Nikon Z* mirrorless

Personally I’m less excited about this lens in particular, and more so about what it could represent - if Nikon can suddenly massively expand the lens lineup by re-housing certain tamron designs then there could be some interesting stuff in the pipeline at reasonable prices, for those of us that don’t need the top-of-the-range S stuff!
likewise it could mark the start of the more established third party manufacturers releasing lenses for the Z mount

Adam i have just had the tracking number sent to me from Panamoz. It will track better than my D5 and D850 for sure which will be a help. Anything else i can work around to suit my style of photography. The memory cards are an issue to some but mainly for those doing video which i seldom do and im likely to set it to 15fps most if the time allowing any decent cf express card to keep up. It will be a learning curve for sure to try and get the best from it but tgat likely wont happen until a swap all my lenses over to the newer z. Mount lenses when Nikon get them all released..Will update once i get a lens on and start shooting.

I nearly pulled the trigger to at Panomoz but I rang the shop where I have mine reserved and am top of the list now the NPS members got theres

It looks like the FTZ adaptors aren't coming through to the UK at least as yet? I think if my Z9 arrives anytime soon going have to buy a second hand mk1 version and just hope don't need to do any portrait wildlife shots anytime soon as that only difference the bump on the bottom?

I been out today with D850 and it never lets me down , like you I won't be going to 20fps but be good to see what you think and look forward to seeing your thoughts on it!

I nearly pulled the trigger to at Panomoz but I rang the shop where I have mine reserved and am top of the list now the NPS members got theres

It looks like the FTZ adaptors aren't coming through to the UK at least as yet? I think if my Z9 arrives anytime soon going have to buy a second hand mk1 version and just hope don't need to do any portrait wildlife shots anytime soon as that only difference the bump on the bottom?

I been out today with D850 and it never lets me down , like you I won't be going to 20fps but be good to see what you think and look forward to seeing your thoughts on it!
Where did you order yours?

So got an answer on where I am in the NPS queue now, and I'm apparently 5th in the list. I was 8th in the list before the Z9 started shipping and I know they have shipped/sold far more than 3 from the shop as I've seen posts all over about people getting them. So again it seems there is really no value at all in being NPS in the UK. It's good it's free to be an NPS member here because if I was paying for this I'd not be happy at all. I'm actually now at the point where I don't see any reason to order in the UK anymore, as you can order from Panamoz and get a 3 year warranty and at a generally lower price. Quite disappointed TBH, first world problems though.

Except the Panamoz price (when they have it in stock) is actually £5,500, whereas in the UK it's only £5,299 (so a £200 premium for buying grey just to get it quicker) ?

In the case of this specific body yes. But that is somewhat reduced if you take into account you'd have to pay extra in the UK for a 3 year warranty, And Panamoz have had stock a couple of times. The Z9 is the only case I've seen them higher than retail. I've always been of the opinion that buying UK supported Nikon UK who, especially if you're NPS, gave you some benefits. Those benefits seem to be disappearing over time. You get to a tipping point where the benefits don't outweigh the cons of importing.

I paid the £200 as it was worth it to me, i get extra warranty on a camera which is by all accounts needs longer term testing to irn out issues. I get the camera eaier which allows me to sell my current camera before prices start to drop a but more so that £200 extra isnt really any more.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any experience with the new 105 macro? Out of stock everywhere, but seemingly getting good reviews. Any better than the previous F mount version?

The £200 isn't a great difference and is very relevant with the points you have made.
It was £435 which would have been harder to justify, but the extra £200 wouldn't stop me purchasing one rather than having to wait, If I could afford it at present.

Has anyone had any experience with the new 105 macro? Out of stock everywhere, but seemingly getting good reviews. Any better than the previous F mount version?
Yes, I've had one since 2 weeks after release. An excellent replacement for the old 105mm. Very sharp, faster focusing, light and the limiter actually works the way you'd think it should. (by limiting it in the macro range) plenty of photos posted by me in this group from it.

Last edited:
Yes I've had one since early August. I agree with Steve, it is a step up from the old.
I also like the way it balances on the Z7.

Here are a couple of pics from Mrs allotment. Heavy crop on the bumble.

Bumble Aug 21 (1 of 1) by Peter Stephens, on Flickr

Butternut squash by Peter Stephens, on Flickr

Last edited:
Is there anyone using a Z6 II for motorsport / fast action photography? How is the AF-C performance with the latest firmware please?

