Nikon Z* mirrorless

The 100-400mm is a similar weight and price to the Sony 100-400mm GM so I think they've probably priced it against that. The Sony GM is an exceptional lens though so if NIkon can match or better that it will be a belter (y)
I agree -- that's the most reasonable assumption. Perhaps one day they will be available second hand and more within a stretched budget It's at least twice as much as I've ever paid for a lens at launch.

The 100-400mm is a similar weight and price to the Sony 100-400mm GM so I think they've probably priced it against that. The Sony GM is an exceptional lens though so if NIkon can match or better that it will be a belter (y)
The initial videos I’ve watch tonight it looks really good

DP Review:

“Employs an optical vibration reduction function with an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 5.5 stops faster, which is the highest among NIKKOR Z lenses”
Trevor, I’m reading that applying to the 100-400.
What do you think?

The Z9 looks fantastic.

If only I had an extra child (or house!) I could sell.

Well pre order is in and decision made. Sticking with Nikon and most of my glass, a few DSLR’s to move on…….

Ah. Sorry, my mistake. The 24-120 does not have any lens stabilisation..... That is a shame.
Do not need it really as in body stabilisation even on z7’s etc ? I know it is nice on the new 100-400 will Sync with body to have extra VR stops but not sure its needed on 24-120 as the in body VR will do a good enough job

the 24-120 is a surprise even to the rumour guys. Looks like it is classed as a kit lens which means it may well come cheap with the Z6/7 mark iii. It might not be an easy decision as to whether the extra size and weight as well as possibly slight IQ reduction compared to the 24-70 will be worth it. Depends largely on whether I will do a lot of single lens walking around -- mostly I use a bag where there is normally a telephoto anyway.
If you shoot stopped down and the 24-120 has good centre to edge sharpness through out its focal range I'd say yes, go for it and the 100-400. That's two lenses with no much FL overlap which will give you an extraordinary difference in field of view.

In the F mount the F2.8 zooms are worth it for the IQ - even if you only shoot stopped down due to their superior centre to edge sharpness.

It could well be very different on Z mount.

Z9 has one feature I like the look of - automatic shutter closure during lens changes and power down - this will stop a lot of dust bunnies.

I've just not long got a D850 and over the moon with it - but I hoped being a resolution junkie that a camera costing 2 fold plus more would have more MP than one I just purchase which was released back in 2017. Sony give you 50mp in the A1 and 61mp in the A7RIV.

I do acknowledge if you shoot wildlife or sports this will kill a D850 but if you just do landscapes, architecture what would this offer? Other than the new Z lenses?

If you shoot stopped down and the 24-120 has good centre to edge sharpness through out its focal range I'd say yes, go for it and the 100-400. That's two lenses with no much FL overlap which will give you an extraordinary difference in field of view.

In the F mount the F2.8 zooms are worth it for the IQ - even if you only shoot stopped down due to their superior centre to edge sharpness.

It could well be very different on Z mount.

Z9 has one feature I like the look of - automatic shutter closure during lens changes and power down - this will stop a lot of dust bunnies.

I've just not long got a D850 and over the moon with it - but I hoped being a resolution junkie that a camera costing 2 fold plus more would have more MP than one I just purchase which was released back in 2017. Sony give you 50mp in the A1 and 61mp in the A7RIV.

I do acknowledge if you shoot wildlife or sports this will kill a D850 but if you just do landscapes, architecture what would this offer? Other than the new Z lenses?
If you are a landscape shooter then the Z7 / Z7II is the way to go for mirrorless and a lot less than Z9 (I have Z7 II but also D500 for fast moving wildlife but the Z9 would easily replace both but at a cost)

If you are a landscape shooter then the Z7 / Z7II is the way to go for mirrorless and a lot less than Z9 (I have Z7 II but also D500 for fast moving wildlife but the Z9 would easily replace both but at a cost)
Totally agree, I have the Z6 and it’s fine for the woodland/landscape stuff I do. I’m thinking if Z7 prices start to soften I may grab one simply for the increased resolution. Z6 as it is, is a bargain used. Z7 may prove a great used buy.

yes, this is perhaps the single most important feature that I hope will trickle down to the enthusiast level models as well.

If you shoot stopped down and the 24-120 has good centre to edge sharpness through out its focal range I'd say yes, go for it and the 100-400
that's indeed a reasonable conclusion but the weight increase is a consideration (compared to 24-70 +70-300 which obviously isn't a fair comparison but even so) to say nothing of the cost rule it out for the shorter term at least. I'd love to see the rendering of the 100-400. I find the 70-300 AF-P, though generally sharp, a bit brash compared to an older generation like the 80-200 AF-S ones which have a wonderfully organic feel to them. Of the native Z lenses, I certainly like the 85mm f1.8 the best so far.

I'm on a Z5, and find the cost of some of this stuff insane. I'm not convinced my skill level needs full-frame. Nevertheless, I've joined up now, so onwards and upwards.

I cannot stomach the cost of a 100-400. I've seen a 70-200 f2.8 at half that price, and reckon it will be my next lens.

I’m trying to find an answer to whether the Z9 will take raw images at a lower speed than the 20 stated. I would like an option to be around 5-10 if needed and not always at the 20 stated but can’t see anything as it’s marketed on its speed...
Would be very strange if it’s didnt. Every camera I’ve ever used had a range of frame rates you could choose via the drive mode .the Sony A9 I use was marketed as a speed camera. In electronic shutter it can take photos at 20FPS in high but has low (5fps) and medium (10fps) speed options too. I mainly use medium as I don’t need 20FPS most of the time.

