Nikon Z* mirrorless

Thanks - does anyone know if is it possible to plug the camera straight into an iMac and put the photos straight into Lightroom ?
Yes you can, but as already mentioned I'm not sure how you'd do firmware updates. I have seen card readers and xqd cards for sale second hand that are much cheaper.

Its a definite minus for the Z6 compared to the A7 - and the shortage of lenses

Although conversely for me Nikon has the more attractive zoom lenses than Sony i.e the 24-70 and 14-30...

Change can be good, certainly not for your pocket but if you have it to spare then why the hell not? I know if I had the money some of you lot have I'd be changing systems every other week probably :D

Being poor makes you disciplined :)

I've liked the look of this system since it came out, watched a tonne of videos on it [inc the one above on adapting] - and I would probably give it a go but for the couple of reasons I stated earlier. The pricey XQD cards and that older MF lenses [and I believe even some or many modern MF offerings, like Samyang] do not benefit from the IBIS - can anyone confirm this for definite?

I use it with old and new lenses, my only gripe is the bump on the bottom of the ftz. It can be a pain sometimes when loading onto a gimbal or tripod or a quick lens change.

I find that performance wise, it’s perfect for my needs.

xqd is pricey in comparison, but it’s faster and more robust than sd cards, and I’ve always hated CF cards since my D2 days.

Last edited:

Although conversely for me Nikon has the more attractive zoom lenses than Sony i.e the 24-70 and 14-30...
The shortage of lenses is the same complaint that we all had about Sony FE mount when that was released, but look where they are now. Nikon's roadmap looks very good indeed imo, I'm pretty excited about the future of Z-mount.

XQD cards are a bit of a pain cost wise, but then I guess it's no different to the high end Canon's that use(d) compact flash that were also pretty pricey last time I looked. I think when CFExpress gains a bit more momentum I can see more manufacturers switching tbh.

Change can be good, certainly not for your pocket but if you have it to spare then why the hell not? I know if I had the money some of you lot have I'd be changing systems every other week probably :D

I've liked the look of this system since it came out, watched a tonne of videos on it [inc the one above on adapting] - and I would probably give it a go but for the couple of reasons I stated earlier. The pricey XQD cards and that older MF lenses [and I believe even some or many modern MF offerings, like Samyang] do not benefit from the IBIS - can anyone confirm this for definite?

Unscientific test. 200mm f4 Nikkor Q converted to ai. Much sharper at 1/13th with IS on.

Sony also has similar options

True but the Nikon options are smaller
the 24-70 f4 isn't really that much smaller and definitely not when "unlocked"

the 14-30mm was really exciting till I used it. It's soft outside the centre at f4 across the range (dxomark confirmed this in their test a week later after I posted here).

the Z 24-70mm f2.8 is awesome, the Z 50/1.8 is amazing for the price (you'll pay nearly twice on Sony), you have access to some smaller teleprimes like 300PF and 500PF both of which work rather well with FTZ.
i would go Z for these, not so much for the two lenses you mentioned.

Last edited:
the 24-70 f4 isn't really that much smaller and definitely not when "unlocked"

the 14-30mm was really exciting till I used it. It's soft outside the centre at f4 across the range (dxomark confirmed this in their test a week later after I posted here).

the Z 24-70mm f2.8 is awesome, the Z 50/1.8 is amazing for the price (you'll pay nearly twice on Sony), you have access to some smaller teleprimes like 300PF and 500PF both of which work rather well with FTZ.
i would go Z for these, not so much for the two lenses you mentioned.
Thanks for that - I wouldn’t shoot a wide angle lens at f4 very often so it wouldn’t bother me too much - does it sharpen up at all ?

Thanks for that - I wouldn’t shoot a wide angle lens at f4 very often so it wouldn’t bother me too much - does it sharpen up at all ?

at f5.6 its fully sharp across the range. Just at f4 its not so good.

I don't buy lenses I cannot use wide open. that's a lie because I bought laowa 10-18mm to use stopped down but generally speaking I like being able to use lenses wide open.

Last edited:

IBIS works fine for me on 17-35 Tamron, 20mm Nikon, 24mm Hoya, 135mm Pentax, 100mm Oly OM, etc etc.

I don't buy lenses I cannot use wide open. that's a lie because I bought laowa 10-18mm to use stopped down but generally speaking I like being able to use lenses wide open.

when would you use a wide angle at f4 ? Only time I would is close up in which case softness on the edges wouldn’t matter - just interested !

when would you use a wide angle at f4 ? Only time I would is close up in which case softness on the edges wouldn’t matter - just interested !

at 14mm (even 30mm tbh) you have plenty of DoF shoot wide open. Useful for shooting handheld especially in evenings and indoors (useful in places where tripods aren't allowed).

15mm f2.8
48340106761_0f2d738bda_b.jpg

24mm f4
48849832082_d8aaa549c3_b.jpg

55mm f2.2
15823891809_323d5c5e89_b.jpg

Last edited:

TBH If it's sharp across the frame by f5.6 that's fine by me (y)
at 14mm (even 30mm tbh) you have plenty of DoF shoot wide open. Useful for shooting handheld especially in evenings and indoors (useful in places where tripods aren't allowed).

15mm f2.8
48340106761_0f2d738bda_b.jpg

24mm f4
48849832082_d8aaa549c3_b.jpg

55mm f2.2
15823891809_323d5c5e89_b.jpg

Really like the first photo (y)

Lab coat been on, the 50mm f1.8 S is way sharper than the G version, at least between my two copies, which is in keeping with the test scores.

Here's the full 'scene' showing the focus point.

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.00
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Then I'll let you decide which is which ;) (might be best to view on Flickr) Interesting to note the slight difference in framing despite the camera being on a tripod. Both shot at f1.8

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.14
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.31
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Lab coat been on, the 50mm f1.8 S is way sharper than the G version, at least between my two copies, which is in keeping with the test scores.

