Nikon Z* mirrorless

The (finally announced) 180-600 seems an incredibly attractive proposition.
I am going to hang fire until I can see some independent findings.
I had the 200-500 but was never happy with the images from it.
Yep, and the extending barrel zoom was a real turn off. This internal zooming lens looks the answer to a lot of telephoto zoom questions.

Nice one Nikon.

If the images from the 180-600 are decent I think Nikon have smashed it out the ball park with this one. No need get the Sony one and an iffy adapter just get the Z mount and away you go. Nice one Nikon.

The new Nikon Z 180-600 and Z8 offerings are what a lot of people have been waiting for. Both are priced pretty well considering what they offer and should be very popular. They got there in the end. :)

it's now showing at most of the major UK retailers - WEX, Park, Greys, LCE etc. I'm pretty sure this will be my next lens, but I think I'll wait for a few months then hopefully get one end of this year early next (or perhaps sooner grey) ?

Last edited:
I've placed my preorder. Tempted to await cheaper grey version but decided that I couldn't wait..... It looks too good.

What I've found interesting so far is that Ricci in his YouTube video said he would take the 180-600mm over the 100-400mm, the image quality results he's done do look pretty damn good for the price.

I've placed my preorder. Tempted to await cheaper grey version but decided that I couldn't wait..... It looks too good.
Same, I've been waiting on this lens... and it may well be the only Z lens I buy.

I've been happily using the Sigma 60-600 on the Z9, and IDT the Z180-600 is really going to be an $1800 (US) upgrade. But I do think (hope) it will be well worth what I'll lose selling off the Sigma used.

To be honest my 100-400 has never really jelled with me, which is why it remains hardly used. It's a pretty heavy and "dumpy" lens and, and the range is fairly limited for wildlife at 400mm without converters. I would expect the new 180-600 to be optically superb (as all the Z lenses have been), so I can see myself trading the 100-400 in for the 180-600 which would suits my needs much better and is only a 1/3 stop worse at the long end and is still fully weather sealed (and internally zoomed).

Does anyone know what is the cause of the corrupt image, see attached, seems to be on about 5 of 15 images but not in the same place, sometimes at the top of the frame, sometimes in the middle.

DSC_0013.jpg

Most likely cause is memory card I think. Try with another ? The fact that the corruption moves between frames would suggest that it's not the sensor ?

Most likely cause is memory card I think. Try with another ? The fact that the corruption moves between frames would suggest that it's not the sensor ?
I’m using a sd card from my d750 as my cfexpress card has not arrived yet. That might be the cause then as it could be too slow.

Was worried about it at first as I thought the sensor might be faulty.

I’m using a sd card from my d750 as my cfexpress card has not arrived yet. That might be the cause then as it could be too slow.

Was worried about it at first as I thought the sensor might be faulty.
I have used the slow SD cards from my d750 and did not get that. Do you have another SD card to test it whilst you wait for the cfexpress?

I have used the slow SD cards from my d750 and did not get that. Do you have another SD card to test it whilst you wait for the cfexpress?
I do but I’m out and about at the moment. The cards are Kingston 32gig uh1 if I remember. Will try a couple of others later tonight. I do hope it’s not the sensor as it will be a faff sending it to Nikon

What I've found interesting so far is that Ricci in his YouTube video said he would take the 180-600mm over the 100-400mm, the image quality results he's done do look pretty damn good for the price.
I think they're different lenses which suit different purposes, I have a 100-400mm and a 150-600mm but while I use the 100-400mm all the time I rarely use the 150-600mm. The 100-400mm is just on the limit for size/weight to easily carry around with me and it has a versatile range for general use whereas the 150-600mm is just too bulky so rarely gets used. However I can absolutely see why people would want and use such a lens as even at 400mm I find at times I need to crop a lot for some subjects.

I do but I’m out and about at the moment. The cards are Kingston 32gig uh1 if I remember. Will try a couple of others later tonight. I do hope it’s not the sensor as it will be a faff sending it to Nikon
I've seen similar images when I've had corruption on memory cards or problems with the memory card interface, I had a card reader which would produce images like this when I copied the images to the PC and a camera that developed a fault that would corrupt images when writing to the memory card. That was smartmedia though which I found to be a very unreliable format, I don't think I've had the problem with any other memory cards.

I've never seen corruption like that from a slow card, on the D750 when the card was too slow it would just take ages to clear the buffer and in video it would drop many frames.

Fingers crossed it's not your camera.

I think it is like the 28-75 2.8 - a Tamron rebrand. Good budget level thing though.

The 180-600 opens up a lot of doors and a Z9 and that has me having major grey lets hit Panamoz up GAS.
On Gray's youtube channel during a chat with "someone" from Nikon, it might have been Ricci, it was said that although these lenses are made by Tamron, they aren't just rebranded, but have been customised to meet some Nikon specs.

The things mentioned were changes to the lens coatings, using the same stepping motors that Nikon use, and some tweaks to the weather sealing.

This was after the first Nikon-Tamron lens was released and it was assumed/known there were more to follow.