I'm on a Z5, and find the cost of some of this stuff insane. I'm not convinced my skill level needs full-frame. Nevertheless, I've joined up now, so onwards and upwards.

I cannot stomach the cost of a 100-400. I've seen a 70-200 f2.8 at half that price, and reckon it will be my next lens.
Prices of mirrorless lenses/cameras are crazy compared to older cameras/lenses. I think part of it is interchangeable lens cameras are bit of a niche market nowadays hence we’re paying a higher price per unit as sales volumes won’t be as high in the current market. Manufacturers will price to what the markets willing to pay.

the Nikon Z5 seems to be the last sensibly priced full frame mirrorless. The Sony a7iii had that mantle for a few years until the new model was released at nearly double the price. you’ve done well to find a 70-200 f2.8 Z lens at around £1350 as they are still £2249 new uk. Prices will drop after the first year as it’s the cost of being an early adopter.

Last edited:
I’m trying to find an answer to whether the Z9 will take raw images at a lower speed than the 20 stated. I would like an option to be around 5-10 if needed and not always at the 20 stated but can’t see anything as it’s marketed on its speed...
The video here makes it look as if you can set any FPS you choose it's about 3:37 in, but the whole video is worth watching.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoVu1OMDvOE

Official site shows this so I would also say yes it does

• Release mode
    • S (single frame), CL (continuous low-speed), CH (continuous high-speed), High-speed frame capture, Self-timer
    • Frame advance rate
    • Up to 120 fps, Continuous low-speed: Approx. 1 to 10 fps, Continuous high-speed: Approx. 10 to 20 fps, High-speed frame capture (C30): Approx. 30 fps, High-speed frame capture (C120): Approx. 120 fps

Well I think in a few months I'll pull the trigger on the z9 let all the hype settle down and a few firmware upgrades happen. Then hopefully panamoz will have stock.
@Graham what's the af speed like compared to the z6

Plus there will be hopefully some more honest reviews and it will determine the pitfuls if any for my wildlife photography.

I did look at the new ftz too and basically from what I can gather it's just a cosmetic change

Plus there will be hopefully some more honest reviews and it will determine the pitfuls if any for my wildlife photography.

I did look at the new ftz too and basically from what I can gather it's just a cosmetic change

It is just a cosmetic change in a way. It's purely a change to remove the 'lump' with the tripod collar mount as it makes it near impossible to use the vertical grip

Well I think in a few months I'll pull the trigger on the z9 let all the hype settle down and a few firmware upgrades happen. Then hopefully panamoz will have stock.
@Graham what's the af speed like compared to the z6
No idea, I've not been out with it yet :oops: :$

Well damn, this turned out to be an expensive year...

I have avoided the latest Nikons for quite a while (2016) and now they introduce the Z9... and it has pretty much everything I was waiting for... Z9 ordered. And I suppose I'll probably also have to upgrade to native Z-lenses eventually... I'm kind of afraid of what the new 400/2.8 might turn out to be.

Plus my MBP is a 2012 model and hasn't been able to run the current versions of PS correctly for about a year; but I've been holding off for the 2021 replacement... new 16" M1max ordered. Luckily I can write it all off against my taxes (US).

Last edited:
Well I’ve had a slightly less expensive weekend than some on here, and got around to ordering the 40mm f/2. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

If the Z9 is the 2021 equivalent of the "D3" moment from 2007, let's hope they follow it up with the "D700" moment and put most of the Z9 imaging pipeline into a Z7 type body and call it a Z8. Think I'd be one of the first in the queue for one of them.

Most of the 'Z8' rumours (informed or otherwise) suggest something in the D8x0 niche with a high resolution sensor (which would be 61MP these days). That probably won't come cheap.

If the Z9 is the 2021 equivalent of the "D3" moment from 2007, let's hope they follow it up with the "D700" moment and put most of the Z9 imaging pipeline into a Z7 type body and call it a Z8. Think I'd be one of the first in the queue for one of them.
and hopefully the same size and weight as a Z7.

Some autumn colours for a change :)
So excited about the Z9...will have to wait for something more sensibly priced, since it's out of my budget still. Would so love to have the 120 FPS option though to catch a jump with it.

Prancing by luftwalk, on Flickr

Woodsy fun by luftwalk, on Flickr

Yes, it will. you have continuous high and continuous low. You can select how many fps each mode dived you.

Some autumn colours for a change :)
So excited about the Z9...will have to wait for something more sensibly priced, since it's out of my budget still. Would so love to have the 120 FPS option though to catch a jump with it.

Prancing by luftwalk, on Flickr

Woodsy fun by luftwalk, on Flickr

Beautiful shots; continuously amazed at the clarity and sharpness you get with your dog running toward you.

Gotta say. Z9 really gets my juices flowing. And I’m perfectly aware if I owned one I’d use less than 10% of its capabilities...and it needs to be smaller.

Gotta say. Z9 really gets my juices flowing. And I’m perfectly aware if I owned one I’d use less than 10% of its capabilities...and it needs to be smaller.
I really want one, can't afford one and the weight would have me wrecked. But I'd certainly use it for practically all photographic genres. The waiting list is going to be crazy long imo.

Back