Nikon Z* mirrorless

I really want one, can't afford one and the weight would have me wrecked. But I'd certainly use it for practically all photographic genres. The waiting list is going to be crazy long imo.

The wait might be long enough to save up.

I really want one, can't afford one and the weight would have me wrecked. But I'd certainly use it for practically all photographic genres. The waiting list is going to be crazy long imo.

I’d like one, I won’t buy one, but I’m really impressed with what Nikon has put together. I’ve. Always shot Nikon and I’m pretty sure I always will.

I’d like one, I won’t buy one, but I’m really impressed with what Nikon has put together. I’ve. Always shot Nikon and I’m pretty sure I always will.
I moved away from Nikon (Z6) to Sony for the AF particularly the eye AF. Still happy with my decision. I’d come back to Nikon if I could make it work financially.

Beautiful shots; continuously amazed at the clarity and sharpness you get with your dog running toward you.

Thank you! Not all of them come out like that ;) but I have to say I've gotten quite good at using my Z6 for it.
It also helps to have a very energetic dog that loves running...there's always a shot waiting to happen with her

I moved away from Nikon (Z6) to Sony for the AF particularly the eye AF. Still happy with my decision. I’d come back to Nikon if I could make it work financially.
i may still do this depending on the waiting list for he z9

Has anyone upgraded from the Z6 to the Z6ii.? I shoot mainly street, landscapes portraits and night street/ light trails I don't need video and won't be shooting fast moving subjects so the low light performance is the main one for me. Currently shooting a Sony a7iii which I've just sold as I never really got on with the ergonomics of it.

If you've the money for a Z9, you've money to employ an assistant. They can do all the heavy lifting. Simples.

How is the pre order system working. I wanted to put a pre order in for a few places to maximise my chance of an early camera but didn’t want to tie up £5300 in each place I pre order. Do they contact you to see if you require the camera when it’s in stock?

From my experience with Wex(then calumet) they put you on the list and when the one designated for you arrives in store/stock they phone and take payment. That was how it worked for the D850 on release, it may have changed since then.

I keep coming back to shoot this Island.
Here is a 480 sec LE, Just to make sure there were no ripples in the water :rolleyes:

Golden sunrise by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

I keep coming back to shoot this Island.
Here is a 480 sec LE, Just to make sure there were no ripples in the water :rolleyes:

Golden sunrise by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Cool but looks too manipulated for me, Graham. The horizon kills it for me. If it was just the first little island with nothing more in the background it might work, tho.

Cool but looks too manipulated for me, Graham. The horizon kills it for me. If it was just the first little island with nothing more in the background it might work, tho.
Ok thanks, it was kinda bright here this morning but wasn`t that much PP`d
If you look on my Flickr there is a pre sunrise shot, let me know what you think of that one.

Ok thanks, it was kinda bright here this morning but wasn`t that much PP`d
If you look on my Flickr there is a pre sunrise shot, let me know what you think of that one.

Hi Graham. I know you didn't manipulate it in PP but it just looks like it, especially because of that horizon. Will have a look.

How is the pre order system working. I wanted to put a pre order in for a few places to maximise my chance of an early camera but didn’t want to tie up £5300 in each place I pre order. Do they contact you to see if you require the camera when it’s in stock?

I think if you haven't preordered now you will be quite far down the list at big retailers? When the D850 launched I reserved mine at a smaller independent shop and got it quite quickly, so have done the same with the z9

Gonna pre-order the Z9 but not until I see stuff that assures me that the FTZII adapter doesn't lose any image quailty or AF performance as I only have FX DSLR lenses.

Anyone seen any info on this?

Gonna pre-order the Z9 but not until I see stuff that assures me that the FTZII adapter doesn't lose any image quailty or AF performance as I only have FX DSLR lenses.

Anyone seen any info on this?
I've used plenty on the first ftz and you wouldn't know you're adapting lenses. They work exactly the same, image quality isn't effected as there's no glass in the ftz, it's just a tube with electrical contacts.
I certainly wouldn't be holding off buying one due to the ftz.

I've used plenty on the first ftz and you wouldn't know you're adapting lenses. They work exactly the same, image quality isn't effected as there's no glass in the ftz, it's just a tube with electrical contacts.
I certainly wouldn't be holding off buying one due to the ftz.

