Nikon Z* mirrorless

What I find funny is people complain Nikon don't do FW updates, but then when they do the updates aren't good enough. Literally I'm tempted to leave every Nikon Z facebook group I'm in. Everyone saying the camera is perfect and it's the photographer at fault if they say the AF fails them, but on the other hand moaning about FW updates.

Don't you just love the internet and social media :LOL:

Cheers,

Simon.

Lots of info on youtube along with the manual, have bought books in the past but hardly looked at them TBH.

It's not just a Nikon thing, I see the same on Fuji forums that I just pop into here and there. These FW updates may not look very special on paper but there's almost always background tweaks that they don't list and performance is almost always improved after [the odd case where there's a recall on FW updates aside]

It's not just a Nikon thing, I see the same on Fuji forums that I just pop into here and there. These FW updates may not look very special on paper but there's almost always background tweaks that they don't list and performance is almost always improved after [the odd case where there's a recall on FW updates aside]

Well v2.01 improved AF, even though it wasn't in the list of things for the update. I've not downloaded 2.10 yet but will do to keep up to date

Well v2.01 improved AF, even though it wasn't in the list of things for the update. I've not downloaded 2.10 yet but will do to keep up to date

I do same with any camera I own, even if the update is a one liner with nothing added for me specifically, I'll keep up to date. Like I said, there's always some form of unspecified improvement

Anyone purchase any tutorial books for their z camera.
I got David Busch's guide early on. Good as a doorstop. Confusing, and a couple of the points are simply incorrect. OTOH a few of his tips are useful - if you come across them. the indexing is rubbish.

I long for the day when I’m so good that a firmware update is the only possible improvement on my keeper rate :exit:

I long for the day when I’m so good that a firmware update is the only possible improvement on my keeper rate :exit:

You can always choose not to update, or just use old cheap dslr, as ML cameras are pretty much like a bunch of FW updates slapped together :D

I got David Busch's guide early on. Good as a doorstop. Confusing, and a couple of the points are simply incorrect. OTOH a few of his tips are useful - if you come across them. the indexing is rubbish.

I also bought his book. It went straight back. I pick up most of my knowledge from cherry picking specifics on Youtube etc. I did however download Douglas Klostermanns "Nikon Z7/Z6 Experience" which is actually very good especially when compared to Buschs book. Being an ebook, there have been free updates as necessary when firmware has been updated.

Last edited:
That’s disappointing - what about CFExpress cards ?
Yeah I was thinking the same. But maybe there is a delay to this because of the Apple vs RED patent dispute with Prores Raw. I would think Raw and CFE would come along together. Been ruled now so probably on the way soon if that was the reason for the delay.

What I find funny is people complain Nikon don't do FW updates, but then when they do the updates aren't good enough. Literally I'm tempted to leave every Nikon Z facebook group I'm in. Everyone saying the camera is perfect and it's the photographer at fault if they say the AF fails them, but on the other hand moaning about FW updates.

I thought the consensus was Nikon doesn’t perform updates to improve features/usability and only fix bugs.

I don’t think there’s anything in the update what people have been requesting which is the reason for the moaning, along with no sign of the Raw Video and CFExpress.

I haven’t seen anyone mentioning/moaning about the fixes made in this firmware. They’re not common things which people are reporting, being affected by or wanting. Main ones being revising the AF area modes/tracking implementation. Green Focus confirmation in AF-C. Some settings being saved/not being saved in User modes or reset on power off. Highlight warning, etc. They can’t please everyone at once. As long as they keep updating/improving it’s not a problem. If people didn’t moan though, maybe Nikon wouldn’t think they had anything to fix.

Might update mine later a report back if anything good

I think they done these minor updates to fix issues before release improvements updates

Most people who moan have never worked in a software development team on a professional level. You have limited resources to work on either new features, or customer defects. These all get prioretised to try and get the most out of the resource following the company roadmap. Many companies release new features all the time without fixing defects, which isn't great for customers having problems.

There is usually a triage flow followed on these things. And it's generally the same regardless of company.

In Nikons case here they have again fixed issues that must have been seen by significant numbers of users to warrant addressing, and probably easy fixes because they could reproduce the problem. So I'm glad they sent out this update, as it's a clear message they are committed to supporting the line. I suspect that CF support and ProRes have been delayed due to three things, availability of production CFe cards to do extensive testing with, ProRes legal issues, and these things all being tied together in a release already so each delay the other. It's also likely these updates will need them to do due diligence on conformance and compliance which takes time.

