Nikon Z* mirrorless

And then the Brickon D7000 and Brickkor 17-55mm f2.8 setup .........

12571032305_585099d638_c.jpg

12571018035_2c43c55672_c.jpg

12571014165_0062761292_c.jpg

12571035735_ede161f4b7_c.jpg

12571500844_aecf68e289_c.jpg

12571164383_6f5f1b2dcc_c.jpg

I’m having a nasty attack of GAS and keep looking at changing my XT-3 for a Z6

Anyone else done this and care to comment ? Also anyone found the Z6 and 24-70 at a great price ?!

Thanks again for the offer. Not the most exciting pics, but I love the 3D/depth to these. I'm not sure everyone sees what I see, but it's the kind of depth where I feel like I could reach in and pick the cars up, if that makes any sense? :LOL:

NZ7_1291 by TDG-77, on Flickr
NZ7_1289-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr
NZ7_1857 by TDG-77, on Flickr
I can see the 3D effect here too. I couldn’t in the links you posted earlier but your images definitely have it. Not to the same level as the 58 1.4G but it’s there.

If anyone wants to see 3D check out the 58 1.4 picture thread on Fred Miranda forums.

Anyone else done this and care to comment ? Also anyone found the Z6 and 24-70 at a great price ?!
Not the XT-3, but the XH-1. I would probably have got the XT-3 but for its lack of IBIS. I used to think the output from the Fuji was excellent, which it was, but the Z6 lifts it to a new level. I only shoot landscapes, so I cannot comment on sports, birds in flight, portraits, canaries in coal mines, etc.
I bought mine from Panamoz, but prices fluctuate. They are now finding their way onto the used market, if that’s of interest.

I had the X-T3 briefly. Lovely camera but hated the lack of a decent hand grip like the XH1. Have had the Z6 since it came out and love it. Feels comfortable to use, good ergonomics as well as great output especially at my daughters wedding in low light etc. I have the 24-70 2.8 and have an almost brand new F4 as a result for sale.. As suggested the cheapest for bodies and lenses will be the likes of Panamoz and e-infinity though both sites have been out of stock for quite some time.

Last edited:

Greys of Westminster had some very good deals on the Z6 last time I looked, although I'm not sure if they're UK stockist or Grey? If grey then not so good, but if UK they had the best prices I'd seen.

Not been any pictures from me this work and one be for a another week..

Mrs had a surgery on Tuesday which I knew about so having to look after her at the moment.. But just finding odd times to have a nose on here and comments

Not been any pictures from me this work and one be for a another week..

Mrs had a surgery on Tuesday which I knew about so having to look after her at the moment.. But just finding odd times to have a nose on here and comments
Hope she's OK and makes a quick recovery (y)

Not X-T3 but X-H1. I loved it..wanted better high ISO image quality. Had Nikon Full Frame previously. Got the Z6 last January.
Very happy.

So I've just been playing about with ideas and wondered if I should sell my Z7, 50mm G and 85mm G and buy a Z6 and native 50mm and 85mm instead but MPB offered me a miserly £1500 odd for my Z7 :eek: Think I'll scrap that idea :LOL:

So I've just been playing about with ideas and wondered if I should sell my Z7, 50mm G and 85mm G and buy a Z6 and native 50mm and 85mm instead but MPB offered me a miserly £1500 odd for my Z7 :eek: Think I'll scrap that idea :LOL:
You might get a better deal p/x them with a mainstream retailer such as Grays.

Any particular reason for going from the Z7 to Z6? I assume to allow you to be able to buy some native lenses?

How many shots have you taken on the Z7?

Last edited:
Any particular reason for going from the Z7 to Z6? I assume to allow you to be able to buy some native lenses?

How many shots have you taken on the Z7?
Just flirting with ideas, but yeah to release cash to be able to buy the native glass. I'm not 100% on shutter count as I use electronic a lot, and I'm not sure if the shutter count is mechanical only or both? The way I used to check was using not he Mac, opening a photo and then checking the info. At the bottom it would say image number xxxx which was the shutter count. I'd guess in this case the image number won't reflect the mechanical shutter count.

Just flirting with ideas, but yeah to release cash to be able to buy the native glass. I'm not 100% on shutter count as I use electronic a lot, and I'm not sure if the shutter count is mechanical only or both? The way I used to check was using not he Mac, opening a photo and then checking the info. At the bottom it would say image number xxxx which was the shutter count. I'd guess in this case the image number won't reflect the mechanical shutter count.

I use this for Fuji and it seems reliable, they have it set up to check Z files now too: https://www.apotelyt.com/shutter-count/nikon-z7-actuations Just upload your latest raw or untouched jpeg file

Wow, it's not even a meme anymore, literally the only thing in sharp focus in one of the shots of the woman is her eye lashes :ROFLMAO:

I think I could see this working with a bit more distance to the subject and with the background extending away... something like an environmental portrait in either nature or urban setting with the subject sharp (relatively) and little else.

You might have seen the pictures I posted in the Sony thread of Mrs WW taken with a 40mm f1.2. I think the f0.95 might work well for that sort of thing with most of the subject in the dof and little else.

