Nikon Z* mirrorless

Ordered Z8 for the wife from Panamoz on Saturday, arrived today.

Also just ordered the 28-400 too. Will be perfect as a do everything lens.

Is your wife a photographer?

I've never used zooms, so wanted to ask you guys, as I see you all mentioning that f8 at far end of that new lens would be an issue.
I'm not interested in that new zoom, but contemplating some other zoom options and was wondering - most of those cheaper ones with 300-400mm end, are about f6.3.
Is this already an issue at the end? For wildlife, like squarels, birds etc - would f6.3 be a big downer at 300-400mm end? Is it hard to take good quality, sharp images for those subjects at far end of those zooms at f6.3? I'm talking outdoors, UK's s***ty weather conditions for example ;)
Well many have been using those 150-600 and 100-400 f6.3 for a decade and gotten good results. Sure, the primes are better as you would expect but a lot pricier apart from ones like the 500pf.

Most will benefit from stopping down a bit and don't expect super corners from any of them - its a design compromise. I mainly use these on a D500 so same pixel density as a Z7/8/9 etc but you lose the grot in the corners anyway. You still have bags of dynamic range at highish isos like 3200+ on full frame and you can always use a bit of AI noise reduction.

I am not picky so I use these wide open and the only long zoom I have that definitely needs stopping down ( for centre frame ) is a pan 100-300/5.6 which I use at f7.1 max.

Where di you order the 28-400mm from?
That won't be available for a while yet, the testers on YouTube only have preproduction ones, so I'm guessing it will be preorder at the moment.

Tamron 28-75 G2 coming too mid April, just been announced, it’s a cracking lens on FE so a very welcome addition to Z mount.
Wondering if they’ll release the updated 70-180 G2 in Z mount. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Anyone using the Nikon Z 70-200mm f2.8 lens with a Z8? if so, what's your thoughts on the combo in real life use. I have recently bought the 70-180mm f2.8 and wide open at the wide end it's a tad soft until stopping down to f5.6, and through to about 105mm. From there it's tack sharp up to the long end @ 180mm. I have the 1.4tc which I was hoping to use with it and they don't mix very well for me.

I dont really see why Nikon released the 70-180 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 in Z mount apart from the weight difference and the VR in the 70-200.
For me VR is an ambiguous benefit as it really only works when I should be using the camera on the tripod!
I dont anticipate buying either in the near future as my Z9, Z7 and Zf perform brilliantly with the 14-30, 24-120 and 100-400 Z lenses but if I did then the 70-180 is the winner.

Anyone using the Nikon Z 70-200mm f2.8 lens with a Z8? if so, what's your thoughts on the combo in real life use. I have recently bought the 70-180mm f2.8 and wide open at the wide end it's a tad soft until stopping down to f5.6, and through to about 105mm. From there it's tack sharp up to the long end @ 180mm. I have the 1.4tc which I was hoping to use with it and they don't mix very well for me.
I use the Z8 and Nikon Z 70-200mm S. I find they're a fantastic combination with no drawbacks that I've encountered. With the 1.4tc it's still a great performer, I've heard it's probably the best lens for use with the 2.0tc.

I dont really see why Nikon released the 70-180 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 in Z mount apart from the weight difference and the VR in the 70-200.
For me VR is an ambiguous benefit as it really only works when I should be using the camera on the tripod!
I dont anticipate buying either in the near future as my Z9, Z7 and Zf perform brilliantly with the 14-30, 24-120 and 100-400 Z lenses but if I did then the 70-180 is the winner.

For me, size was the biggest factor, and saving a third of the price didn’t hurt either. And for Nikon, someone else has already done all the design work!

I’m a big fan of the 70-180!

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpeg
    IMG_0428.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 24
Well I've not been in this thread for a while :)

Now I'm more than fedup with Sony (the A1 mainly) I'm looking to switch back to Nikon, which I didn't want to move from in the first place but they didn't have a viable mirrorless at the time (I loved the D850).

It's going to be a couple of months or so before I do probably owing a few planned trips soon but I need to start planning. I may even pick one up with a kit lens to run alongside my current system to try first before commiting to the full change.

I'll be looking at 2 cameras the Z8 and Z9, question is which to get first. I was thinking the Z8 because of size. Last time I looked they were very similar but I know there's been firmware updates. I currently do mainly Wildlife and Landscape.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

For me, size was the biggest factor, and saving a third of the price didn’t hurt either. And for Nikon, someone else has already done all the design work!

I’m a big fan of the 70-180!
Wow I didnt think there would be such a significant difference in size.
The 70-180 wins for me but others will need the VR and slightly longer reach of the 70-200.

It's a nothing shot, but how lovely are these Nikon colours..
Zf, 40mm kit lens. f5.6

The Dog walk-3 by Trevor, on Flickr
That's a nice shot. The colours are the main reason I returned to the Nikon fold. Not only are they the most realistic (for landscapes) but the gradation of shades is smoother.

