Noise reduction workflow (M43 in mind)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I find that images from my G80 have a high level of noise much beyond 2000 ISO to the point where I restrict the camera ever getting up that high. Usually attempts to rectify this issue (using Lightroom NR tools) results in a mushy image that just isn't pleasing to me.

I know there are people here who claim that usable high ISO images from M43 are possible but I couldn't find any detailed workflows...ideally I'd like to learn because it means not having to upgrade my 2nd camera to something with better noise handling.

Does anyone have any workflows I could check out? Happy to consider programs outside of the Adobe package (Topaz, DXO etc) if necessary.

Thanks

Started to use topaz denoise and ai sharpen have been very impressed with the results so much used the trial versions before purchasing and ran some iso 6400 and 4000 iso images through topaz been very pleased simple plug inside denoise 1st then standard processing and Ai sharpen at the end

DxO PureRaw is a revelation for m4/3, even better now you can turn off the global sharpening.
I use the standalone software and it makes higher iso and low light work very possible.

DXO Photolab 5 Elite for me, Deep Prime noise reduction is superb and a very versatile processor generally.

Last edited:
I use Capture One and have the On1 No noise plugin to deal with any noise, it seems very effective, I think Robin Whalley did a comparison between the 'noise' programs you can now get which work with various editing softwares. DXO is also very good (yes I have both!!!!)

I have both DXO Photolab AND Topaz Denoise! I haven't come to any conclusion over which does a better job.

My intention is to eventually move away from LR to Photolab completely, but for the time being I have set Photolab up to do the same job as PureRaw does. In other words export selected files from LR to Photolab for "preprocessing" and export them back to LR for processing. I do it that way because I'm very familiar with LR and don't learn new software very easily.

The big difference I have found between doing this and using Topaz is that you use an unedited file direct from LR in PL, and you export an edited file from LR to Topaz as the final stage in processing.

Hope that's helpful!

Topaz de.noise for me ,I also use m4/3 so I know it works .it gives you 4 levels to choose from to

Back