Nikon Z* mirrorless

I tried the code a day or two after it was posted and it didn’t work. It was a few pages back on the thread.

Code was valid for just a few/7? days, think it was Grays first week of having online shop

Edit.... and just to make it worse there was free shipping as well. You are welcome:rolleyes::)

Last edited:
I took some quick comparison shots between the 2 50s. Do people want RAW files or what's the best way?

I took some quick comparison shots between the 2 50s. Do people want RAW files or what's the best way?
Raws would be good if you don’t mind and have Dropbox or similar?

Ok, here's the link to the RAW files: http://www.bobr.si/files/50mm.zip
I'll post some crops later on
Thanks very much for this. Nothing immediately obvious in terms of overall rendering, which is good. If anything I would say the bokeh in the portrait shots is better with the z-line over the G. To say how much sharper the Z is supposed to be it's not as blatantly obvious as I was expecting tbh. It's sharper, I was kinda expecting it to be night and day though.Z-line has less CA too (y)

One question, any reason why the WB varies so much between shots?

Last edited:
Theres a £25 off code for Grays, can't remember what it is but they have a video on youtube with the code.

Went in there today and part-ex'd my 24-70/4 and 105/1.4 and got the 24-70/2.8s. Its smaller than I thought it would be, but looking forward to using that :)

Edit, found it, its youtube19 for £20 off and free shipping

Last edited:
So, here are a couple center crop sharpness comparisons....exif on the photos. One of the things I noticed is that the Z lens has consistently lower ISO.

ajka_compare_crop.png

full_ajka_crop.png

full_face_crop.png

face_crop.png

Theres a £25 off code for Grays, can't remember what it is but they have a video on youtube with the code.

Went in there today and part-ex'd my 24-70/4 and 105/1.4 and got the 24-70/2.8s. Its smaller than I thought it would be, but looking forward to using that :)

Edit, found it, its youtube19 for £20 off and free shipping
Thanks very much for this, code worked and have ordered the 50mm S (y)

So, here are a couple center crop sharpness comparisons....exif on the photos. One of the things I noticed is that the Z lens has consistently lower ISO.

ajka_compare_crop.png

full_ajka_crop.png

full_face_crop.png

face_crop.png
The last crop look much more different to how it is on my system, have you processed these? Interesting about the ISO, I hadn't noticed that. That's the second time I've heard that the adapted lenses use a higher ISO.

No, nothing is processed, just loaded into Lightroom (though it does default sharpening, contrast,...but the same for both images), went into compare view and took a screenshot of it...

As for the ISO....I think it's more of a situation of the G lens having worse T-stop transmission than the Z variant.

No, nothing is processed, just loaded into Lightroom (though it does default sharpening, contrast,...but the same for both images), went into compare view and took a screenshot of it...

As for the ISO....I think it's more of a situation of the G lens having worse T-stop transmission than the Z variant.
yeah, good observation, was thinking the same, either worse T stop or the adapter is limiting light due to design.

Good thinking. Beautiful dog btw, what breed is that?

The S is certainly sharper, but the ol' G doesn't hold up too badly
Yeah I thought from the scores there’d be more of a difference. The lower iso and weather sealing, as well as the better sharpness, rendering and lack of CA makes it a worthwhile upgrade imo, especially for £295 (y)

Yeah I thought from the scores there’d be more of a difference. The lower iso and weather sealing, as well as the better sharpness, rendering and lack of CA makes it a worthwhile upgrade imo, especially for £295 (y)

Yeah for that money it's a no brainer. I paid more for a used [though like new] Fuji 50mm F2. It is probably the first lens I'd buy if I got a Z

Good thinking. Beautiful dog btw, what breed is that?

Heh, I call her the "village special" :) She's a mixed breed (german shepherd, golden retriever and bernese mountain dog)....40kg of energy, though she doesn't show it on that pic.

Dooo ittt, lens looks great, better than the cz55 for character imo. Now where are the 1.4s.

Last edited:
Dooo ittt, lens looks great, better than the cz55 for character imo. Now where are the 1.4s.
Did you not get from that that I’ve already pulled the trigger? ;)

Can’t blame children’s. Mine not stopped me getting what I want

They let you think that maybe :D Why don't you have the latest gear from all manufacturers then? Seems like that's what you want :p

new mountain bike being order next week

I could do with a new MB actually, the one I got has grips peeling off and there's a squeak somewhere in the crank that wd40 aint sorting. Must ask the kids can I buy a new one :LOL:

I could do with a new MB actually, the one I got has grips peeling off and there's a squeak somewhere in the crank that wd40 aint sorting. Must ask the kids can I buy a new one :LOL:

Sod the kids just buy

Back