Noise, what do you use

Edit My Images
No
Just wondering what post processing you use for noise reduction, seems a wide choice

PS I use Photoshop

Last edited:
I have used Topaz de-noise ai and the nonoise in ON1 but now I just use the Denoise that comes with Lightroom. Works fine for my images.

Last edited:
I have used or tried them all and finished with DXO pure raw, did use Topaz products but since they have tried to make it better it seems IMO to have gone the wrong way. They mostly all have trial offers so maybe try before you buy. Russ.

DXO if I am using autofocus lenses

Lightroom AI if I the photo was taken with legacy manual focus lenses that DXO knows nothing about

My 'go to,' has been DxO PhotoLab (just updated to PL7 during the Black Friday discount) since 2016 when I switched to Olympus mFT

FWIW I do have Topaz DeNoise AI but have used it very rarely of late.

Last edited:
FWIW I do have Topaz DeNoise AI but have used it very rarely of late.
Likewise

Topaz saves its output as a TIFF file

The new generation of tools available to me now save to DNG, so I’m afraid it’s game over for Topaz

Only got LR Denoise, seems to work ok for me. I don't tend to denoise things anyway because, unless the photo condition is out of the ordinary, I'm not sure, unless heavily cropped, that anyone can see a difference, unless pixel peeping.

Only got LR Denoise, seems to work ok for me. I don't tend to denoise things anyway because, unless the photo condition is out of the ordinary, I'm not sure, unless heavily cropped, that anyone can see a difference, unless pixel peeping.
Same here.

I use topaz but it’s an older version haven’t updated it for a couple of years ,gut feeling says they are steadily downgrading it .the other alternative is LR denoise which works well but takes longer

I use topaz but it’s an older version haven’t updated it for a couple of years ,gut feeling says they are steadily downgrading it .the other alternative is LR denoise which works well but takes longer
Depends on GPU speed I believe.

It may take longer but I think it still ends up being quicker than having to go into topaz and back into lightroom, by keeping everything in lightroom you also keep the output file as a raw, I just wait till I have a batch to do then leave it rendering, so it’s not like I’m sat there waiting on it to finish

It may take longer but I think it still ends up being quicker than having to go into topaz and back into lightroom, by keeping everything in lightroom you also keep the output file as a raw, I just wait till I have a batch to do then leave it rendering, so it’s not like I’m sat there waiting on it to finish
That depends on your workflow , I tend to do the photo first in LR then finish it off and de.noise in PS ..each to there own

DXO for me as well , newer cameras are awesome for low noise but DXO is amazing for going back to old Raws and reprosessing them

I don't usually bother. Maybe tweak the NR slider in Lightroom a bit but very rarely. I don't find the noise pattern from my Fuji X=T4 bothersome at all.

I now use Topaz Photo AI and previously Topaz DeNoise AI, PhotoAI has DeNoise, Sharpen and Gigapixel in one if needed.

I use it on the jpg outputs I take from Lightroom, if you use it in lightroom it takes ages and saves huge file sizes, I found no benefit using in Lightroom, so always output to jpg and do the noise removal on that file, takes less than 30s to complete

I've started to use Pure Raw3 for high ISO pix. Other than that, hardly use much at all.

For the most part it's the built in Lightroom noise software. When I'm doing the really high iso (over 6400) odd images it's Noiseware pro, or now and again Topaz denoise (I prefer noiseware)

I now use Topaz Photo AI and previously Topaz DeNoise AI, PhotoAI has DeNoise, Sharpen and Gigapixel in one if needed.

I use it on the jpg outputs I take from Lightroom, if you use it in lightroom it takes ages and saves huge file sizes, I found no benefit using in Lightroom, so always output to jpg and do the noise removal on that file, takes less than 30s to complete
I find the old individual apps vastly preferable for image quality. I don't like obvious artificial ai look from the new photo app

I use DXO Pure RAW. The Lightroom built in is far too slow per image than DXO, although I accept it may be my PC.
It likes a good GPU, and it doesn't like it when Photoshop is also open. Strange but that's how it seems to be

I have used Topaz Denoise and Photo AI, but now mainly use LR Denoise. I agree that Topaz files can get huge

Used to use topaz now Lightroom as its very good and saves messing around with plugins etc.

Hello.

I usually use Topaz DeNoise AI, but have been getting good results from Topaz Photo AI in auto mode (literally open the image from lightroom in topaz photo ai, and let it do it's thing without adjusting anything).

Some of my shots are edited using the Lightroom Classic DeNoise feature, but I've found that the standalone Topaz DeNoise AI gives a more user friendly and better result overall, especially when 4 shots are open using various denoise types, and picking the best looking result.

If I've read correctly, Topaz are not updating DeNoise AI anymore, and will be concentrating on Photo AI, only.

Quote:
However, we recently decided that Topaz Photo AI will be taking over since it combines all the functionalities of these apps into one.

We were originally going to continue updating them, though. We will be officially breaking this news to all users after Black Friday.

Likewise

Topaz saves its output as a TIFF file

The new generation of tools available to me now save to DNG, so I’m afraid it’s game over for Topaz
If it helps? The latest Topaz Photo AI saves to JPEG, DNG, TIFF and PNG. You can also disable compression.

...by keeping everything in lightroom you also keep the output file as a raw...
Nope, it is a DNG... a DNG can be mostly a raw file, but never entirely. And once the pixel level details have been changed it is not a raw file at all; so it doesn't really matter if its saved as DNG/TIFF/PSD whatever. It does have the advantage that the other edits are not baked in at the same time

Back