Noise even at low ISO?

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I've deliberately done absolutely nothing to this image whatsoever bar cropping it just for the purposes of illustrating my question.

Everyone knows high ISOs equal more noise than low ISOs, I've also read many times that pulling the shadows or exposure up a lot introduces extra noise, my question though is this:

Why is this (and all the images I took along with it) so very noisy even though they are only at ISO 400 and I haven't done anything in post to add noise?

Camera is a D7200.

Last edited:
Is that a 100% crop or the full frame?

Can't view - This photo is private. Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Your flickr image has restricted viewing permissions. We can't see it, so can't see the original full size to see the noise you're talking about. If this was an ex-camera unedited jpeg, you also need to tell us what noise control settings were set in your camera.

It doesn’t look THAT noisy to me but simplistically darks will always have more noise, especially if underexposed, which this is. If you crop then you are simply magnifying the noise so try not to crop.

I've modified the permissions on flickr. Is it visible now? Or do I need to re-attach it?

Your flickr image has restricted viewing permissions. We can't see it, so can't see the original full size to see the noise you're talking about. If this was an ex-camera unedited jpeg, you also need to tell us what noise control settings were set in your camera.

Shot in raw. Exported jpg unedited apart from crop.

Shutter priority @ 1/320
exp compensation + 1/3
f18
(Auto) ISO 400

Last edited:
Below is the original image. I know the one in the OP is a big crop, but that is close to what I see when I click on 1:1 in lightroom. I intended to crop the images to some extent but not as much as the above one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76999116@N05/

Could be the extreme crop that's magnifying the noise?

D7200 has good noise performance for a aps-c sensor.

You don't know how lucky you are compare to ten years ago.

It’s a heavy crop of an under exposed image taken in poor light.

The 400 + 1/3 is iso 500 on a crop sensor.

Hence the noise.

Better exposure, more ‘zoom’ will help.

f18?

yes better exposure.. at f18 you ahve a lot of settngs to play with :)

oops @ancient_mariner post wasn't there yet when i posted mine ..

f18? That's likely to not be helping. I'd have said it doesn't look too bad, noise-wise, for a crop camera of that age.

Yes I was surprised to see that what it was, I was in shutter priority and auto ISO. I don't know why it didn't choose a lower ISO and a larger aperture. :thinking:

Because of the exposure compensation?

Yes I was surprised to see that what it was, I was in shutter priority and auto ISO. I don't know why it didn't choose a lower ISO and a larger aperture. :thinking:

Because of the exposure compensation?
no, because most of your shot is bright sky the best way to shoot a plane/bird in flight type photo is to shoot +1 exposure comp and use spot metering auto iso has its uses but this is not 1 of them hth Mike.

something like this!!! +2 exposure comp due to very bright day

SallyB by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

Last edited:
no, because most of your shot is bright sky the best way to shoot a plane/bird in flight type photo is to shoot +1 exposure comp and use spot metering auto iso has its uses but this is not 1 of them hth Mike.

something like this!!! +2 exposure comp due to very bright day

SallyB by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

Thanks.

I normally would be in spot metering and I thought I was! I've just checked and it wasn't. That's my mistake, but in my defence, the planes turned up about 15 minutes before scheduled, so caught me unawares and unprepared.
The light was pretty crap so the shots would never have been great, but they could have been a bit better if they weren't so rushed and I hadn't cocked them up a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I normally would be in spot metering and I thought I was! I've just checked and it wasn't. That's my mistake, but in my defence, the planes turned up about 15 minutes before scheduled, so caught me unawares and unprepared.
The light was pretty crap so the shots would never have been great, but they could have been a bit better if they weren't so rushed and I hadn't cocked them up a bit.
You don't need to defend yourself ;) just be prepared, take some practice shots before the planes even arrive it sounds like your trying to set more modes and options on your camera than you properly understand. this is not a dig just trying to help you get better shots.

for me, aperture priority iso somewhere between 200/800 depending on the light then adjust shutter speed to suit the type of aircraft (slower shutter for turboprop planes) hth Mike.

You don't need to defend yourself ;) just be prepared, take some practice shots before the planes even arrive it sounds like your trying to set more modes and options on your camera than you properly understand. this is not a dig just trying to help you get better shots.

for me, aperture priority iso somewhere between 200/800 depending on the light then adjust shutter speed to suit the type of aircraft (slower shutter for turboprop planes) hth Mike.

All the advice is appreciated. It wasn't a lack of understanding that led to me being in matrix metering instead of spot metering - I thought I was in spot, fully aware that I ought to have been. :)

Presumably at those apertures you wouldn’t have been able to have shutter speeds slow enough to blur the prop.

Aye. I selected a speed to blur the prop a bit.

It shouldn't have been as small as f18 though, if I hadn't cocked up the metering and ISO. Holding my hands up to that one. You're right though, would never have been wide open.

Back