Nod's attempt at a 52 for '22. 52/52 - Showcase.

I'm with Bebop this looks fascinating. I'm going to have a look on Amazon and maybe get one for myself.

Thanks for posting this Nod and have a very, merry Christmas!

The smaller ones are (naturally!) cheaper but do less than the more expensive ones. Oddly, the cheapest one I have is the one I use most! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mechanical...keywords=UGears+Models&qid=1672069469&sr=8-29 - It's handy for planning things when you can see what day someone's birthday is on!

Mrs Nod and her Mum having covid (NO symptoms and now testing negative) made commercialmas a bit different! Luckily, Mrs Nod's Mum's house is close to decent countryside/canalside walks so we (Mrs Nod and I) could get out for safe walks to maintain (what passes for...) sanity!!!

Last edited:
The above post half explains the problem I've had with this challenge. Doesn't help that we don't celebrate it, either! However, seeing the below did raise all our spirits today!

IMG_20221226_082331_resized_20221226_023236847[5352].jpg

Thankfully, both Mrs Nod and her Mum were completely asymptomatic. The carer was a bit rough for a couple of days (she's asthmatic so suffers with her chest) but is now back up and running. Not long until MiL moves into the care home and we can stop being "on call" for the next emergency (real or perceived!)

That's good news. At least you had an excuse to avoid the "festive" season ;)

Reactions: Nod
52/52! Wow, I wasn't sure I'd make it past week 4, let alone to the end!

My favourite shot of the year has to be from one of my favourite places, of one of my favourite views with one of my favourite subjects thrown in for good measure! It's looking West from our balcony at one of the hotels we stay in in Crete. We've seen 20+ years worth of Buzzards on the nest (the actual nest is just below where the Sun is) and have seen 3 or 4 take their first flight. We missed this one's first solo but only by a few hours - when we went out one morning, he/she was on the nest, when we got back that afternoon, he/she was in a different tree (but not far away from "home"!) Pretty sure the bird in the shot is one of the parents. The island that can just about be made out at the bottom of the naked tree is Thodorou (MANY other spellings appear on maps and in guide books!), home to native goats (Kri-kri) and a flock of Eleanora's falcons who treat us to a fly past most evenings (but who are all but impossible to catch on "film"!) 6 months seems so far in the future!!!

DSCF4915.jpg

A moment in time, must have been a fabulous evening on the balcony, great choice.

Just realised that the shot was taken on what would have been Mum's 82nd birthday! TBH, almost every evening has a sunset similar to that, although there's sometimes some cloud to the West which can make the sky more interesting. It was the juxtaposition of the Buzzard, the sun being eaten by the Wile E. Coyote tree and the monochrome sky that made this my choice. (I have literally hundreds of sunset shots from the balcony and several time lapse videos.)

A beautiful shot Nod, I can see why you chose it and the backstory just enhances the image.

I didn't even see the "Wile E. Coyote tree" but now I can't "unsee" it... :D

It's not my "best" shot from the year but it is my favourite. It could perhaps do with 1/2 - 1 stop more exposure for the sky but that would have blown more of the Sun. (And the full size original looks much better too! Not sure why - the only PP has been a resize.)

A good end to the 52 with what is obviously a very memorable event.

Back