Nikon Z* mirrorless

I don't mind having it all working, what I don't want is for VR to be active the entire time the camera is on. Usually VR/IBIS is only active when pressing the shutter, but when using adapted lenses with VR the VR is active the whole time.

On the X-H1 IBIS seems to be constantly active, with no way to shut it off between shots. There is options for the IBIS, continuous/only when shooting and off but it is still active no matter, I can hear it if I put my ear to it.

thinking of getting the z6 with adaptor is it worth getting the 24-70s I have the 24-70 f2.8 thinking of selling my d3 and 70-200 f2.8 vr1 to help fund it

thinking of getting the z6 with adaptor is it worth getting the 24-70s I have the 24-70 f2.8 thinking of selling my d3 and 70-200 f2.8 vr1 to help fund it
It’s a cracker of a lens. Depends if you need a wider aperture.

Lab coat been on, the 50mm f1.8 S is way sharper than the G version, at least between my two copies, which is in keeping with the test scores.

Here's the full 'scene' showing the focus point.

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.00
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Then I'll let you decide which is which ;) (might be best to view on Flickr) Interesting to note the slight difference in framing despite the camera being on a tripod. Both shot at f1.8

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.14
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.31
by TDG-77, on Flickr
Is one of those crops a Z and one a G?

Lab coat been on, the 50mm f1.8 S is way sharper than the G version, at least between my two copies, which is in keeping with the test scores.

Here's the full 'scene' showing the focus point.

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.00
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Then I'll let you decide which is which ;) (might be best to view on Flickr) Interesting to note the slight difference in framing despite the camera being on a tripod. Both shot at f1.8

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.14
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.32.31
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Theres quite a difference between the two Toby. The native mount lens looks extremely sharp.

Simon.

Well, I picked up a Z6 kit with the adaptor and 24-70mm lens yesterday. Looking forward to getting to know it better over the weekend :)

Simon.

Nice one Simon.
What brings you back to full frame after the Canon R ?

Didnt you recently have an EOS R ?
Where did you get it from ?

I did, but haven't had that since earlier this year for a variety of reasons. I got it from my local LCE up in Newcastle. They're a great bunch of guys in there, and I was able to get a really good trade in deal.

Nice one Simon.
What brings you back to full frame after the Canon R ?

I miss the IQ for what I'm mainly shooting these days. The Z6 seems to offer tremendous value for money just now, the native lenses are fairly compact and aren't hugely expensive. In reality, adding the native 14-30, 50 f1.8 and / or 85 f1.8 and I'd be covered for 99.99% of what I shoot. I managed to get LCE to give me a good deal on a used 50mm f1.8G until I have funds for either the native 50mm or 85mm.

Cheers,

Simon.

Yes, sorry wasn't that clear? :(
It’s just that I generally couldn’t tell a difference between them. I’m not saying the G is as good, having owned no less than 3 copies I know you can get a sharper lens such as the Z... maybe it’s my eyes......

Have to say I am tempted by the Z6 - the 50 1.8 and a couple cheap FX lenses for something wider and longer would cover me. I'd have to go through the whole sell my current gear on again thing though and that can be just tiring. I'm happy with the Fuji XH1 but I think I'll always have an urge to return to FF until I get it out my system.

@snerkler did you happen to do any side by side tests with both 50mm stopped down a bit? even F2 - 2.8? The old G can be had for so cheap, if it's even near up to scratch at 2.8 it would do as a stop over for a while. This would allow me get another lens to kick off, if i did decide to go that way. Having to get an xqd and reader is a bit of a turn off though

Last edited:
I did, but haven't had that since earlier this year for a variety of reasons. I got it from my local LCE up in Newcastle. They're a great bunch of guys in there, and I was able to get a really good trade in deal.

I miss the IQ for what I'm mainly shooting these days. The Z6 seems to offer tremendous value for money just now, the native lenses are fairly compact and aren't hugely expensive. In reality, adding the native 14-30, 50 f1.8 and / or 85 f1.8 and I'd be covered for 99.99% of what I shoot. I managed to get LCE to give me a good deal on a used 50mm f1.8G until I have funds for either the native 50mm or 85mm.

Cheers,

Simon.
Yes I’m the same just the daft prices of the cards and reader that have stopped me buying one !

But it's a one-off hit!

Not really, not if you like to have a bunch of cards. I have a bunch of SD cards atm, if I went Z they'd be useless so I may as well just pass them on to whoever bought my current gear. It's a loss to kick off with

It’s just that I generally couldn’t tell a difference between them. I’m not saying the G is as good, having owned no less than 3 copies I know you can get a sharper lens such as the Z... maybe it’s my eyes......
Are you saying you couldn't tell a difference from the sample I posted, or have you had your own? The Z7 obviously highlights flaws more as 1:1 is much 'closer in'.
Have to say I am tempted by the Z6 - the 50 1.8 and a couple cheap FX lenses for something wider and longer would cover me. I'd have to go through the whole sell my current gear on again thing though and that can be just tiring. I'm happy with the Fuji XH1 but I think I'll always have an urge to return to FF until I get it out my system.

@snerkler did you happen to do any side by side tests with both 50mm stopped down a bit? even F2 - 2.8? The old G can be had for so cheap, if it's even near up to scratch at 2.8 it would do as a stop over for a while. This would allow me get another lens to kick off, if i did decide to go that way. Having to get an xqd and reader is a bit of a turn off though
No sorry, my 50mm G is now all packed away ready to go on sale now too. I don't tend to stop down primes tbh.

