Nikon Z* mirrorless

one thing I read over on Nikonians is that the z7ii reverts to the slowest speed of a card that is inserted, does that apply to the z6ii ???
I've read this, but it makes no sense to me... and my testing w/ the Z9 doesn't seem to support it.

What will happen is that the moment you start writing to both cards things slow down significantly. Like from unlimited buffer to 300 images max (Z9 with 2 high speed CFE cards, HE*). And it slows down even further if you have it write anything other than the same file type to the second card. In the case of recording raw, having it write jpeg basic (the raw file's embedded thumbnail) to the second card is the fastest mode; with raw to both cards next.

Yes, the cards are limited to whatever their individual max is; but I've seen nothing that clearly shows that a slower card lowers the write speed to both cards... and why would it? I don't think it's the same thing as combining ram chips with different bus speeds (which does throttle the entire pipeline). In either case, the dual card penalty is so significant that it makes the whole "I need the fastest card possible" stuff only relevant to recording video or if the second card is used in overflow mode (where only 1 card is used).

I've done similar tests with D4 (2 XQD) and D850 (XQD/SD) with similar results...

Last edited:
I can't find the link to Nikon UK/Europe on how and where to send my Z8 for service regarding lens lock/unlock. Any help, please?

"Nikon issued a service advisory/recall for the Nikon Z8 camera. The described problem is that a lens cannot be mounted on the camera because the lens cannot be rotated to the locked position.13 hours ago"

Just checked my series number and my camera is affected!

I can't find the link to Nikon UK/Europe on how and where to send my Z8 for service regarding lens lock/unlock. Any help, please?

"Nikon issued a service advisory/recall for the Nikon Z8 camera. The described problem is that a lens cannot be mounted on the camera because the lens cannot be rotated to the locked position.13 hours ago"

Just checked my series number and my camera is affected!
I think they all are. I’ll be waiting a bit before sending mine in.

Well my Z8 is on the list of serial numbers affected so I've contacted Nikon UK to see what to do next. Hopefully being NPS they offer some sort of assistance. I will only send the camera away when I know it's going to be turned round quick too. Just when you think all is going well..............

Well my Z8 is on the list of serial numbers affected so I've contacted Nikon UK to see what to do next. Hopefully being NPS they offer some sort of assistance. I will only send the camera away when I know it's going to be turned round quick too. Just when you think all is going well..............

I intend to wait a bit until the dust settles down before sending mine in as I haven't experienced the locking/unlocking issue yet.

I’m not sure NPS helps much these days but it used to give priority turnaround. I haven’t contacted them about mine yet to see if they still do that. Bummer if it takes weeks, I’m probably going to wait a bit to send mine unless NPS gives a quick turn around.

I intend to wait a bit until the dust settles down before sending mine in as I haven't experienced the locking/unlocking issue yet.
I'm doing exactly the same with mine. Thing is at the moment it's only getting used with my 70-200 so it's not an issue. As yet.

I had the D600 and I could hardly take an image that wasn't covered in oil.
They screwed me over and released the D610, then done a D600 recall after I'd changed camera.
So this is a vast improvement over that disgrace.
I also had the D750 recall.

I had the D600 and I could hardly take an image that wasn't covered in oil.
They screwed me over and released the D610, then done a D600 recall after I'd changed camera.
So this is a vast improvement over that disgrace.
I also had the D750 recall.
Did you move to Canon? LOL.

I never actually checked if my D750 had been recalled but just checked now and apparently it is part of the recall o_O

Is there any indication of how widespread the issue with the Z8 is? I'm wondering what effect it will have on the supply of Z8's as there must be a lot of them in the supply chain not yet sold that have the problem.

Panamoz now showing the Z8 as being out of stock. Wonder if they have just down a bulk return of their stock due to the recall.

Anyone recommend a wide fast lens for sport (cycling photographer) I need a fast focusing lens that’s sharp. For the amount of time I would use it wouldn’t mind using an older lens with the the FTZ. I know how good the the 14-24 Z lens is but can I get 95% of that for a limited budget?

Anyone recommend a wide fast lens for sport (cycling photographer) I need a fast focusing lens that’s sharp. For the amount of time I would use it wouldn’t mind using an older lens with the the FTZ. I know how good the the 14-24 Z lens is but can I get 95% of that for a limited budget?
16-35/4 G

What's wrong with the 14-30/4?

I picked up an F mount Tamron 17-35 f2.8/4 Di OSD cheap. Well happy with its AF speed and sharpness. The only downside, the focus ring spins when in AF so you have to watch your fingers. Other than that, well impressed with it.