Also interested to hear how AF-C performance is using F mount lenses with the adaptor?

I wouldn't probably use any of the auto modes or dynamic tracking, just single point.

Thank you.

Is there anyone using a Z6 II for motorsport / fast action photography? How is the AF-C performance with the latest firmware please?

Also interested to hear how AF-C performance is using F mount lenses with the adaptor?

I wouldn't probably use any of the auto modes or dynamic tracking, just single point.

Thank you.
I have used the Z6 for MMA using only single point. It was capable of handling that. The Z6II would be a little more capable and using single point I've had no problem with the focus. I've used many adapted lenses and have not noticed any conceivable difference in their operation. I have since went Z-mount only to try and maximise the value when selling off my F-mount lenses, also so I don't have to carry or swap any of lenses with the FTZ.

Thank you.
Use my Z6II for cycling and have no issues, eye tracking works reasonably well most times but if I’m having any issues ( low light high contrast) I switch to good old single point and have no problems. Still have no Z glass so using FTZ with 24/70 and 70/200 and quick AF with no issues.

I'm tempted if they get more in. I wouldn't get the free CFExpress card if I cancel my UK order but them it's sandisk anyway and I have always had issues with sandisk cards.

Use my Z6II for cycling and have no issues, eye tracking works reasonably well most times but if I’m having any issues ( low light high contrast) I switch to good old single point and have no problems. Still have no Z glass so using FTZ with 24/70 and 70/200 and quick AF with no issues.
Interesting, thank you.

I’ve used it for rallying, no issues at all. Both native lenses and also the sigma 150-600C

Rallying is where I'd use it mostly, which AF mode(s) do you use? Native lenses as in Z mount?

I was to get the free card but now cancelled that order. I always use Sandisk however they just aren't quick enough to put the Z9 through it paces. Im still looking at what cards to get and until then my Sandisk cards will need to do.
I’ve been using the Integral card in my Z bodies, 1700 read/1600 write and no compatibility issues.

I’ve been using the Integral card in my Z bodies, 1700 read/1600 write and no compatibility issues.
The sustained write on those, as with most, is quite low though. The Z9 is brutal
On cards as 45mpx @20fps needs really high sustained write speeds. Although the reality is for video most will never need more than a second or so at that rate.

The sustained write on those, as with most, is quite low though. The Z9 is brutal
On cards as 45mpx @20fps needs really high sustained write speeds. Although the reality is for video most will never need more than a second or so at that rate.
What cards are faster? From what I can see online, most top specced cards are 1700/1600 or below so the same as the Integral card.

I’m guessing useable write speed is the case and the Integral can’t actually hit 1600 write as advertised? Otherwise I can’t see a faster CFexpress type B card on the market.

What cards are faster? From what I can see online, most top specced cards are 1700/1600 or below so the same as the Integral card.

I’m guessing useable write speed is the case and the Integral can’t actually hit 1600 write as advertised? Otherwise I can’t see a faster CFexpress type B card on the market.
Card manufacturers quote the maximum write speed not sustained. Only a very few have sustained write speeds that high. I’d guess the integral cards are ~400 sustained write speed like most others. For general photography it won’t matter too much though I don’t think.

Ah that’s actually quite poor then I guess though not too badly priced.

I don’t do sports photography or transport so isn’t an issue for me personally.

Sustained write speed is the important spec. If the Integral hits 1600 for a second but then drops to 800, it'll not perform too well in the Z9.
also dont forget the camera will have a large buffer too, the Z7II with intergra CFExpress never stops (I know that is 10FPS not 20FPS) but I would bet most would not need anymore even with Z9 apart from when testing when new just to see

also dont forget the camera will have a large buffer too, the Z7II with intergra CFExpress never stops (I know that is 10FPS not 20FPS) but I would bet most would not need anymore even with Z9 apart from when testing when new just to see
Yeah, I'm sure it'll do the Z7II fine. I'm still using my old Lexar 440MB/s XQD in my Z7II and it'll choke but I'm never taking long bursts.

Last edited:
I bought a Angelbird one in readiness haha

It seems to get good reviews and a 3 year warranty, there speeds below

SUSTAINED READ SPEED1785 MB/s
SUSTAINED WRITE SPEED1480 MB/s

Back