The fixes they have produced and released are likely easier to push through their test team, and then push out for release quickly, and so it makes sense to get them out now, rather than everyone having to wait for the next major update.

Most people who moan have never worked in a software development team on a professional level. You have limited resources to work on either new features, or customer defects. These all get prioretised to try and get the most out of the resource following the company roadmap. Many companies release new features all the time without fixing defects, which isn't great for customers having problems.

There is usually a triage flow followed on these things. And it's generally the same regardless of company.

In Nikons case here they have again fixed issues that must have been seen by significant numbers of users to warrant addressing, and probably easy fixes because they could reproduce the problem. So I'm glad they sent out this update, as it's a clear message they are committed to supporting the line. I suspect that CF support and ProRes have been delayed due to three things, availability of production CFe cards to do extensive testing with, ProRes legal issues, and these things all being tied together in a release already so each delay the other. It's also likely these updates will need them to do due diligence on conformance and compliance which takes time.

The fixes they have produced and released are likely easier to push through their test team, and then push out for release quickly, and so it makes sense to get them out now, rather than everyone having to wait for the next major update.

Very well put. I will update mine anyway always do. Am not complaining it just good to see Nikon working on updates.

Someone said one of the past update wasn’t a af speed update but it did make a difference/

Very well put. I will update mine anyway always do. Am not complaining it just good to see Nikon working on updates.

Someone said one of the past update wasn’t a af speed update but it did make a difference/

Well I work as part of one of those prioretised teams, as a systems engineer and product owner. We are not the same size as Nikon, with only around 16k users of our system, but the same process applies and priorities are set based on a number of criteria.

Oh and it was me that said v2.01 made an AF difference. Wasn't huge but it did seem to improve the lock on speed slightly and I did get an increase in shots in focus.

TBH I don’t think this is a firmware update as such, rather a big fix which I’m pleased to see Nikon do. I think (although just a guess) that there’s so much disappointment surrounding this is that there’s been so much hype about a major firmware/hardware update and people are assuming this is it, but I don’t think this is and think it’s an added extra. The fact there’s no video raw would back up my theory.

Nikon have always released bug fixes, it’s major updates they haven’t. However, yes we have already had one and IF we get another as predicted it could be that Nikon are employing a new approach to the Z line. It would be a clever move if they did as this is what seems to keep Fuji and Olympus users very happy and often loyal.

Makes me wonder if the rumoured ‘proper’ update has been pushed back.
Disappointing as I was hoping for improvements to AF-C and eye AF.

Well I have updated mine will see what happens later

Makes me wonder if the rumoured ‘proper’ update has been pushed back.
Disappointing as I was hoping for improvements to AF-C and eye AF.
Tbh I don’t ‘expect’ anything so anything they do offer is a bonus to me. I bought the camera knowing the flaws fully expecting that I’d have to buy a gen 2 to give me the camera I truly want. I don’t think it’s fair to expect them to totally transform an existing camera, after all you don’t buy a Ford Focus hoping that they’ll update it to give you the performance of a Ferrari ;)

IF they update it with massive improvements that’s a huge bonus in my eyes (y)

Tbh I don’t ‘expect’ anything so anything they do offer is a bonus to me. I bought the camera knowing the flaws fully expecting that I’d have to buy a gen 2 to give me the camera I truly want. I don’t think it’s fair to expect them to totally transform an existing camera, after all you don’t buy a Ford Focus hoping that they’ll update it to give you the performance of a Ferrari ;)

IF they update it with massive improvements that’s a huge bonus in my eyes (y)

Know what your saying regarding this

But if Sony and Fuji can why cant nikon?

Just a few from me mostly objects but the one of the Mrs was testing the AF-C she was walking toward me at a speed most of them came out well ok eye might not be in focus but the whole idea is getting the images. The one of the MRS only thing was done is Crop a bit of the right hand side off nothing else so though the lens and the camera did well.

