Nikon Z* mirrorless

Why is tracking suddenly so important?

so that I may get a chance to get some of the shots that I have missed in the past - I've taken quite a lot of bird images over the years using the D300/D700, the D7000's and the D800's plus even the V1 - you need all the help that you can when using (Nikon) long lenses - try using a 600mm f4 and even the 300mm f/2.8 with TC's - OK my 300PF and 500PF are much easier to use.

Maybe I don't have your skill in shooting BIF's?

TP_ibis.jpg

Last edited:
Shameless plug but my Z5 and 24-200 Z are for sale in the classifieds if anyone interested before they go to MPB

took my z6 out yesterday with 200mm f2 attached covering a football match. combo did well but I haven't had a chance to view the photos on screen yet. can anyone recommend a reasonable xcd card reader for transferring photos to iMac? tia

Had a quick wander round the Photo Show in Birmingham today.

Two thoughts -

The Zfc is a little beauty, especially with the 28mm lens on it. Think I’m definitely going to have a closer look at one for everyday things.

The Z70-200 f2.8 is a seriously big bit of kit! I really hope they come out with an f4 option soon.

took my z6 out yesterday with 200mm f2 attached covering a football match. combo did well but I haven't had a chance to view the photos on screen yet. can anyone recommend a reasonable xcd card reader for transferring photos to iMac? tia
I use this with my Mac, no issues.

【Upgraded Version】 Cateck USB 3.0 XQD Card Reader, support Sony G/M Series USB Mark XQD Card, Lexar 2933x/1400x USB Mark XQD Card,SD Card.Compatible with Windows/Mac OS System https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W1WN...abc_7K8AVJ6C7B1NBJ88BYGY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cracking image Justin love the toning

@wilt I am still waiting for stock to appear somewhere for the 105, definitely turned into a 500 PF supply/demand issue (like most things at present I guess)

@wilt I am still waiting for stock to appear somewhere for the 105, definitely turned into a 500 PF supply/demand issue (like most things at present I guess)
I managed to bag one from Grays of Westminster, arrived within a few weeks of release. Had £15 off voucher on their Youtube channel at the time ;)
I'm so happy with it, certainly a major step up from the old 105mm macro and light compared to it. The focus limiter is finally the right way round, limiting it to macro range rather than non macro range like the old one.

I have just got a new Z7II and my Z7 has gone to my daughter, but I think my Z7II might be faulty.
It will not switch off Auto ISO. In manual mode I can switch Auto ISO on and off and the display tells me it is off but it keeps changing the ISO????
Is there some setting that I'm missing???

I have just got a new Z7II and my Z7 has gone to my daughter, but I think my Z7II might be faulty.
It will not switch off Auto ISO. In manual mode I can switch Auto ISO on and off and the display tells me it is off but it keeps changing the ISO????
Update. I've spoken with Nikon and I indeed have a faulty unit. I can recreate the problem just by tapping the side of the camera or extending the lens. The ISO goes yellow and jumps to a random setting.

Update. I've spoken with Nikon and I indeed have a faulty unit. I can recreate the problem just by tapping the side of the camera or extending the lens. The ISO goes yellow and jumps to a random setting.
Ok this has got even weirder. I found that when I wiggle the lens in the bayonet fitting while it is locked in then the ISO jumps when in manual ISO, but only with my 24-70 lens, all other lens are ok but the 24-70 lens works fine on a Z7 and a Z fc so maybe it's not the lens? Then I found that if I do a "Reset All Settings" the problem goes away until I re-load my old settings then it comes back....I know very strange.....
Now I have reset all settings and put all my settings back manually (as much as I can remember them) and the problem has not come back. So I'm happy at the moment it seem I may have cured it.
I've sent a video of the fault occurring and my settings file to Nikon, they are going to try to re-create the fault.

Ok this has got even weirder. I found that when I wiggle the lens in the bayonet fitting while it is locked in then the ISO jumps when in manual ISO, but only with my 24-70 lens, all other lens are ok but the 24-70 lens works fine on a Z7 and a Z fc so maybe it's not the lens? Then I found that if I do a "Reset All Settings" the problem goes away until I re-load my old settings then it comes back....I know very strange.....
Now I have reset all settings and put all my settings back manually (as much as I can remember them) and the problem has not come back. So I'm happy at the moment it seem I may have cured it.
I've sent a video of the fault occurring and my settings file to Nikon, they are going to try to re-create the fault.
Good to hear you have solved your problem, but that’s a strange one. If the body is within warranty, can you not send back for a replacement.

Last edited:
Yes me to managed to order the 500 pf today from wex arriving Monday still looking for the 105 and 1:4 111 out of stock everywhere

OMG just look at that lens distortion on the lamp post ;)
lol sadly the lamp post has been hit by a vehicle I almost titled it “THE LEANING LAMP POST“ lol

Last edited:
It's a great combo that has killed my GAS stone-dead. Covers pretty much all I need in one lens. (I do have the 14-30 as an uwa though.)
Think I need to get a 14-30 before my 2 weeks in Scotland next spring (have the 24-200 and 500PF) just need UWA to complete the kit

The Zfc is a little beauty, especially with the 28mm lens on it. Think I’m definitely going to have a closer look at one for everyday things.

The Z70-200 f2.8 is a seriously big bit of kit! I really hope they come out with an f4 option soon.
I looked at both the Zfc and Z50 at the show, as a replacement for my V1 as a holiday camera, went home and did a bit of reading, in the end went for the Z50, as I got a cracking deal from Great Western cameras in Swindon, I'll be sorry to see the V1 go, as it really gives nice images, but now both of my cameras take the same lenses.

If Nikon release a 70-300 f4, I'll be buying one for sure, I'm hoping a 10-24 DX Z mount will be a future release.

Managed to find stock of a MB-N11 grip, looking forward to trying it out this week, with the 500 the N10 made it more comfortable so the N11 with controls when in portrait should really help

I don`t post much on here now, 2 from the w/e, both LE with the 1st shot at 512 seconds and the 2nd shot at 591 seconds.
Southeast of France.
Z6 Sigma 24-105 with a 10 stop and a 0.9 8x stop
A lovely bit of coast line around here.
DSC_2633.jpgDSC_2634.jpg

Back