Nikon Z* mirrorless

TBH the reason I went for the Z7 (as I did the D850) is that I crop a lot, and do use the camera in DX mode a bit too, otherwise I'd have gone for the Z6.

TBH the reason I went for the Z7 (as I did the D850) is that I crop a lot, and do use the camera in DX mode a bit too, otherwise I'd have gone for the Z6.

Forgive my ignorance, but what’s the difference between cropping and taking in DX format?

The main difference is the sensor, the Z7 is 45.7mp with no AA filter vs 24mp with AA filter for the Z6. As a result the Z7 will give you sharper images with more detail, but in the real world you're unlikely to see a difference. Where the extra MP helps is if you want to crop heavily, and as such the Z7 (and D850) can be thought of as a FF and APS-C (DX) crop camera all in one. In DX mode you still get 19.5mp, more than enough for most applications. Also, the Z7 has a base ISO 64 which is useful for certain applications.

The downside to the extra MP is that noise handling isn't as good, and the files are bigger. This results in lower fps, smaller buffer (in theory) and makes your computer work harder when processing.

For most people the Z6 will be the camera to go for, it's cheaper and offers better/more rounded performance.

This gives an idea of how much better the Z6 is in high ISO low light, from 12800 the Z6 does look noticeably better to my eyes. However, I got perfectly useable images at 12800 on my D850, which is comparable to the Z7, and this is plenty for me. The Z7 actually looks a smidge better than the D850 to my eyes actually.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im....00021670278379749475&y=-0.005934805533155573

I tried out the Z7 for a couple of hours before getting the 6. The only real difference I could see in IQ was at high ISO where the Z6 was better. I could only see the resolution being a factor if printing really large. Subjectively the 7 didn't seem any sharper but perhaps then I need a super hires screen

Any thoughts on the 14-30 yet ?

Plus one on this? Pretty sure I want this lens but it's been out of stock for Panamoz for ages now,
:-(
*sulking without new toy*

Anyhoo... very important update!
Having sent my Z6 off to Nikon over 4 weeks ago for them to look at the wear on the body, I've heard absolutely sweet FA from them. What great service! I may bring myself to ring/email them tomorrow. Pretty poor show.

@snerkler

AF-ON

Custom settings menu
a7 & g3
Thanks. I did actually find it and was just about to post it but you beat me to it ;) Thanks though.
Only got one Leica, and never had a Hassy. ;-(
Never had either but always fancied a Leica.
Forgive my ignorance, but what’s the difference between cropping and taking in DX format?
Nothing, apart from smaller file size from the get go. If I’m taking something where I don’t have enough reach it just makes sense to me to shoot in DX and save on file size.
I tried out the Z7 for a couple of hours before getting the 6. The only real difference I could see in IQ was at high ISO where the Z6 was better. I could only see the resolution being a factor if printing really large. Subjectively the 7 didn't seem any sharper but perhaps then I need a super hires screen
You rarely see the difference tbh. I’ve only ever seen a difference in sharpness from the aa filter when reading reviews and someone’s shown pixel level crops, but in the real world I don’t think you see it.

I don’t know why or what it was but I sometimes found the D850 had something that little bit more special over the D750, most noticeable in landscapes, but not every time.

I expect the Z6 and Z7 will exhibit similar behaviour, and maybe more so as I expect the S lenses to be able to resolve better than the AF-S lenses. But this isn’t why I bought the Z7, the D750 images were more than good enough. It’s all about the cropping for me.

Couple of queries re the Z's. I've been setting up user settings but for some reason the drive mode (single shot, continuous high etc) doesn't save, is this the same for everyone else?

With the D750 and D850 you could choose to have a 'level' in the viewfinder that looked similar to the meter bar to show left and right tilt but I can't find this for the Z7, is it an option? It would be handy to view both a level and the histogram at the same time rather than either the histogram or the virtual horizon.

Lastly is there an option to show 'blinkies' for blown highlights/crushed blacks during shooting and not just on playback?

Couple of queries re the Z's. I've been setting up user settings but for some reason the drive mode (single shot, continuous high etc) doesn't save, is this the same for everyone else?

With the D750 and D850 you could choose to have a 'level' in the viewfinder that looked similar to the meter bar to show left and right tilt but I can't find this for the Z7, is it an option? It would be handy to view both a level and the histogram at the same time rather than either the histogram or the virtual horizon.

Lastly is there an option to show 'blinkies' for blown highlights/crushed blacks during shooting and not just on playback?
1) dunno, don't use motor drive

2) yes, there's a spirit level display (it's a bit too intrusive) for both horizontal and vertical, but you can't display iy at the same time as the histogram

3) not that Im aware of.

1) dunno, don't use motor drive

2) yes, there's a spirit level display (it's a bit too intrusive) for both horizontal and vertical, but you can't display iy at the same time as the histogram

3) not that Im aware of.
Thanks. with regards to 2 (spirit level) is that the virtual horizon I was referring to that you can toggle but not have with the histogram such as this?
VH.jpg

What I would like is this level (taken from the D750 manual) in the EVF which you could have alongside the histogram
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 09.00.44.png

Thanks. with regards to 2 (spirit level) is that the virtual horizon I was referring to that you can toggle but not have with the histogram such as this?
View attachment 244551

What I would like is this level (taken from the D750 manual) in the EVF which you could have alongside the histogram
View attachment 244552
Yes, that's the virtual horizon I was referring to. Nothing as complex as your diagram!