Here's the full 'scene' showing the focus point.

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.00
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Then I'll let you decide which is which ;) (might be best to view on Flickr) Interesting to note the slight difference in framing despite the camera being on a tripod. Both shot at f1.8

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.14
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.31
by TDG-77, on Flickr

The Flickr links are saying the photos are private

As for the cards I'm not sure where you're getting that the XQD 64GB are 15 times that of an equivalent SD. When I've looked the XQD's are roughly the same price as equivalent speed SD cards.

As near as like for like as possible, sure, prices are in the same ball park (ish), but with SD cards there are alternatives that are very affordable and more than quick enough for most users. I use 180mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards at the moment, £20 or often less for 64GB and they easily keep with anything I and the Sony a7III ever throw at it (weddings and motorsport, mainly), when you start needing at least several cards multiples of £20 can be absorbed pretty easily, but £130 a pop is serious money even as a business expense.

It just feels like an odd decision from Nikon, clearly there are going to be people like me who are thinking twice due to the significant additional cost of switching. Dual SD/XQD slots would solve that issue and the much talked about single card slot ‘issue’.

Unscientific test. 200mm f4 Nikkor Q converted to ai. Much sharper at 1/13th with IS on.
IBIS works fine for me on 17-35 Tamron, 20mm Nikon, 24mm Hoya, 135mm Pentax, 100mm Oly OM, etc etc.

Good to know thanks. It was a promo for one of the Samyang MF lenses for Z mount had me thinking, as it stated at the bottom that the IBIS on the Z bodies did not work with that lens.

Good to know thanks. It was a promo for one of the Samyang MF lenses for Z mount had me thinking, as it stated at the bottom that the IBIS on the Z bodies did not work with that lens.
Not tried a Samyang as I don't have any, but I'm at a loss as to why they wouldn't work. Of course, for the IBIS to work at its best you need to specify the focal length in the parameters.

Not tried a Samyang as I don't have any, but I'm at a loss as to why they wouldn't work. Of course, for the IBIS to work at its best you need to specify the focal length in the parameters.

I can't find where I read this now, of course - so I'll have to trust myself that I wasn't imagining it :D Good to know IBIS still works for any lens attached though. I'm guessing it'll be 3-axis not the full 5?

I can't find where I read this now, of course - so I'll have to trust myself that I wasn't imagining it :D Good to know IBIS still works for any lens attached though. I'm guessing it'll be 3-axis not the full 5?
I would imagine so, but all I can say is it works adequately. Of course, I'm talking in the main about lenses mounted on their native-Z adapter, not native-F. There may be a difference if the lens in question is a fully manual (no electrical contacts) lens in F mount going on the FTZ.

I would imagine so, but all I can say is it works adequately. Of course, I'm talking in the main about lenses mounted on their native-Z adapter, not native-F. There may be a difference if the lens in question is a fully manual (no electrical contacts) lens in F mount going on the FTZ.

Note I tried it with old non electrical lens.

Yeah electrical cpu contact shouldn't matter for IBIS, should just be a matter of dialing in the focal length so the sensor knows how much to adjust for. This was the case for Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic bodies I've tried. I did think it would be strange if Nikon prevented the feature for old MF lenses on the Z. I know it would turn many people off who like to adapt vintage lenses. IBIS gives these old lenses a new lease of life.

Talking of IBIS, I wish that Nikon would allow use of this rather than VR when VR lenses are attached.

Talking of IBIS, I wish that Nikon would allow use of this rather than VR when VR lenses are attached.
I thought it used a combination of the two, where available? Might be wrong though, it’s not unknown. :(

I thought it used a combination of the two, where available? Might be wrong though, it’s not unknown. :(
:agree:
I thought the same. best of both worlds as it were.
Maybe it's me who's confused. I know when I contacted Nikon about the VR they advised me that you couldn't 'disable' VR so that it was only active when half pressing and pressing the shutter, and turning VR off disables all IS :(

Maybe it's me who's confused. I know when I contacted Nikon about the VR they advised me that you couldn't 'disable' VR so that it was only active when half pressing and pressing the shutter, and turning VR off disables all IS :(
That is indeed correct as it stands, but isn’t the whole story (he says confidently :oops: :$ ).

Yep in interest of keeping things simple for users it's all or nothing implementation. So if you flick the VR switch off it turns of all stabilization. Otherwise it becomes confusing and you'll have people complaining it's too complicated.
On the other hand why should you care as long as the camera+lens combo does the right thing and gives you the best stabilization possible. It's not like you'll want half-effective stabilization lol. And camera should know better than you as to what combination works best ;)

Yep in interest of keeping things simple for users it's all or nothing implementation. So if you flick the VR switch off it turns of all stabilization. Otherwise it becomes confusing and you'll have people complaining it's too complicated.
On the other hand why should you care as long as the camera+lens combo does the right thing and gives you the best stabilization possible. It's not like you'll want half-effective stabilization lol. And camera should know better than you as to what combination works best ;)
I don't mind having it all working, what I don't want is for VR to be active the entire time the camera is on. Usually VR/IBIS is only active when pressing the shutter, but when using adapted lenses with VR the VR is active the whole time.

I don't mind having it all working, what I don't want is for VR to be active the entire time the camera is on. Usually VR/IBIS is only active when pressing the shutter, but when using adapted lenses with VR the VR is active the whole time.
Makes no odds to me. I only switch the camera on when I’m ready to take a shot, and switch it off straight after.

Makes no odds to me. I only switch the camera on when I’m ready to take a shot, and switch it off straight after.
When shooting wildlife or sports I have the camera on all the time waiting for 'the moment' (y)

Back