DSC_0436.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0446.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

Know what your saying regarding this

But if Sony and Fuji can why cant nikon?
No reason they can’t, just not renowned for it that’s all. Like I said though they might change their strategy with mirrorless. I’m getting the impression that it’s easier to make AF improvements via firmware for mirrorless over DSLR, but that’s just a musing rather than fact.
Just a few from me mostly objects but the one of the Mrs was testing the AF-C she was walking toward me at a speed most of them came out well ok eye might not be in focus but the whole idea is getting the images. The one of the MRS only thing was done is Crop a bit of the right hand side off nothing else so though the lens and the camera did well.

DSC_0436.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0446.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg
Difficult for me to tell on the phone but I’d hope that the camera would nail every shot of someone walking towards you, even at a fast pace. Tbh with that DOF the whole head should likely be in focus. At 1:1 the eyes won’t look as tack sharp as a close up portrait obviously ;)

I keep reading people say that Nikon aren't renowned for doing feature updates, but no manufacturer has until they moved to mirrorless.

I keep reading people say that Nikon aren't renowned for doing feature updates, but no manufacturer has until they moved to mirrorless.
Hence the statement in my last post (y). Imo Olympus lead the way in terms of updates, especially offering features from their high end cameras to trickle down to the so called entry level stuff and older gen cameras. It will be interesting to see if Nikon follow a similar pattern.
TBH Olympus offer a few innovative things that I’m surprised no one else has jumped on such as live composite and live ND grads. I guess Olympus will always have better IBIS as I guess it’s easier to stabilise a smaller sensor.

That is very true however the big mirrorless players like Fuji, Olympus and Sony do not have old DSLR product line to protect (sales), so they have gone forwards with firmware upgrades to extract every last bit out of them.
If Nikon did the same with the Z series they could end up affecting their DSLR sales .... it a hard situation to be in.

No reason they can’t, just not renowned for it that’s all. Like I said though they might change their strategy with mirrorless. I’m getting the impression that it’s easier to make AF improvements via firmware for mirrorless over DSLR, but that’s just a musing rather than fact.

Difficult for me to tell on the phone but I’d hope that the camera would nail every shot of someone walking towards you, even at a fast pace. Tbh with that DOF the whole head should likely be in focus. At 1:1 the eyes won’t look as tack sharp as a close up portrait obviously ;)

Are you thinking the image not as clear as it should be ??

Yup I’d oly did a FF camera omg that would kick off

That is very true however the big mirrorless players like Fuji, Olympus and Sony do not have old DSLR product line to protect (sales), so they have gone forwards with firmware upgrades to extract every last bit out of them.
If Nikon did the same with the Z series they could end up affecting their DSLR sales .... it a hard situation to be in.

I don't think it's so much that they are protecting the DSLR product line, they are maintaining support, and releasing new DSLR's to support their massive current user base. Nikon would certainly not be going for long if they dumped their entire F-mount customer base and told them they are not getting anything new and just doing Z mount kit. That would be a complete disaster for the company.

I’m not so sure about that tbh, DSLRs are still going strong despite the stories about it being dead. I’ve not heard any grumbling that DSLRs don’t have such things as eye AF, I think people know there’s differences and willing to accept that.
Are you thinking the image not as clear as it should be ??

Yup I’d oly did a FF camera omg that would kick off
No, can’t tell one way or another on the phone. Just saying if the head/face is sharp I’d expect the eyes to be too (y)
Not so sure about Olly FF, it’s not working out too well for Panny from what I can tell.

I’m not so sure about that tbh, DSLRs are still going strong despite the stories about it being dead. I’ve not heard any grumbling that DSLRs don’t have such things as eye AF, I think people know there’s differences and willing to accept that.
No, can’t tell one way or another on the phone. Just saying if the head/face is sharp I’d expect the eyes to be too (y)
Not so sure about Olly FF, it’s not working out too well for Panny from what I can tell.

The head isn’t as it seems I’ve miss focus and got upper scarf. Tbh I was testing different things learning the camera

Nikon is finished God has spoken on you tube

Did this to avoid giving him a click

Capturel.JPG

I currently see the Z6, 24-70 and FTZ is at £1,799 at Grays of Westminter. I'll keep an eye out for any Black Friday deals that might beat that.

Honestly do people really think Nikon is going to go under???

I currently see the Z6, 24-70 and FTZ is at £1,799 at Grays of Westminter. I'll keep an eye out for any Black Friday deals that might beat that.

I could be wrong but I don't think it'll be cheaper on Black Friday. But the Grays price is into the new year I think so may as well wait a day or two :)

Back