no brainer question

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I apologise in advance but this is a serious question and I honestly dont know the answer..wanted to ask for ages but seems hmm

if you go to the zoo and take pics of animals ..is it still classed as wildlife photography?... Safari park? or bird sanctuary?

Is all animals and birds wildlife or does it have to be non captive?

Hope you follow the question as it's meant to be? :)

Captive animals or birds are not wildlife.

Captive animals or birds are not wildlife.

Where do you draw the line?

Safair parks? theres a big difference betweeen Knowsli and one in africa covering thousands of miles. both are captive I guess just different size?

except the ones in Africa are 'reserves' and the animals are free to leave if they wish ;)

And, AFAIK, rhinos,for example, do not wander this green and pleasant land in the wild.

Though,looking at some of the women in Accy on a Saturday night, I could be convinced otherwise..........:)

And, AFAIK, rhinos,for example, do not wander this green and pleasant land in the wild.

Though,looking at some of the women in Accy on a Saturday night, I could be convinced otherwise..........:)

Your mind is SO on a different tangent to mine Ade, I was just wondering when the last time was a safari park allowed its pack of lions to bring down one of its oryx for lunch :LOL:

Thats the problem I guess.. I wont fly.. I dont even like going in a car if someone else driving.. so am limited..only so many ducks you can photograph ... I did the knowsli park.. got some good pics but nothing better than anyone else could ahve got..

New yrs eve in accy town center ... find a quiet dark doorway and shoot away.. plenty of wildlife :)

I'm with Yvonne.

Unless we are now going to count cats and dogs, or any other pet as wildlife, as they are certainly not human.

Your mind is SO on a different tangent to mine Ade, I was just wondering when the last time was a safari park allowed its pack of lions to bring down one of its oryx for lunch :LOL:

That is because i`m one of those strange things from Mars,whereas you are from Venus...........:D

Thats the problem I guess.. I wont fly.. I dont even like going in a car if someone else driving.. so am limited..only so many ducks you can photograph ...

Plenty of outstanding wildlife within 30 miles of here Tony, it is a matter of going with someone who knows where to look.......(y)

Plenty of outstanding wildlife within 30 miles of here Tony, it is a matter of going with someone who knows where to look.......(y)

Ha! I thought you where keeping your bits secret mate.. prob time to have another look at yer website see whats what :)

ADDYONBIT : Love the shooting section...some good pics there...

Last edited:
Ha! I thought you where keeping your bits secret mate.. prob time to have another look at yer website see whats what :)

ADDYONBIT : Love the shooting section...some good pics there...

Pays the bills this time of year mate..........;)

Guided tours are available if you want,email me if your interested Tony.

I can only hope with some fervour that he IS keeping his bits secret :exit:

Back to Venus :D

My bits are that secret I have forgotten where they are........:D

Traditionally when supplying shots to publishers you were expected to include if it was a captive animal in the caption. Some publishers would only use shots taken in the wild.

Nowadays it seems they don't care as much, one of the winners in the BBC WPOTY competition a few years ago was of a captive animal.

Nowadays it seems they don't care as much, one of the winners in the BBC WPOTY competition a few years ago was of a captive animal.

If you are talking about Rodriguez's Iberian Wolf in the 2009 competition, it was subsequently disqualified and resulted in the rules of the competition being significantly tightened; which rather backs up the main thrust of the argument that captive animals aren't really wildlife.

If you are talking about Rodriguez's Iberian Wolf in the 2009 competition, it was subsequently disqualified and resulted in the rules of the competition being significantly tightened; which rather backs up the main thrust of the argument that captive animals aren't really wildlife.

No, I'm talking about a Grey Wolf photographed at the Triple D Game Farm in the US.

No, I'm talking about a Grey Wolf photographed at the Triple D Game Farm in the US.

I couldn't find the entry or year for that one, but that does bring up the argument as to whether a gamepark/ reserve is truly wildlife.

Personally I think that it's down to feeding. If an animal has to source and hunt for it's own food, then it's tantamount to wild. If it relies on humans for it's food source however, whether live or dead, then it's no longer fully wild.

Having said that I think that wild a very hard definition to really nail down considering the amount of human involvement in animal husbandry.

I'm with Yv on this one. The skill involved in taking shots in a wildlife park is less than that needed for true wildlife shots. The animals in a wildlife park are more used to human contact and will be in a defined area.

Even without travelling abroad there's plenty of wildlife in this country to shoot. My aim this year is to get some better shots of wild boar and deer in the woods and see if I can get some shots of badgers and foxes. I know there are places that you can go to to guarantee shots of them but the challenge for me is to get them in my local woods where they aren't so acclimatised to humans.

I don't class animals in zoos, safari parks etc as wildlife and also have a problem with places like Richmond/Bush Park etc.
To me if the animal is restricted in anyway and can't wander then it is captive and often in the local parks they are so used to people they are almost tame.
Let's not forget that many of the pictures shown in magazines etc are taken of captive animals, even the british wildlife, far easier and less time consuming to pay for a private session in these places the hunt around for what they want

Last edited:
Back