Are you saying you couldn't tell a difference from the sample I posted, or have you had your own? The Z7 obviously highlights flaws more as 1:1 is much 'closer in'.
No sorry, my 50mm G is now all packed away ready to go on sale now too. I don't tend to stop down primes tbh.

Same here for the most part, when I buy a 1.4 or 1.8 prime, I want to shoot them wide open as much as possible. But ... if the 50G is nice and sharp at F2 I'd be happy enough to use it as an F2 prime. I did have one at one point, it's a few years back though so don't really remember much about using it.

A couple of Alpine ones from October. The light was poor so I needed to something with the two telephoto ones. Not quite sure how tasteful they are.
DSC_2214.jpg

DSC_2217.jpg

DSC_2218.jpg

Oh dear, don't know how that happened but have a Z7 on the way to go with the Z6 :D:D

Same here for the most part, when I buy a 1.4 or 1.8 prime, I want to shoot them wide open as much as possible. But ... if the 50G is nice and sharp at F2 I'd be happy enough to use it as an F2 prime. I did have one at one point, it's a few years back though so don't really remember much about using it.

I got the 50mm f1.2 AIS primarily to shoot at f1.2 which gives diverse bokeh effects to be found nowhere else I've seen. The S 50mm f1.8 is clearly better than other generations overall (although I only had a couple of hours playing with it) and much sharper at f1.8/f2. The older ones have lost the soft veil by f2.8

Last edited:
Not really, not if you like to have a bunch of cards. I have a bunch of SD cards atm, if I went Z they'd be useless so I may as well just pass them on to whoever bought my current gear. It's a loss to kick off with
I really meant the card reader. I do find it comforting to have a second card, just in case. Never ever filled a card though.

I really meant the card reader. I do find it comforting to have a second card, just in case. Never ever filled a card though.
Yeah the readers are a lot cheaper than I thought they might be. If I was to make that move I could throw in my current SD/CF card reader with the SD cards I got as extra incentive to potential buyers.

I'll get a second card at some point. I also have a pile of SD cards, but the reality is that all but two of them haven't been out of the card case I have for nearly 5 years. Over that time I've only ever used two cards and even then only because the camera I was using had dual slots :LOL:

Simon.

Snapped some photos of my son using the 50mm f1.8G I picked cheap yesterday this morning. Looks plenty sharp at f2 on the back of the camera Keith. If this card reader ever arrives today, I'll let you know what they're like when I get them on my PC.

Cheers,

Simon.

I'll get a second card at some point. I also have a pile of SD cards, but the reality is that all but two of them haven't been out of the card case I have for nearly 5 years. Over that time I've only ever used two cards and even then only because the camera I was using had dual slots :LOL:

Simon.

Been thinking that too, I keep 2 cards in my XH1 but only ever take the one out to transfer, the other has been in there since I got the camera and just gets formatted every time I dump images off. It's a comfort I guess to know it's there J.I.C, but in 20 odd years I have only ever had one card fail. And that was a piece of cheap junk no-name SD card I had in an equally crappy compact camera.

Yeah the readers are a lot cheaper than I thought they might be. If I was to make that move I could throw in my current SD/CF card reader with the SD cards I got as extra incentive to potential buyers.
I oh so nearly dumped all my SD cards when I got the Z6. Good job I didn't as I just picked up a Panny LX100 as a pocket camera.

I've found a shop that will do the Z6 + 24-70 for £1690 - anyone found it better than that ?

Yes, sorry wasn't that clear? :(
I was looking on my phone and both crops looked identical. I did fire them up on the big screen and yes apologies there is a slight difference. I suspect a more marked contrast could be had from the mid frame/corners.

I've found a shop that will do the Z6 + 24-70 for £1690 - anyone found it better than that ?
E infinity have the Z6 with 24-70 & FTZ adapter for £1719 If you've no need for the adapter, there doesn't seem to be anything cheaper from any reputable sources I've looked at.

If you don't own any F mount lenses is it worth getting the adaptor ? Just wondering if there are any cheap f mount lenses worth getting for the Z6 ?

If you don't own any F mount lenses is it worth getting the adaptor ? Just wondering if there are any cheap f mount lenses worth getting for the Z6 ?
I'm enamoured with my Nikkor 20mm f1.8 G lens. It sits nicely on the FTZ. If you buy the kit with the adaptor but don't need it, I'm sure there's a ready market for it at the price difference plus a little bit for your trouble. ;)

It does give the convenience of being able to buy used F mount lenses that don't yet exist as native Z mount lenses. Primarily this covers all of the telephoto lenses and a few macro lenses. It's a tad annoying that AF-D lenses become manual focus and Ai-S lenses loose their aperture coupling. Restricts you to AF-I, AF-S and AF-P lenses if you want aperture coupling and autofocus.

All that said, Stephen L's point is valid, you could probably sell it on for more than the difference in price.

I was looking on my phone and both crops looked identical. I did fire them up on the big screen and yes apologies there is a slight difference. I suspect a more marked contrast could be had from the mid frame/corners.
Interesting, the difference is night and day on my screen tbh, even the ones posted on here. Not just contrast but sharpness.

What's everyone else seeing, slight difference or marked difference?

Interesting, the difference is night and day on my screen tbh, even the ones posted on here. Not just contrast but sharpness.

Big difference as expected. Everyones idea of difference is different lol.

There is noticeable difference even on my phone. Z 50/1.8 is the best in terms of price to sharpness ratio IMO.

Back