Yes, that's the virtual horizon I was referring to. Nothing as complex as your diagram!
The diagram makes it look more complex that it is, in reality it’s just a series of dashes that show left and right tilt lol.

No. 3 seems like something that could/should be available - I hope it's added in firmware at some stage
It is useful on the olympus tbh. One thing I like about the Olly is that you can actually choose what you want to see on the display, ie you can customise it rather than just cycling through preset displays.

Still trying to get used to the Z7, working out which settings I want on each Fn button etc but I think I'm going to be very happy with it. IQ looks as good as the D850, feature set is great and thing the ergonomics are great. I've not tried AF-C for anything moving yet but I'm not sure how they are going to improve the AF on it with the update, everything I've tried so far is as snappy as anything else I've used. Maybe it's AF tracking that's getting an improvement as apparently that's not great.

I heard that Eye AF was one of the thing being implemented, which looks like a pretty cool feature. With a couple of kids who're always at warp factor 3 I'll appreciate that if it works as well as the Sony implementation appears to.

Glad it's looking good - always a big thing buying something like this largely sight unseen, and I find it's only until you really use it in anger at home that you find out whether you'll be happy or not

I heard that Eye AF was one of the thing being implemented, which looks like a pretty cool feature. With a couple of kids who're always at warp factor 3 I'll appreciate that if it works as well as the Sony implementation appears to.

Glad it's looking good - always a big thing buying something like this largely sight unseen, and I find it's only until you really use it in anger at home that you find out whether you'll be happy or not
Eye-AF definitely part of the firmware, but they also say AF performance will be improved, I'm just not sure how (y)

I did try the Z7 at launch so it wasn't completely unseen, however it's not until you use something in 'everyday life' that you know whether it's right for you or not.

Some from my first trip with the Z6, all I've got round to editing. Made a rookie mistake when taking the Durdle Door shots. I left IBIS on, having only ever disabled VR on the lens, forgot to do it in the menu. Doesn't seem to have caused anything to detrimental to the images though.

Also e-infinity have said to return the battery, and get refund for postage.

Some from my first trip with the Z6, all I've got round to editing. Made a rookie mistake when taking the Durdle Door shots. I left IBIS on, having only ever disabled VR on the lens, forgot to do it in the menu. Doesn't seem to have caused anything to detrimental to the images though.

Both superb. Hard to pick a favourite.

Lovely pictures. I think* disabling VR on the lens automatically disables it in the camera. I've got VR as part of my I-menu and have noticed that option greyed out if I flip the switch on the lens.

It is useful on the olympus tbh. One thing I like about the Olly is that you can actually choose what you want to see on the display, ie you can customise it rather than just cycling through preset displays.

Still trying to get used to the Z7, working out which settings I want on each Fn button etc but I think I'm going to be very happy with it. IQ looks as good as the D850, feature set is great and thing the ergonomics are great. I've not tried AF-C for anything moving yet but I'm not sure how they are going to improve the AF on it with the update, everything I've tried so far is as snappy as anything else I've used. Maybe it's AF tracking that's getting an improvement as apparently that's not great.

Glad you are happy with it! That's the one thing I hope they change with a firmware upgrade; not being able to switch off all displays or configure the display a bit more is a pain. Other than that I'm like you though - very happy.

Both superb. Hard to pick a favourite.

Thanks. I think the Milky Way is mine, only because it was the reason I drove down from Coventry for it.

Lovely pictures. I think* disabling VR on the lens automatically disables it in the camera. I've got VR as part of my I-menu and have noticed that option greyed out if I flip the switch on the lens.

Thanks. I know but I was using the 24-70/4 S with no VR switch, switched it to manual focus but forgot about the VR. I don’t know how I forgot to do it as I was setting up my i menu the day before.

That first shot is something special. Care to share the exposure details please?

Thanks. I think the Milky Way is mine, only because it was the reason I drove down from Coventry for it.

Thanks. I know but I was using the 24-70/4 S with no VR switch, switched it to manual focus but forgot about the VR. I don’t know how I forgot to do it as I was setting up my i menu the day before.
I've often forgot to turn of IBIS or VR on different cameras/lenses and never had an issue tbh. I know you're supposed to turn it off, and I should remember, but I think in most situations you'll get away with it.

Cracking pic btw (y)

So just out of curiosity what is that noise when you go from live shooting to playback or menus? It reminds of the noise of my Nikon DSLRs when you went into live view and you could hear the mirror lift and shutter open, but obviously the Z's don't have a mirror. I can only assume it's the shutter opening/closing but why does it do this?

That first shot is something special. Care to share the exposure details please?

Its a blend of a star tracked image and a long exposure, taken on the same evening. It’s the first time I’ve done it so not sure what I was doing but pleased with the outcome.

