Nikon Z* mirrorless

Does anyone know if it’s possible to save full size RAW files to one card & smaller sized RAW files to the second card on the Z7ii.

Off for a long weekend and would be useful to be able to download medium RAW files to LRC to play with whilst away.

£300 off that once you sell the lens is still very good imo.

Very true, just a bit more than I wanted to pay for something that's likely to be abused in an everyday bag :) The Z9 goes when I am aiming to take photos

I just occasionally ask myself whether the Z7 wouldn't have been better for my mainly landscape photography than the Z6 and really can't decide. When first looking at the Z system, it was actually the 7 I tried out as the shop didn't yet have the 6 in stock. Certainly I'd have been very tempted if I was buying just now (it's €1999 in Europe so for once the UK is not paying over the odds). But I'm not.

Was tempted but don't want the lens, luckily for my bank balance they didn't discount body only hahah

Same - I wouldn't mind the body - just to try then add a grey 14-24 or Z 20mm to it. The body isn't great, but the lenses you can put on it are.

It'll be the last of the old stock. It really is quite an old camera design wise.

Same - I wouldn't mind the body - just to try then add a grey 14-24 or Z 20mm to it. The body isn't great, but the lenses you can put on it are.

It'll be the last of the old stock. It really is quite an old camera design wise.

YEah I'd just put the 28/2.8 on it for 90% of the time as for me that would be a perfect walk around. It's as good as the Z7ii so it's a bargain at the price but just more than I'd want to pay for something that might end up getting slowly "patina'd" over time through misuse :)

I'm still half tempted though, even though the zfc would be a cheaper choice, that Z7 sensor can't be beaten.

Last edited:
YEah I'd just put the 28/2.8 on it for 90% of the time as for me that would be a perfect walk around. It's as good as the Z7ii so it's a bargain at the price but just more than I'd want to pay for something that might end up getting slowly "patina'd" over time through misuse :)

I'm still half tempted though, even though the zfc would be a cheaper choice, that Z7 sensor can't be beaten.

I got a Sigma ART 28 1.4, 40 ART and 50 ART for the D850, it is insane, honestly medium format quality. I could adapt these but I love the D850.

Sadly, nothing F mount designed really stacks up at the wide angles for high resolution cameras - but the Z stuff is highly impressive but that requires a Z camera.

I just occasionally ask myself whether the Z7 wouldn't have been better for my mainly landscape photography than the Z6 and really can't decide. When first looking at the Z system, it was actually the 7 I tried out as the shop didn't yet have the 6 in stock. Certainly I'd have been very tempted if I was buying just now (it's €1999 in Europe so for once the UK is not paying over the odds). But I'm not.
I switched from a Z6 to a Z7ii earlier this year. Really like my Z6 but the Z7ii is a beast of a machine in terms of image resolution.

Must admit I look at images from other cameras I have with less MP & it’s quite noticeable now… didn’t think it would be.

Having said that I’ve noticed the load on my iMac processing the Z7ii files so it’s a bit of a trade off.

The Z7ii is the right tool for the job for me and what I mainly shoot.

I switched from a Z6 to a Z7ii earlier this year. Really like my Z6 but the Z7ii is a beast of a machine in terms of image resolution.

Must admit I look at images from other cameras I have with less MP & it’s quite noticeable now… didn’t think it would be.

Having said that I’ve noticed the load on my iMac processing the Z7ii files so it’s a bit of a trade off.

The Z7ii is the right tool for the job for me and what I mainly shoot.
Resolution was one of the deciding factors stopping my jumping to the X-H2s. After having 45mp for so long dropping to 26 was really noticeable. Plus Nikon 45mp sensors are so good. The Z7ii I still say is the best camera I’ve ever used on pure image quality.

Having said that I’ve noticed the load on my iMac processing the Z7ii files so it’s a bit of a trade off
this is the one major thing that still puts me off the higher density sensor -- a combination of slower processing and much more disk space required. I suspect the 24mp sensor will be history with the next generation, though, so we'll need to get used to it. I must admit, I rather like the 16Mp sensor in the Df (which I picked up second hand early in the year), though -- older lenses really shine with it.