I can't say I've seen this mentioned anywhere else.

Last edited:
The 180-600 might just bring me back to Nikon.
I used Nikon since 2005, but my last new Nikon body was the d700, which I still have, but in the meantime have been using Fuji and Sony.

The Sony 200-600 is an amazing lens and does everything I need it to, along with my a9, but I have GAS and it’s a toss up between the a1 and keep the 200-600, or get a z8/9 and the 180-600. The new auto capture feature on the z9 looks very interesting aswell. That would be super useful for the type of stuff I shoot.
Ill wait to see the grey price for the 180–600, if it’s around £1500 then that’s probably me sold.

On Gray's youtube channel during a chat with "someone" from Nikon, it might have been Ricci, it was said that although these lenses are made by Tamron, they aren't just rebranded, but have been customised to meet some Nikon specs.

The things mentioned were changes to the lens coatings, using the same stepping motors that Nikon use, and some tweaks to the weather sealing.

This was after the first Nikon-Tamron lens was released and it was assumed/known there were more to follow.

I can't see I've seen this mentioned anywhere else.
I guess that would figure as there's quite a price jump between the Tamron versions for E mount etc, then these.

Fine enough lenses I am sure though.

I guess that would figure as there's quite a price jump between the Tamron versions for E mount etc, then these.

Fine enough lenses I am sure though.
It also must save Nikon a lot in development and factory costs, and allow them to build up their lens range that bit quicker. The 28-75, and the 70-180, Tamrons both seem to have a good reputation for their optical quality.

I sent my very poor performing Delkin Black 150GB cfexpress card back to them. The 48hr replacement took quite a bit longer than expexted. On the plus side they replaced it with the 325GB variant.
That's a good swap. 325's are pricey.

What exactly was wrong with it?

I've just got the 150 from Wex.
Because I've hardly had any chance to go out and shoot I can't evaluate it.
It's worked fine on a few test shots of planes going over.

What exactly was wrong with it?

I've just got the 150 from Wex.
Because I've hardly had any chance to go out and shoot I can't evaluate it.
It's worked fine on a few test shots of planes going over.
I bought 2 during a offer at WEX and only ever used one of them until I changed from my Z7II to the Z8. While using the second one I'd notice short bursts and image review pauses. Thinking it was my camera settings or not pressing the button firmly enough to cycle through the images. It's when I went to transfer the images to my PC that I noticed it to be cripplingly slow. I thought it was the file format or a dodgy USB-C cable. I then downloaded crystaldiskmark and ran the tests. It was topping out at just over 40MB/s. I then changed cables and tried transferring directly from the camera with the same results. The other card was well over 1000MB/s. I sent this data to Delkin and they agreed that something wasn't right.

Thanks.

Well mine is slow to load into LR compared to XQD on Z7.
I'll do some more tests.

Yes, I can't wait for some detailed comparisons though, when the production models go on release.

I have a second Z9 body on its way to me - hence I need to buy a second battery.
Although I bought one for my first Z9 body I can't bring myself to pay the £179 for the Nikon battery.
I did have a Wasabi battery for that first body.
Looking for recommendations for 3rd party batteries please - anybody using anything that they would be happy to recommend?
Hahnel do an equivalent which is very tempting (recognised and reputable company...).
Please no comments about expensive camera, cheap battery. My choice and I have used third party batteries without issue in every camera body I have owned.

Recommendations please. Ta! :)

Smallrig L bracket arrived today for my Z8.
As expected it's a great fit and seems well engineered. Allows opening of battery compartment with a bit of the bracket that moves out of the way.
Ordered from Smallrig eBay £40

I wish I had not bought the Z6ii

it has just cost me another £1700 as I have pre ordered a 180-600 :)
My Siggy 150-600 seems really front heavy when extended, the internal zoom of the new Nikon will be most welcome.

I wish I had not bought the Z6ii

it has just cost me another £1700 as I have pre ordered a 180-600 :)
My Siggy 150-600 seems really front heavy when extended, the internal zoom of the new Nikon will be most welcome.
Don't forget all the other bits you have also had to buy whist upgrading from the D750.

Did you get a chance to test another card?

Did you get a chance to test another card?
yes I did, all was fine, coincidently my CF express card arrive yesterday as well :)

one thing I read over on Nikonians is that the z7ii reverts to the slowest speed of a card that is inserted, does that apply to the z6ii ???
if it does then the CF card will not run at full speed which is way faster than a SD card which seems rather odd.

I have slot one set to RAW L and the SD card set to jpeg medium.

Last edited:
yes I did, all was fine, coincidently my CF express card arrive yesterday as well :)

one thing I read over on Nikonians is that the z7ii reverts to the slowest speed of a card that is inserted, does that apply to the z6ii ???
if it does then the CF card will not run at full speed which is way faster than a SD card which seems rather odd.

I have slot one set to RAW L and the SD card set to jpeg medium.
That is good news.

With regards to CF and SD, yes your CF will slow down when using a SD as the second slot.

Depends what you need the burst mode for, it may be just okay.

I just need a second card as a back up so not worried about it slowing down.

Back