Foreground is approx 180 sec @ ISO 1600
Sky is 8x 60 sec @ ISO 1600 which were stacked with Starry landscape stacker for noise. Then composited with the foreground in PS.

I think I should’ve taken more exposures for the foreground for noise reduction also, but there were 10+ people on the beach that night. A group of about 5 really close to the arch didn’t turn their head torches off all night, which was leaving red and white streaks everywhere on my foregrounds. I managed to salvage one cloning.

I also took some 180 second star tracked images, I haven’t processed them yet but I might be able to pull out more Milky Way detail in them.

I chose a star tracker because it worked out cheaper than buying 1.8 or 2.8 glass and the Z 14-24 isn’t released yet. The tracker cost me £230, which is a lot cheaper than the glass.

Edit: Heres the what the majority of my foregrounds are like. Everyone was there for the same reason, not sure why they didn't consider turning their torches off. I should've set up right in front and done the same.
Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 18.38.28.jpg

Last edited:
So just out of curiosity what is that noise when you go from live shooting to playback or menus? It reminds of the noise of my Nikon DSLRs when you went into live view and you could hear the mirror lift and shutter open, but obviously the Z's don't have a mirror. I can only assume it's the shutter opening/closing but why does it do this?

COuld be aperture 'chatter' - if lenses on this body are set to focus wide open and you are in any auto/semi-auto mode, the aperture will remain wide open until you shoot. Maybe it's that shutting down when you enter the menu? Or is it IBIS switching off? a kind of 'clunk' sound and you feel something maybe moving inside? I know you're used to the em1mkii but I don't think M43 bodies turn it off so abruptly if at all when switching to those modes.

Last edited:
COuld be aperture 'chatter' - if lenses on this body are set to focus wide open and you are in any auto/semi-auto mode, the aperture will remain wide open until you shoot. Maybe it's that shutting down when you enter the menu? Or is it IBIS switching off? a kind of 'clunk' sound and you feel something maybe moving inside? I know you're used to the em1mkii but I don't think M43 bodies turn it off so abruptly if at all when switching to those modes.
Deffo not aperture chatter, could be IBIS but then I’d expect to hear that turning off/on when I release the shutter. It’s only when I go into the menus or photo playback. As I said the sound is very reminiscent of going into liveview/mirror up mode on Nikon DSLRs. I’m convinced it’s the shutter, I just don’t know why o_O

On the subject of IBIS, it appears to be active all the time when using the 70-200mm and not just on shutter half press which isn’t going to help battery life. I can’t see any option to change the behaviour of when IBIS is active like you can on Olly.

Deffo not aperture chatter, could be IBIS but then I’d expect to hear that turning off/on when I release the shutter. It’s only when I go into the menus or photo playback. As I said the sound is very reminiscent of going into liveview/mirror up mode on Nikon DSLRs. I’m convinced it’s the shutter, I just don’t know why o_O

On the subject of IBIS, it appears to be active all the time when using the 70-200mm and not just on shutter half press which isn’t going to help battery life. I can’t see any option to change the behaviour of when IBIS is active like you can on Olly.

I just got the XH1 and it does a definitive 'clunk' when switching the camera off, it doesn't do it any other time, I have IBIS set to only kick in when I half press, no clunk when it's de-activating there. Maybe on the Nikon they have it set up different? Where it's not just 'resting' but completely shutting down when you enter the menu?

I just got the XH1 and it does a definitive 'clunk' when switching the camera off, it doesn't do it any other time, I have IBIS set to only kick in when I half press, no clunk when it's de-activating there. Maybe on the Nikon they have it set up different? Where it's not just 'resting' but completely shutting down when you enter the menu?
Dunno, maybe, I still think it's the shutter though ;) I did read somewhere that the shutter closes when switched off on one of the new mirrorless, but can't remember if it's Nikon or Canon, but it sounded like a good idea as there's less chance of dust getting on the sensor when changing lenses.

Dunno, maybe, I still think it's the shutter though ;) I did read somewhere that the shutter closes when switched off on one of the new mirrorless, but can't remember if it's Nikon or Canon, but it sounded like a good idea as there's less chance of dust getting on the sensor when changing lenses.
Mine doesn’t do it ... what lens is it?

The EOS-R is the only one I know of that closes the shutter when the lens is removed, don't think it does it any other time - apart from when actually shooting of course

Mine doesn’t do it ... what lens is it?
So you don't get a clunk/click if you go from shooting to pressing the menu button or image playback? It's with both 24-70mm f4 and 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, it's not coming from the lens though I don't believe.

So you don't get a clunk/click if you go from shooting to pressing the menu button or image playback? It's with both 24-70mm f4 and 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, it's not coming from the lens though I don't believe.
No. At least I either don’t notice it or it doesn’t do it. I’ll check tomorrow. Thinking about it, some of my Oly OMDs in the olden days did that and Mark Thackara (sp?) said it was the IS locking the sensor.

@snerkler

When I change lenses. Switch on camera, remove the battery. This closes the shutter. Change lens and refit the battery. You’ll get an error which disappears with a shutter press.

Mine chunks when I power the camera on and off, and when I go in to the play back menu.

it's there for me so I wouldn't worry about it. Don't know what it is though :)

Back