 100% and that means three things... BIG, heavy and expensive but of course it depends on how far along that road the maker goes and at what point buyers wont buy.

In Sony land I went for the f1.8 for size reasons really rather than cost. Back when I had Canon DSLR's I thought that the Sigma 85mm f1.4 (and the 50mm f1.4 too) was the best lens I'd ever used and I couldn't imagine wanting a better lens but the latest larger f1.4 designs surpass anything that's come before, at the expense of bulk, weight and cost and to be honest it's the bulk and weight that put me off rather than the cost as such.

It probably is but these days manufacturers seem to go for designs which are excellent into the extreme corners from wide open at 100% and that means three things... BIG, heavy and expensive but of course it depends on how far along that road the maker goes and at what point buyers wont buy.

In Sony land I went for the f1.8 for size reasons really rather than cost. Back when I had Canon DSLR's I thought that the Sigma 85mm f1.4 (and the 50mm f1.4 too) was the best lens I'd ever used and I couldn't imagine wanting a better lens but the latest larger f1.4 designs surpass anything that's come before, at the expense of bulk, weight and cost and to be honest it's the bulk and weight that put me off rather than the cost as such.
I won’t ever be able to afford a Nikon 85mm f1.4 so it’s not something I’m interested in. Just thought it strange to be missing.

Does any 3rd party battery work on these?
Yes, I use ExPro. Only difference seems to be that you can't charge them in camera. Can't comment on battery life, as I don't usually run them below half-charge, and they tend to go down due to lack of use rather than shots taken.

Back