Fab thanks :)

Im not bothered about the first batch but it would be nice to get one in early to mid Feb as i have a big trip to Canada planned and could use the tracking system on it.
I’d love one for March/April when I have 2 weeks in Scotland, 120fps for the Mull Eagle trip would be a little special !

I’d love one for March/April when I have 2 weeks in Scotland, 120fps for the Mull Eagle trip would be a little special !
Going on the rumour mill sites they say could be a long time if the preorders are what they say they are? One site says 3.5k camera production a month and a 40k preorder, how they know who knows. But if that true would take 11 months just to clear the preorder queue

I am 2nd in queue preorder of first batch at my local camera shop ( they said they are allocated 20 on first batch and have already taken preorders on 2nd batch they will get) so any news will update here

Thank you and to be fair I’m not expecting one by then, it’s Nikon 500PF all over again for sure and some….

Well the Z9 is pre-ordered, the Z7ii is on its way and the 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8’s purchased. I liked so many good points of my Z6 but hankered for a D5/D850 cross in the mirrorless format and timing wise the Z9 couldn’t have appeared at a more perfect time. I really do think for my photography it will be perfect and along with the Z7ii it’ll give me all I want. Look forward to sharing some images on here when I’m kitted out.

Has anyone upgraded from the Z6 to the Z6ii.? I shoot mainly street, landscapes portraits and night street/ light trails I don't need video and won't be shooting fast moving subjects so the low light performance is the main one for me. Currently shooting a Sony a7iii which I've just sold as I never really got on with the ergonomics of it.
the sensor in the ii hasn't changed so no difference in low light performance. For me the differences between the original and ii are far too small to consider upgrading. If mk iii gets a few Z9 goodies then that could be a whole new ballgame!

Put my name down in 2 shops but hate doing it as it just clogs up the system and may stop others adding their names. Im hoping before feb but now think its very unlikely so will keep hold of the D5 and D850 just now--one will go when the Z9 comes but i don't know which yet. If anyone knows of a shop that will get a few but doesn't have a long wait list then let me know and i will call them..send me a message on here..lol

One of the smaller shops i contacted has a list of 90 pre orders, looks like this is hopeless and going to be around a year or so...
I think the initial rush will be bonkers but some preorders will be like yourself and worse like 4-5 preorders for one person, this will die down and also have quite a few will change their minds when the full value is asked for to firm up their orders, still be a problem for sure in early days especially when you see China have 2 days on 2 days off in some areas which will have a massive effect on everything for the next year I’m sure.

I think the initial rush will be bonkers but some preorders will be like yourself and worse like 4-5 preorders for one person, this will die down and also have quite a few will change their minds when the full value is asked for to firm up their orders, still be a problem for sure in early days especially when you see China have 2 days on 2 days off in some areas which will have a massive effect on everything for the next year I’m sure.
I have registered to get one with Nikon themselves but i think my best chance is if someone gets offered a 2nd camera when they already have one and either put it up for sale or offer the chance to me to buy.

Gorgeous dog....

I have registered to get one with Nikon themselves but i think my best chance is if someone gets offered a 2nd camera when they already have one and either put it up for sale or offer the chance to me to buy.
It was not a dig at all Mark just giving you some hope that it might not be quite as long as you are fearing.

Ok the Z9 is pre-ordered!

It was similar when the D850 came out. I had it on pre-order and after a month was told it would be at least another 3-4 months. I went grey import and had one within a week! No issues with the camera and a UK based warranty.

We'll see how things develop!

It was not a dig at all Mark just giving you some hope that it might not be quite as long as you are fearing.
All good mate, i took it the way you say. Just adding that im also trying Nikon themselves but that also is unlikely before the start of Feb fir my trip to see Snowy Owls in Canada. Would help with the tracking quite a bit i think.

All good mate, i took it the way you say. Just adding that im also trying Nikon themselves but that also is unlikely before the start of Feb fir my trip to see Snowy Owls in Canada. Would help with the tracking quite a bit i think.
I am thinking if any arrive at rental companies I might just rent one for my 2 weeks in Scotland (last week of March/First week of April) but I still have my D500 that served me very well before and the Z7II so will still be ok

Back