Nikon Z* mirrorless

Morning all, is anyone using the 24-120 non Z mount lens, I mean the older kit lens that used to come with the D750s etc? I'm thinking of going to this lens with the adaptor, to save myself some money. Currently have the 24-200 and I'm not really impressed with the quality of it, I wonder if the 24-120 is better?
I have one (24-120f4) and use it with my Z6. No complaints with picture quality from me.

Haha sorry just laughing at the mention of cycling, I could have sworn this was me ;) Personally wouldnt put the TC2 on the 70-200, you do loose a bit of quality and speed of focus, it is only a little but it is there.
What are you looking to achieve, not one use case fits all,
As has been said if you don’t mind grey imports then you can get these items quicker in most cases, and normally a bit cheaper too.

With the 2x you lose a little bit of sharpness, but it's still close to the native sharpness of F mounts with the 2x on. I've not noticed any slow down in speed though.

Now that's exciting, so tempted to switch to a Nikon mirrorless systems, as I currently use a D500, it's just making that final decision and going for it, which Z do you use and would you recommend it?

Now that's exciting, so tempted to switch to a Nikon mirrorless systems, as I currently use a D500, it's just making that final decision and going for it, which Z do you use and would you recommend it?
Z9. Moved from a D850 and D5.

It’s wonderful but then it bloody well should be as it is the Nikon flagship.

On the 100-400, first impressions are very positive. Feels lighter than I thought expected and is razor sharp. Really good lens to cover the range.

Well the small object/eye detect does seem improved - I tried it on a blackbird half way down the garden and 3d tracking went bird/head/eye very quickly. Wide area and animal detect didn't seem to spot it quite so quickly. If it can find Otters' eyes rather than their ears then I will be mighty chuffed!

Well it'll be interesting to see what the new update does to my new toy. Hoping find out Saturday.
Z9.jpg

I spent a few hours with Puffins and various other birds in flight, and the Z9's 2.1 update does appear to work better at tracking and locking on (500mm PF lens) I tried panning towards various species of static birds and it's on the eye pretty much before I can think about it.

A shame manufacturers can't sort/update their earlier efforts (z6ii)
If it's regarding the focusing issues with the Z6ii then it will never be resolved as it's down to the camera internals.

Spotted in the wild.

_7510239.jpg

Bigger is better. How are you guys finding it, thrilled with my FL ED F mount one on the D850 being honest.

I never had the FL as I had the VR2 70-200 before moving to mirrorless. The 70-200 and 24-70 are the very best lenses I've ever owned, but the 70-200 I'd say is an incremental change most of the time. But on a Z9 it's really lightneing fast. Both these Z lenses are pretty special though. Then again, they all are.

Z9 and 70-200. Great combo.
There were a few other Zs in evidence. As many as DSLRs, and over all I saw one Canon, two Sony and at least seven Nikons plus my two in teh way of up market cameras. And they say Nikon is dead.

I'm still tempted by a Z6 but lack the funds and am concerned my most used (Tamron) lens might not play nicely on it. :(

There were a few other Zs in evidence. As many as DSLRs, and over all I saw one Canon, two Sony and at least seven Nikons plus my two in teh way of up market cameras. And they say Nikon is dead.

I'm still tempted by a Z6 but lack the funds and am concerned my most used (Tamron) lens might not play nicely on it. :(

Nikon is far from dead. Z mount demand is through the roof and Nikon cannot build them fast enough to keep the demand in check.

I've recently moved over to the Z6ii from Fuji X. I'm really enjoying it so far, in the limited use I've had of it. The ergonomics feel great!

Currently just got the 24-70 f4 and 50 1.8. That should do me for the majority of what I shoot, with the exception of the 14-30 which is on the list.

Why not send an email to Tamron to check. Might need a firmware update.

Why not send an email to Tamron to check. Might need a firmware update.
It's an option, but I'd rather have real world user experience.

Anyway, I've decided I'll be going with a D780 when I have some spare cash. It's supposed to have the liveview of the Z6 (or near enough) which is all I am looking for over my D750 (I don't need an EVF) and it will focus my old screw-drive lenses.

Hmmm so I’ve found that my sigma 18-250 hsm OS AF on the ZFC via adapter.. but does not AF on my Z7….

I've recently moved over to the Z6ii from Fuji X. I'm really enjoying it so far, in the limited use I've had of it. The ergonomics feel great!