Gotta day those images are a bit ‘meh’. For £8k I’d have expected to be wowed, hopefully someone else will come along and show the true potential.

The thing is that once I've seen the true potential I'll have to remember that it was achieved by a better photographer than me with a professional model and in a special location with the result being that I could never match it.

I'd rather look at these pictures which at least give me some hope that I could do better :D

Gotta day those images are a bit ‘meh’. For £8k I’d have expected to be wowed, hopefully someone else will come along and show the true potential.

DPR sample galleries are rarely very impressive in general, so I look at samples like this and as you guys point out, I'll consider the potential for my style of shooting.

I think I could see this working with a bit more distance to the subject and with the background extending away... something like an environmental portrait in either nature or urban setting with the subject sharp (relatively) and little else.

You might have seen the pictures I posted in the Sony thread of Mrs WW taken with a 40mm f1.2. I think the f0.95 might work well for that sort of thing with most of the subject in the dof and little else.

Yeah I do see that these images are trying to push the extreme as in examples of how shallow a DOF can be achieved. I can see it being really nice for full body portraiture as you say, from a distance where more will be in sharp focus.

But yeh ... 8k?? even those with more money than sense must be feeling a bit meh about this one

The portrait at a greater distance picture is the only thing I can think of at the moment, unless someone can think of something else? Very very low light?

It's worth remembering that at 85mm f1.2 has a bigger hole in it (58/f0.95=61.5mm v 85mm f1.2=70.83mm) and an 85mm f1.4 has an only marginally smaller one (60.7mm) or if you want a hole you can just about fall through a 135mm f1.4 will give you 96.4mm but what this all means for the overall look I'm not sure :D

The portrait at a greater distance picture is the only thing I can think of at the moment, unless someone can think of something else? Very very low light?

It's worth remembering that at 85mm f1.2 has a bigger hole in it (58/f0.95=61.5mm v 85mm f1.2=70.83mm) and an 85mm f1.4 has an only marginally smaller one (60.7mm) or if you want a hole you can just about fall through a 135mm f1.4 will give you 96.4mm but what this all means for the overall look I'm not sure :D

I wonder about this too, a longer FL lens with 1.4 or even 1.8 max aperture might actually offer shallower DOF at similar FOV distances. Someone more technical minded than I would have to confirm this though

Well, the theory is that for the same framing and aperture the dof is the same, I think, but the perspective will change and that will affect how it all looks and even if the dof is theoretically the same the longer shot could look to be thinner, maybe.

My 40mm f1.2 is 33.33mm and 50mm f1.4 would be 35.7mm so I might give it a go and compare them to an 85mm at f1.8 giving 47.2mm and the 85mm at 2.8 for 30.4mm which might be as close as I can get it but some of the look will be down to aberrations and such like so I'd expect differences especially at f0.95 which I can't do, the widest I can do is f1.2. The biggest I can do is 135mm at f2.8 giving 48.2mm. Thinking about it hurts my brain so it might be easier to just do it.

Maybe someone has already done all this. If I do it I'll post a thread on it.

Last edited:
I use this for Fuji and it seems reliable, they have it set up to check Z files now too: https://www.apotelyt.com/shutter-count/nikon-z7-actuations Just upload your latest raw or untouched jpeg file
I'm not sure that site works properly tbh, it says it only counts mechanical shutter but it's saying the same count as the total image count, unless Mac info only shows mechanical shutter count. I'll take some with the electronic shutter over the weekend and see if it adds to the count.

I'm not sure that site works properly tbh, it says it only counts mechanical shutter but it's saying the same count as the total image count, unless Mac info only shows mechanical shutter count. I'll take some with the electronic shutter over the weekend and see if it adds to the count.
Just checked and that site doesn't differentiate between electronic/silent shutter and mechanical shutter, the count still goes up when using the electronic shutter. I'm not sure if there's any way to differentiate between the two?

The official Nikon samples were very good. DPR have never been able to tak a good photo but to be fair their samples are there to demonstrate sharpness and dof both at a range of apertures.

Available in stock at amazon right now.
Yep, and according to camerapricebuster that's the cheapest price at the mo, assuming you have prime? Looking at that site £329 inc postage is the cheapest it's been so I must've been wrong :facepalm:

Yep, and according to camerapricebuster that's the cheapest price at the mo, assuming you have prime? Looking at that site £329 inc postage is the cheapest it's been so I must've been wrong :facepalm:

I have prime but not a z6 or z7.
OK I definitely don't need another camera. Walk away..

I got for £295 from Grays - not sure if still is, but info on it was posted on this thread earlier.
Wow that's good, currently £315 plus postage at the mo, and that's including the current Nikon offer.

Just checked and that site doesn't differentiate between electronic/silent shutter and mechanical shutter, the count still goes up when using the electronic shutter. I'm not sure if there's any way to differentiate between the two?

I don't think you can separate them. I never use ES so it'll be close enough for me but if you do use it a lot then it's a bit useless I guess. Unless you want the true overall count

Back