Review Nikon's Nightmare Information and Data Sheets!

As I asked before, can you get decent focus manually with the TC on?

AF or manual I get for both the focus confirmation… but not the sharpness!

I thought you were getting worse, some processing will improve those

Even without PP, sharp is sharp. PP though may very well
make it look better but I never use extra sharpening.

The coffee didn't help much… but the rain slowed down.

Do you know anyone that works with voodoo spells?

I have a special Voodoo hammer here, it might help, but it might make the lens less able to focus on its own too.

What is the chart like WITHOUT the Tc attached, just for comparison. Don't move the camera, just stick the chart up, shoot WITH the Tc, then take the Tc off and shoot again without touching anything, other than focus. See what the results are. If they remain soft at the bottom I would think there is a plane shift in the bayonets and the workshop is your only recourse, with BOTH sent in for optica matching.

As I asked before, can you get decent focus manually with the TC on?

I always get focus confirmation with it but the shot stay off!

I always get focus confirmation with it but the shot stay off!

do you use one of those 45 degree ruler targets - if not you can make one

put the target up 10 metres from the camera, take a few shots and post them ........ that will be a good start

(or put 5 or 6 objects in a line at an angle and take a shot of those)

is the lens front or back focusing?

focus confirm doesn't mean a lot - sometime I just stick the target in a tree where I know a bird will be and take a shot of that .. to check the focus

Last edited:

See #2, #3, #4 in post 32!

use the AF focus with Liveview - enlarge it and have a look

if it is "off" use MF with LV - enlarge it on the LCD screen get it share and then use AF and see if it moves

it is either focusing or not AF wise and as Roget said, use MF to see if it is focussing

it should be pretty simple to find out if AF is working or not

Last edited:
use the AF focus with Liveview

I prefer to do all such tunings tethered as it
gives me a much larger screen to work with.

See #2, #3, #4 in post 32!

+10 and -10 look just the same

0 looks soft

have you tried a manual focus ......... is it still soft at 0 - process the images and increase the black

what are your in camera default settings at (D800) ...... are they 0 for sharpness?

Daniel

did a couple of shots this morning

D810 + 600mm f4 + 1,7TC ........ same lens and TC as you

Image straight out of camera - FULL IMAGE - NO CROPPING - NO PROCESSING - Fine Tune set to ZERO - all in camera defaults on standard and all at 0 ................... just converted to 250kb jpegs in LR and reduced in size to 950 longest side ........(originals are 44MB RAWs at 7360 x 4912)

Cloudy, no sun this morning - flat light - dull but OK - could have been just a little better

single cell focusing and spot exposure - focus on eye

Cirl Bunting taken using LiveView

these are what I would expect and can be improved with just slight processing

F8 - 1/1000th sec - 0EV, (I would usually use +0.3 in shots like this)

Good tripod, gimbal, - if I shot at speeds below 1/1000th sec, at my ability level, I would not expect to get a sharpe image with the D810 .. and I am surprised I did so well at 1/1000th sec

ISO 4000

ISO4000_1.jpg

ISO 1800
ISO1800_1.jpg

ISO1600
ISO1600_1.jpg

obviously the set up works, but as I said only effectively at f7.1 or f8 ......... all the better if the light is good

no idea why you are having problems if when manually focussing you do not get a sharpe image - tests against targets are are well and good ...... but actual shots show what the set up can do (and I believe that my lens/TC need fine tuning)

Last edited:
what are your in camera default settings at (D800) ...... are they 0 for sharpness?

The camera default is 0,
each lens has its own AF/FT.

Last edited:
did a couple of shots this morning

What I get at this point is far from that, very far.
So far that none of the taken pictures are usable.
I have a special Voodoo hammer here… If they remain soft at the bottom I would think there is a plane shift in the bayonets
Brilliant!
I will investigate that…

…but if you are right, that would mean something
I have been reluctant to consider so far. I will have
to do some testing of an other nature… just in case.

Daniel - I ask again - have you tried to MANUALLY FOCUS the lens - looking at the image through the viewfinder AND LiveView

In LiveView did you magnify the image on the LCD screen to check the sharpness

Once you had a sharpe image in your viewfinder or LCD - did you a). take a shot and b). then press the shutter in AF mode to see if the image changed

The images above mean nothing to me and I have seen them before - you could have missed the focus, you could have used too low a shutter speed, you could have moved the camera

you need to check if AF is working properly, on THIS lens setup, use MANUAL FOCUS to check that

(presumably AF is working with your other lens)

presumably you are using single cell or small group focusing and that the lens is on M/A or A ........ have you also tried it at FULL and 3m to infinity

what is the switch on the camera set to?

Last edited:
looking at the image through the viewfinder AND LiveView
I am using tethered shooting AND always getting focus confirmation on Manual AND AF.

presumably AF is working with your other lens
Yes.
presumably you are using single cell
Yes, the centre one.
the lens is on M/A or A
Yes, tried both M and AF
have you also tried it at FULL and 3m to infinity
Yes.

This is a test scene:

HR here: http://www.kodiakmedia.at/TP5/TC-17E II/TC170520FFHR.jpg
FF web res:

TC170520FFLE.jpg

The same scene at 100%

100% HR here: http://www.kodiakmedia.at/TP5/TC-17E II/TC170520100HR.jpghttp://www.kodiakmedia.at/TP5/TC-17E II/TC170520100HR.jpg
100% web res:

TC170520100LE.jpg

no idea then Daniel

the lens + TC will focus all the way up to f40 on my D810

As this was my TC i feel i need to comment. I bought the TC from Dale Photographic as a used item and only ever intended to use it on my 70-200mm F2.8 VR. It worked a treat with minimal affect on the AF (was used for motorsport). I can supply pics to prove this if needed.

Unfortunately i don't own any of the more exotic lenses like some peeps do on here so i would've had no idea that there would be any issues with Daniels lens.

I sold the TC honestly and accurately to my knowledge and would like to offer my sincere apologies for the issues Daniel has experienced. (y)

Last edited:
Back