Nikon Z* mirrorless

Had a look at the Z6 this morning in Jessops and I was really impressed. The handling the ergonomics and the viewfinder I absolutely loved compared to my Sony A73 and a focus point in red that you can actually see.

Seriously tempted but I think the cost and size of lenses may be a stumbling block and the lenses aren't that small for mirrorless.

Had a look at the Z6 this morning in Jessops and I was really impressed. The handling the ergonomics and the viewfinder I absolutely loved compared to my Sony A73 and a focus point in red that you can actually see.

Seriously tempted but I think the cost and size of lenses may be a stumbling block and the lenses aren't that small for mirrorless.
Know what you mean about the lenses, but in mitigation they are all top quality and well-balanced - made specifically for the Z series, not just any old Nikon. That’s a consequence of the wide lens throat.

So glad I made the move and yes the red dot is a life saver.

Know what you mean about the lenses, but in mitigation they are all top quality and well-balanced - made specifically for the Z series, not just any old Nikon. That’s a consequence of the wide lens throat.
I'm very very tempted. Wonder if samyang will have plans for af lenses like they have Sony and canon. I have the 18mm for Sony and it's plastic but decent for £250

Totally agree the amount of times I've caught the screen with my nose and moved the focus point. And when it's greyed out you cannot see it.
For the cost of swapping you could buy an A9 which will let you change colour :D

Jokes aside, Zs definitely do better on usability. I'd say they are the best of lot after handling all other FF mirrorless bodies (bar S1H, A7RIV).

Would you say the 35mm z isn’t worth the extra over the G version then?

I’ve never tried the G Toby. Pretty happy with the Z (actually very happy)
Just wondering whether the Bokeh might be better/worth it on the Siggy.
I’ve had one before and let it go to fund the 35Z
Didn’t get round to shooting any bikes with it.

I’ve never tried the G Toby. Pretty happy with the Z (actually very happy)
Just wondering whether the Bokeh might be better/worth it on the Siggy.
I’ve had one before and let it go to fund the 35Z
Didn’t get round to shooting any bikes with it.
Have you tried third party using the ftz? If so how’s the AF?

Have you tried third party using the ftz? If so how’s the AF?

Yeah. Had the Sigma 35 art & 85 non art. Both worked very well indeed.
Only used them indoors natural light.
Might’ve been a bit hasty in letting them go, but I wanted to stick with native.

I had the Tamron 17-35 on the FTZ, which focussed quickly and, in hindsight, may have had slightly better IQ than the Z 14-30 which I replaced it with. Big downside for me was the ergonomics. Just felt really bulky and unbalanced.

I’m having a nasty attack of GAS and keep looking at changing my XT-3 for a Z6

Anyone else done this and care to comment ? Also anyone found the Z6 and 24-70 at a great price ?!

Swapped from an X-Pro2. The increase is clarity and detail over the Fuji is noticeable as is focus reliability (in S-AF) and high ISO is really nasty light. What swung it for me was IBIS and the much improved EVF. No remorse! Unfortunately, price-wise, I paid for being a relatively early adoptor

From what I can see, its a very good lens, so is the 85mm f1.8 too :)

I’m hankering after the 85mm z having been using the G version for a few weeks. Love the focal length, going to have to wait a bit on the price front though!

I’m hankering after the 85mm z having been using the G version for a few weeks. Love the focal length, going to have to wait a bit on the price front though!
I like the 85mm focal length too. Also like 50mm... however I I bought into the Nikon Z system I would most likely go for the 24-70mm f2.8 and 85mm f1.8 and avoid duplicate focal lengths. :)

From what I can see, its a very good lens, so is the 85mm f1.8 too :)
I definitely want the 85mm f1.8 S at some point, but it's pricey at the mo, even grey at £619. I'd possibly even like the 35mm f1.8 S at some point, although I do generally prefer the 50mm focal length to the 35mm.

Whilst I’m interested in the upcoming 24mm S (when the price drops) I’d like to see a 28mm S

I definitely want the 85mm f1.8 S at some point, but it's pricey at the mo, even grey at £619. I'd possibly even like the 35mm f1.8 S at some point, although I do generally prefer the 50mm focal length to the 35mm.

Not to bad if its a good performer. The Sony was usually around £600 so for a new release that's pretty good.

Not to bad if its a good performer. The Sony was usually around £600 so for a new release that's pretty good.
It looks a great performer. I agree the price isn't bad in comparison, but £600's still a lot of money (y)

Sell something else if you need to.
Been looking into what I can sell ;) The Olympus Tough that I won (although haven't received yet) is funding the 50mm but I've been scouring around the house to see what else I can sell. Obviously I'd sell the 85mm G, but I still need to find something else.

85mm is my next lens unless the 70-200 out by time I buy one lol

Been looking into what I can sell ;) The Olympus Tough that I won (although haven't received yet) is funding the 50mm but I've been scouring around the house to see what else I can sell. Obviously I'd sell the 85mm G, but I still need to find something else.

I’m going through my bag collection for the same reason

got any other f mount or adapters to flog?

Any sign of Tamron bringing some love to the Z mount? Looking at the trio of primes on the way for Sony has peaked my interest in FFML again. They are precisely the kind of lenses I love. Neat, WR, great close focusing and cheap! [ish] there's a 20, 24 and 35mm - they are 'only' f/2.8 but all 3 have 1:2 magnification. Pair any of these with an 85 1.8 and I'd be good for the most part.

I hear one kidney is enough. I can only guess we came with two for situations like this.

Sell off some Star Wars stuff [emoji1303]

got any other f mount or adapters to flog?
Not that I don’t need. Have the 18-35mm and 70-200mm but they’re keepers until I can afford the z-mount equivalents. Haven’t got any ‘excess’ Olly gear I can sell either. Might have to sell a couple of watches and my Roland TR-09 (have the virtual version now in Logic Pro).

Any sign of Tamron bringing some love to the Z mount? Looking at the trio of primes on the way for Sony has peaked my interest in FFML again. They are precisely the kind of lenses I love. Neat, WR, great close focusing and cheap! [ish] there's a 20, 24 and 35mm - they are 'only' f/2.8 but all 3 have 1:2 magnification. Pair any of these with an 85 1.8 and I'd be good for the most part.
I don’t expect they will bother, the Z is a niche market and they would have to go to the trouble of reverse engineering the af.

I don’t expect they will bother, the Z is a niche market and they would have to go to the trouble of reverse engineering the af.
Why is the Z any more niche than Canon EOS RF or Sony Fe-mount? Sure it’s in its infancy but I wouldn’t say it’s niche.

I asked the Tamron importers, Introphoto, just that question in February and their reply was that Tamron had told them it wasn’t on the road map. Same for Sigma, but now rumours are suggesting otherwise.

Why is the Z any more niche than Canon EOS RF or Sony Fe-mount? Sure it’s in its infancy but I wouldn’t say it’s niche.
Well it has a fraction of the Sony user base and Sony are giving away their af protocols for free.

I queried Nikon yesterday as to whether they had any plans to improve the implementation of eye-AF so that it was available in all modes (being able to toggle it on and off with a function button) and therefore you could select the face with single point AF and then the eye-AF would take over from there. This would help in situations where there’s a small crowd or several faces because as it stands at the moment the Z eye-af will pick up on the nearest face and isn’t guaranteed to recognise other faces in the scene.

Of course their response was that they didn’t have any info about future updates but they alluded they had had similar communications. I wonder if they receive enough requests that they’ll implement these things, or whether they just have their own plans and won’t be swayed by feedback?

Back