Nissin Di866 - Flashing But Not Caught By Camera?

Name
Tracey
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

One of my Di866s has a broken flash tube and the other is behaving strangely - I noticed during a shoot that the light seemed to be a bit dull and I had to compensate in camera so decided to test it at home.

On testing, no matter what the setting was on the flash or camera was, the result was that even though I could see the camera flash the image was the same as using the camera without the flash!

Is it possible for a flash to lose sync with the camera even on the hot-shoe?

Now have a Canon 580EX2 which works perfectly on the same camera so must be an issue with the Nissin.

Hi All,

One of my Di866s has a broken flash tube and the other is behaving strangely - I noticed during a shoot that the light seemed to be a bit dull and I had to compensate in camera so decided to test it at home.

On testing, no matter what the setting was on the flash or camera was, the result was that even though I could see the camera flash the image was the same as using the camera without the flash!

Is it possible for a flash to lose sync with the camera even on the hot-shoe?

Now have a Canon 580EX2 which works perfectly on the same camera so must be an issue with the Nissin.

Hi Wilko,

What shutter speed were you shooting at and what mode did you have the flash in?

I replied to mrdaviesuk on the iPad App 2 days ago but I can't see it here so will repeat!

The flash was tried on Manual, Auto and eTTL at various settings but not one made a difference, despite the flash going off, to the image. I took a correctly exposed image with my 580EX2 and the replaced it with the Di866 with the same settings and in eTTL and the picture looked like it had been taken without the flash even though I saw it function. As I've tried it with a very slow shutter speed and not registered any flash it must somehow be functioning before the shutter opens. It is within the 2 year Nissin warranty period but I bought it from CameraBox who went bust last year so not sure yet where I stand buit I am talking to Steve at Kenro who is being very helpful.

I replied to mrdaviesuk on the iPad App 2 days ago but I can't see it here so will repeat!

The flash was tried on Manual, Auto and eTTL at various settings but not one made a difference, despite the flash going off, to the image. I took a correctly exposed image with my 580EX2 and the replaced it with the Di866 with the same settings and in eTTL and the picture looked like it had been taken without the flash even though I saw it function. As I've tried it with a very slow shutter speed and not registered any flash it must somehow be functioning before the shutter opens. It is within the 2 year Nissin warranty period but I bought it from CameraBox who went bust last year so not sure yet where I stand buit I am talking to Steve at Kenro who is being very helpful.

Is the Nissin in master mode, but with the main flash disabled? If so, you would see the pre-flash/es go out, that looks just like the main flash, but there would be no main flash following it.

The whole process happens so fast it looks like one flash to the naked eye.

HoppyUK said:
Is the Nissin in master mode, but with the main flash disabled? If so, you would see the pre-flash/es go out, that looks just like the main flash, but there would be no main flash following it.

The whole process happens so fast it looks like one flash to the naked eye.

+1.

Mine occasionally underpowers when I've been playing in the advanced menus.

Go in to the Tools section, select reset and then do a full shut down and reboot, including removing the batteries.

Ok, done the complete reset (although as far as I could tell all the settings were standard anyway) and Manual & AV seem to work but Auto & eTTL still don't work no matter what the setting. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll see what Kenro have to say tomorrow.

Just to update you all, it turns out that it was the PCB in the head that had gone and was not repairable so I have now got one brand new Di866 head - not sure whether to sell or keep (bought a 580EX2 while it was in for repair).

Back