Currently just got the 24-70 f4 and 50 1.8. That should do me for the majority of what I shoot, with the exception of the 14-30 which is on the list.
Glad that the 14-30 is on your list. I have a Z6, 24-70/4 and 50/1.8 as well as a lot of FX lenses. I really baulked at the price for the 14-30 but it is the best lens buying decision that I ever made ( but I do like UWA ). With the other Z lenses it makes an extremely compact "travel" kit. Sure, at above 22mm it can be a little weak at the corners cf the 14-24 but I really don't see that in real life and on a 24 mpx sensor. I sold my other WA zooms and a 14/2.8 Samyang -no regrets.

Glad that the 14-30 is on your list. I have a Z6, 24-70/4 and 50/1.8 as well as a lot of FX lenses. I really baulked at the price for the 14-30 but it is the best lens buying decision that I ever made ( but I do like UWA ). With the other Z lenses it makes an extremely compact "travel" kit. Sure, at above 22mm it can be a little weak at the corners cf the 14-24 but I really don't see that in real life and on a 24 mpx sensor. I sold my other WA zooms and a 14/2.8 Samyang -no regrets.

I had the 10-24 on my X and loved it. I can live with the 24 end being my widest for now, but down the line, I'll definitely grab the 14-30. Really impressed with the system so far.

I bought the Z6ii last year mainly because I thought it would be lighter than my D500. My main hobby is photographing whippet racing. I have a few issues with it:
1. have great difficulty in seeing the red focus box against green grass (or anything really) - the black focus box on the D500 is much easier to see. I know I cannot change the colour but it is quite a drawback for me as I only have a few seconds to get a bead on a dog.
2. I shoot in Manual (settings, 1/2000s. f6.3, auto iso, approx 70mm on Z24-200mm lens), focus through the viewfinder, BBF, using AF-C and single point focus (although I have tried most others) but when using 'continuous' or 'continuous extended' after about 5 shots I get an almost strobe effect when looking through the viewfinder and by the time that clears the dogs have gone passed. With the D500 I start shooting when the dogs are about 20 yds away and then in the space of ~ 8 shots I can follow them through as they pass me.
I have no idea what/why there is this time lag. It does not happen when shooting a stationary object - then the shutter fires all the time. Very frustrating. Going to double check my AF settings.

It is a bit lighter than the D500 but not by a lot.
Bit disappointed in it really. It was a special treat which has turned out to be not all that special. Just considering selling it and put it down to a bad decision on my part. Unless you can all persuade me otherwise?

Apart from the Z9, none of the Z's competes with the D500 for sport and action.
This has been the consensus view for a while.
Hopefully some of the Z9's features will trickle down to a "Z500" in the near future.

Only the Z9 has DSLR rivalling AF performance. The Z9 is exactly what's needed. I was never happy with any Z6, Z6ii, Z7ii on AF but the Z9 nails it. Unfortunately we have to wait for that Exxpeed7 processor to trickle down to the other Z bodies. Until then for action like described above I'd stick with the D500. Number 2 on that list is more to do with the horrible lag between the EVF and the taking of an image. There's an odd defect I found on the Z6ii where the lag got much much worse when panning than if the camera body was more stationary. No idea why but it made panning near impossible for me.

So my Z6 sold on the bay. Will be shipping off tomorrow. The really good deals on the Zfc have ended now which is annoying. But now there is also the Z30 into play. It’s cheaper but lacks the evf and that retro styling.

Only the Z9 has DSLR rivalling AF performance. The Z9 is exactly what's needed. I was never happy with any Z6, Z6ii, Z7ii on AF but the Z9 nails it. Unfortunately we have to wait for that Exxpeed7 processor to trickle down to the other Z bodies. Until then for action like described above I'd stick with the D500. Number 2 on that list is more to do with the horrible lag between the EVF and the taking of an image. There's an odd defect I found on the Z6ii where the lag got much much worse when panning than if the camera body was more stationary. No idea why but it made panning near impossible for me.
What I found using my Z6 and Z7ii were you could get the odd shot when doing motorsport that was bang on but it was just the odd one. It wasn't technique as using my DSLR's I got great results but the mirrorless ones struggled, apart from the Z9. As you say, the lag is terrible and it's like waiting for Christmas whereas the Z9 is so quick. Lets hope the Z version of the D500 comes soon as I'd love a second body but I'm not paying Z9 money again.

Back