No argument from me here Pete.
I've "only" got the original Z7, which I got at quite a good used price($1400) in California earlier in the year. I like it very much, I run along side it my R5 but the Z7 definitely as the edge I would say in usability. Pictures always seem just that little bit better to me when I compare them vs the R5.

this is the one major thing that still puts me off the higher density sensor -- a combination of slower processing and much more disk space required. I suspect the 24mp sensor will be history with the next generation, though, so we'll need to get used to it. I must admit, I rather like the 16Mp sensor in the Df (which I picked up second hand early in the year), though -- older lenses really shine with it.
Disk space is cheap nowadays - I just use an external HDD to store my RAW files on.

I will say the Z7ii files are the best I’ve ever seen from any camera & definitely worth the trade off for me. YMMV.

Ooooh a Df user! I shot with a Df for about 3ish years. Definitely one of the best DSLRs that I've owned. I get that it's not perfect, but the images that came from that sensor were pretty special. It was a really nice camera to use, despite some of its flaws and quirks.
Definitely shaped a lot of my photography and got me out shooting, which is the key thing. I'd done some printing, mostly A2 and A3 and it certainly delivered there too. I think we can easily get hooked up on wanting more megapixels.

I sold up my Df and moved to an X-T3 which I had for about 2 years. Great camera, and I love the Fuji colour science, however, I'm now back with Nikon - Z6ii and have no regrets. The sensor has delivered some lovely results so far and is the right balance of output and file size. I think, from what I read, it's better at higher ISO's too (though could be negligible). The Df was really good at high ISO too.
Haven't regretted not getting the 7, despite mostly doing landscapes. It's a pretty special sensor though, I can't deny that.

Disk space is cheap nowadays - I just use an external HDD to store my RAW files on
of course this is a perfectly fair comment and my external drive has plenty of space at present. Trouble is I'm now in the habit of keeping the RAW's on the main drive as I only convert to JPEG's at all when I want to share them. Until around four years ago, I simply deleted the majority of RAW's --only keeping around 20% of the better or more important ones. I should perhaps rethink my strategy

Would anyone on here be interested in splitting the postage for one of these?
Postage is $39 for one, almost the same price as the item itself.

Would anyone on here be interested in splitting the postage for one of these?
Postage is $39 for one, almost the same price as the item itself.
Anyone??

I checked and the quoted shipping is actually less than the current price for a small flat rate priority box to the UK (one of the cheapest ways to ship from here typically)... I was a little surprised.
Perhaps contact Karl and ask about another slower shipping option; he's typically pretty responsive/helpful.

Nikon Z MC 105mm Macro lens £860 on amazon.co.uk (sold by amazon) lowest ever I think for anyone that doesn't have it. Even cheaper than grey import.
It's on at £535 with a very dodgy looking Amazon seller.

I checked and the quoted shipping is actually less than the current price for a small flat rate priority box to the UK (one of the cheapest ways to ship from here typically)... I was a little surprised.
Perhaps contact Karl and ask about another slower shipping option; he's typically pretty responsive/helpful.
I have had contact. Quoting $44 shipping :(
Hence why I'm trying to get a few of us who want one together.

Z9 & HSS
This week I discovered an issue with the Z9 - ay least when using Elinchrom flash equipment & HSS.
Seems Elinchrom knows about it and is 'investigating'.
Despite having my Z9 for almost a year now I have only now tried it with my strobes (I have relied on my D850 for flash work simply because I know and trust it 100%).
Basically the camera is not syncing correctly at higher shutter speeds leading to significantly light fall off/banding in images.
I've no idea when or if there will be a fix for this but just wanted to highlight it for anyone who wants or needs to use their Z9 & HSS. I use Elinchrom gear and have no idea whether this issue exists with other manufacturer's equipment.

Z9 & HSS
This week I discovered an issue with the Z9 - ay least when using Elinchrom flash equipment & HSS.
Seems Elinchrom knows about it and is 'investigating'.
Despite having my Z9 for almost a year now I have only now tried it with my strobes (I have relied on my D850 for flash work simply because I know and trust it 100%).
Basically the camera is not syncing correctly at higher shutter speeds leading to significantly light fall off/banding in images.
I've no idea when or if there will be a fix for this but just wanted to highlight it for anyone who wants or needs to use their Z9 & HSS. I use Elinchrom gear and have no idea whether this issue exists with other manufacturer's equipment.
It is an issue with other flash brands/models as well... to include some of Nikon's own. It doesn't always show, and I don't know of any singular fix for it...

Last edited:
It's on at £535 with a very dodgy looking Amazon seller.
Should say I did buy one from Amazon directly and it arrived yesterday.

First impressions; very light! Just as good quality wise as the previous model on my D850.

Back