Is that the only e-mount lens you have/use?
No idea what you mean by 'e-mount'??
I have several Sigma art lenses that I was using with my Z9 - 40mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 135mm f/1.8, 14-24 f/2.8.
Until very recently I was also using the f-mount 24-70 f/2.8E as well.
Other F mount lenses that I use include 200mm f/2, 300mm f/2.8, 135mmf/2 DC.

No idea what you mean by 'e-mount'??
I have several Sigma art lenses that I was using with my Z9 - 40mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 135mm f/1.8, 14-24 f/2.8.
Until very recently I was also using the f-mount 24-70 f/2.8E as well.
Other F mount lenses that I use include 200mm f/2, 300mm f/2.8, 135mmf/2 DC.
Oops sorry ignore me.
I posted on here a while back looking for some feedback on the megadap adapter. And didn't get any replies (probably because no one uses it)
since you mentioned sigma 14-24mm, I automatically assumed you were adapting the e-mount (Sony mirrorless) version without realising a DSLR version also exists. I just got ahead of myself because I was considering it myself.

Apologies for confusing the matters.

Oops sorry ignore me.
I posted on here a while back looking for some feedback on the megadap adapter. And didn't get any replies (probably because no one uses it)
since you mentioned sigma 14-24mm, I automatically assumed you were adapting the e-mount (Sony mirrorless) version without realising a DSLR version also exists. I just got ahead of myself because I was considering it myself.

Apologies for confusing the matters.
no worries!

The lens mounting issue on the Z8 is likely to effect the used market negatively when people come to sell. As soon as there is uncertainty in a products reliability people get very eddy about buying one from the affected batch. I can think of a number of cases all the way back the the Sony TRV55 and Olympus OM4. Worth considering before dropping £4k on one.

On another note why is E-Infinity so expensive? The saving in grey comes largely from not paying vat and import duty. £3600 is less that 20% off £4k. It seems not only are they tempting people into criminality they are also getting greedy margin wise! I would think quite a few buyers would be vat registered pros so grey may well not be the way to go.

The lens mounting issue on the Z8 is likely to effect the used market negatively when people come to sell. As soon as there is uncertainty in a products reliability people get very eddy about buying one from the affected batch. I can think of a number of cases all the way back the the Sony TRV55 and Olympus OM4. Worth considering before dropping £4k on one.

On another note why is E-Infinity so expensive? The saving in grey comes largely from not paying vat and import duty. £3600 is less that 20% off £4k. It seems not only are they tempting people into criminality they are also getting greedy margin wise! I would think quite a few buyers would be vat registered pros so grey may well not be the way to go.
As long as proof of recalled and fixed, I wouldn't expect it to affect second hand sales. It isn't affecting new sales.
As for E-infin, sales will drive pricing. While they're shifting them in numbers, they'll keep the price as close to rrp as possible. During the first year of the Z9, the price went up and not down due to demand and availability.

It's a new body and their price is cheaper than UK price. So they are just maximising their profits by target early buyers and trying to keep it just cheap enough that it's still tempting to buy grey than buying in the UK.

They eventually go down in price over time especially after the initial craze has passed on.

In some cases bodies/lenses are available for grey importing a good few weeks to a couple months before they were available widely/easily in the UK. I don't know if that's the case with the Z8 or not. But they fully try capitalise on that also.

I have a second Z9 body on its way to me - hence I need to buy a second battery.
Although I bought one for my first Z9 body I can't bring myself to pay the £179 for the Nikon battery.
I did have a Wasabi battery for that first body.
Looking for recommendations for 3rd party batteries please - anybody using anything that they would be happy to recommend?
Hahnel do an equivalent which is very tempting (recognised and reputable company...).
Please no comments about expensive camera, cheap battery. My choice and I have used third party batteries without issue in every camera body I have owned.

Recommendations please. Ta! :)
Just to round this out.
I have bought a Hahnel equivalent. About 2/3 of the Nikon cost at £115.
Rated slightly higher at 3500mAh.
The low price options all seem to have very varied reviews.

For anyone who hasn't seen it already, there's a long thread on the Facebook Z8 group outlining an issue with defective lug points on the camera. Two cases mentioned in the thread.

(The link will likely only work if you're already in the group)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nikonz8camera/permalink/922146692220837/
I haven't used the lugs since I purchased a black rapid many years ago, but certainly a worry about build quality if it's widespread. Peak design users I'm sure are worried.

Amazon Prime have a one day deal on CF Express type b Delkin Black 325gb at £338.

Wex etc £469.

I agree. Delkin Power G4 a better bet if you don't do much video. (Mifsuds have them).

I agree. Delkin Power G4 a better bet if you don't do much video. (Mifsuds have them).
The G4 is good for 8K video in both speed and temp... the original Delkin Power 128GB is as well, but small (the larger original Power cards are not). But unless you are recording 8k video you are mostly wasting money.

Last edited:
Back