That's a nice shot. The colours are the main reason I returned to the Nikon fold. Not only are they the most realistic (for landscapes) but the gradation of shades is smoother.
Thanks Stephen. Appreciate it.

Now I'm more than fedup with Sony (the A1 mainly) I'm looking to switch back to Nikon, which I didn't want to move from in the first place but they didn't have a viable mirrorless at the time (I loved the D850).

It's going to be a couple of months or so before I do probably owing a few planned trips soon but I need to start planning. I may even pick one up with a kit lens to run alongside my current system to try first before commiting to the full change.

I'll be looking at 2 cameras the Z8 and Z9, question is which to get first. I was thinking the Z8 because of size. Last time I looked they were very similar but I know there's been firmware updates. I currently do mainly Wildlife and Landscape.

I dont have the Z8 but have a Z9, Z7 and Zf.
For me the Z7 gives me all the MP that I want but it is a bit slow with the AF compared to Zf and Z9.
If the Z8 had GPS then it would be best for me but I do love the surety of AF in the Z9 and Zf.

The Zf is a brilliant everyday camera and I love the ergonomics but wish there was a Zfs (45MP). If Nikon did this I would get rid of my Z9.
I do wish that GPS was in the Z8 but I do have a GPS attachment for the 10 pin socket.

There is a steady rumour of a Z6iii but if that happens I would expect a Z7iii as well. This would be an alternative to the Z8 and is a smaller size, and would result in me trading in my Z9.

Hi, where do you buy your NIKON EN-EL15c batteries?
Keep checking the net but prices vary quite a lot and I notice a lot of dealers offer them at below £60 but then add on P&P but others offer them at around the £60 mark with free P&P. so makes the below offer price more expensive (zip me up at the back)
There are some on Ebay but never sure if genuine or not, is there a way to tell please?
Thank you, Russ.

Hi, where do you buy your NIKON EN-EL15c batteries?
Keep checking the net but prices vary quite a lot and I notice a lot of dealers offer them at below £60 but then add on P&P but others offer them at around the £60 mark with free P&P. so makes the below offer price more expensive (zip me up at the back)
There are some on Ebay but never sure if genuine or not, is there a way to tell please?
Thank you, Russ.
Be aware that Nikon are increasingly blocking 3rd party batteries. For instance, I have a Smallrig battery which worked fine on the Z5 but is barred from my Zf. So I now only use genuine Nikon batteries which I source from the Nikon store.

Be aware that Nikon are increasingly blocking 3rd party batteries. For instance, I have a Smallrig battery which worked fine on the Z5 but is barred from my Zf. So I now only use genuine Nikon batteries which I source from the Nikon store.
Thank you, it is only genuine batteries I am looking for, have three but would like another :)

I have Smallrig batteries with built-in USB-C connectors that work in my Zf and Z7.

Reactions: TG.
I purchased a couple of Duracells, buy one get one half price

Hi, looked at the link and someone who purchased gave feedback as "I purchased this product as it was listed as a Nikon EN-EL15c equivalent. However the camera I intended it for (a Z8) does not recognize it as a battery. "

Hi, looked at the link and someone who purchased gave feedback as "I purchased this product as it was listed as a Nikon EN-EL15c equivalent. However the camera I intended it for (a Z8) does not recognize it as a battery. "
Although I used 3rd party batteries in all my previous systems, with Nikon I’ve decided it’s not worth the risk of them putting an instruction in some firmware update to negate those batteries, and it’s not as if genuine Nikon ones are expensive compared with the cost of the camera.

Yes I seen that review, however they work in both my Z6II and Z7II, the Z8 is on the way, so will see if they are any good, if not I will just get a couple of Nikons, as I wouldn't trust any offerings from ebay or Amazon on my Z cameras, the reason I chose the Duracells is because I came about them quite by accident, and knowing they are a good brand name, thought I would give them a go, as they were on offer, and so far no problems with the latest firmware updates on 7II and 6II, but obviously that could change, so I won't be buying any more, and will stick to Nikon.

a little Easter stroll in the Swabian "Alb" which is not to be confused with the Alps which are a good deal higher. Spring has been ridiculously early this year after a record-breaking February and mild March. I've never seen all these orchards in bloom in March before. Z6 + 24-120 or 100-400

DSC_4401.jpgDSC_4405.jpgDSC_4412.jpg

I'm in the same boat as you @Jase I'm coming back after being in camp Canon and Sony. I do miss the Nikon colours and the way photos from the Nikon bodies seem to be more realistic with how they are rendered although this might be a personal opinion. I too left Nikon after I found the AF on the Z6 was holding me back, and the AF capabilities of the R6 were just too tempting for me!! Since then the AF on the A9 has been the best I've had - however the longing to return to Nikon has meant I have my eyes set on a Z9. I intend to use it for weddings, and a gripped body and twin memory slots which are the same has made me desire the z9 more than the z8. Also the longer lasting battery

Last edited:
Back