Nikon Z* mirrorless

Had a visitor to the garden earlier (Wondered what all the commotion was about). Taken though not very clear double glazing I'm afraid.

Nikon Z8 with the 400mm F4.5 and the 1.4X converter attached.

 
Last edited:
Was going to start a new thread, but couldn't find an appropriate place! I saw dust bunnies mentioned here.

Had a location business portrait shoot and on reviewing the images - Z6ii Dust bunnies!

That's the first time I've noticed any in 4 years, but I do recognise that most of my shooting won't be troubled by dust bunnies. My other camera is an Olympus M43 and dust ignores it.
 
Last edited:
Another vist to the Red Deer rut this morning. It does seem to be 1-2 weeks behind where it would normally be at this point. Perhaps the warmer September has delayed the start.


Backlit Stag by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Does anyone else find the Z8 (or mirrorless in general) makes wildlife photography much easier with the auto focus? With DSLR's I'd often get a few out of focus photos or not nail the focus perfectly, but the Z8 in auto and animal AF seems to nail focus nearly every time. Coupled with the ridiculously low shutter speeds you can achieve with the 400 f4.5 I don't get photos ruined by lens hand holding shake. I've also noticed my sensor seems to be much cleaner too. I guess not having a mirror flapping around inside moving dust (or spraying oil spots on the sensor) does help.
 
Last edited:
With the winter drawing in fast , the colder weather will eliminate the heat haze effect hopefully .. so I should be making more use of the 1.4 t.c on the 180-600 already been using it hand held a few times for evening shoots ..
But I have the crazy urge to get the 2X tc to compliment it , yes I realise it’s gonna be at F13 but I have a sturdy gitzo tripod and siriu monopod if needed .. anyone else on here used that combo and if so what’s your thoughts , 1200 mm reach sounds so useful ??
 
With the winter drawing in fast , the colder weather will eliminate the heat haze effect hopefully .. so I should be making more use of the 1.4 t.c on the 180-600 already been using it hand held a few times for evening shoots ..
But I have the crazy urge to get the 2X tc to compliment it , yes I realise it’s gonna be at F13 but I have a sturdy gitzo tripod and siriu monopod if needed .. anyone else on here used that combo and if so what’s your thoughts , 1200 mm reach sounds so useful ??
I think it's a bit "Swings & Roundabouts" particulaly with a 2X TC verses cropping...with the TC you get to keep all of your pixels but you lose light and arguably a bit of quallity (Any more than cropping?) I would imagine locking on to a bird in flight with a 1200mm would be "Challenging"!
 
yep fully aware of all the cons . just been looking at the viltrox version can get direct from viltrox for £216 bnib. might give it a go after my hols
 
I've the Nikon 2.0TC Z and have used it with the 180-600mm.
For me focus acquisition had a notable hit, loss of image quality and increase in chromatic aberration meant it probably wasn't a great purchase to use with the 180-600mm.
I think to get the best out of it, you need to be using it with a fast lens to begin with, anything beyond a f4 lens and it will be greatly reducing the output of the lens, in focus speed and image quality.
 
Another vist to the Red Deer rut this morning. It does seem to be 1-2 weeks behind where it would normally be at this point. Perhaps the warmer September has delayed the start.


Backlit Stag by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Does anyone else find the Z8 (or mirrorless in general) makes wildlife photography much easier with the auto focus? With DSLR's I'd often get a few out of focus photos or not nail the focus perfectly, but the Z8 in auto and animal AF seems to nail focus nearly every time. Coupled with the ridiculously low shutter speeds you can achieve with the 400 f4.5 I don't get photos ruined by lens hand holding shake. I've also noticed my sensor seems to be much cleaner too. I guess not having a mirror flapping around inside moving dust (or spraying oil spots on the sensor) does help.
Yes for sure, the Z8 with 400 4.5 combo is so underrated, fantastic quality, lower shutter speeds as you say still come out great.
 
Popped to RSPB Leighton Moss recently to see the Bearded Reedlings. Fabulous little birds.

Z9 and Z 600mm F4 TC VR S - on monopod with Speedigimbal

1.
i-sfrLLHH-X3.jpg


2.
i-bxWxCjK-X2.jpg


3.
i-LVbHhzc-X2.jpg


4.
i-kf9vGmf-X2.jpg


5.
i-kVBFF4z-X3.jpg
 
Popped to RSPB Leighton Moss recently to see the Bearded Reedlings. Fabulous little birds.

Z9 and Z 600mm F4 TC VR S - on monopod with Speedigimbal

1.
i-sfrLLHH-X3.jpg


2.
i-bxWxCjK-X2.jpg


3.
i-LVbHhzc-X2.jpg


4.
i-kf9vGmf-X2.jpg


5.
i-kVBFF4z-X3.jpg
Wow, one of my bucket list birds. Beautiful images.
 
Superb kite series
 
  • Like
Reactions: mav
Some short eared owl photos from a few weeks back
 

Attachments

  • DSC_3560-2-topaz-upscale-1.5x-sharpen.jpeg
    DSC_3560-2-topaz-upscale-1.5x-sharpen.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_3820-topaz-upscale-1.7x-denoise-sharpen.jpeg
    DSC_3820-topaz-upscale-1.7x-denoise-sharpen.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_2915-topaz-upscale-1.5x-sharpen.jpeg
    DSC_2915-topaz-upscale-1.5x-sharpen.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top