Noisy Hard-drives

fingers crossed.....

They must be really loud if you're having this much trouble. TBH I'd unplug each in turn to find out which is the noisy one, and then replace it asap. Modern drives aren't noisy unless there's problems - get shot and it'll save you a whole load of problems when it does go. My laptop HDD went yesterday, but thankfully our hardware support guys at work will do a swapout for me :D

its both drives...im going to redo the case over the weekend and see if the chassis is casuing excess noise too...its only started recently so im thinking i will be wasting my time.

It's very unlikely that both drives will fail at the same time, considering they are from different manufacturers. Without hearing the noise I couldn't really give you too much advice, but try running them without the case covers on and see if it's resonance through the case. Have you made any recent changes to the PC setup (hardware wise)>

nope! i have unplugged all the fans and the drives and its definately them, last change was a dvd rom but it was making noise before that went in

I would say bring it over, but you're a bit remote for that to be sensible! Hmm, really not sure what to suggest... does pressing the case panels soften the noise at all?

no, only unplugging the drives. Im going to try disabling them in bios as suggested, just working up to it now

Take the DVD Rom out again and re-tighten the drive fixings. It maybe that fitting the DVD has allowed your HDDs to rattle slightly looser in the frame.

Steve said:
EosD said:
conversely though.....the noise will be even more apparent!

Not when not accessing the drives though..depending on what you are doing and if you have enough memory, this should be fairly infrequent.

Agreed. Because you will not expect to hear it, when you do it'll be very obvious. What Steve is suggesting is that minimising the use of the swap file (virtual memory on disk used when physical memory is at a premium) will reduce the times your HDD will need to be spun up. Sadly the latest Windows operating systems will use the swap file even if there is shed loads of physical memory available - I'd put it at 20-30% virtual in relation to physical. I can't say why exactly MS designed it this way, but I expect it was they predicted heavy memory usage of games and server style usage, so it was always designed to give equal physical memory usgae to all processes running, and because the OS's can't shuffle memory as well as MS would like, they split it into physical and virtual memory from the outset.

Sad but true....

i cant find an option in the bios to only run when necessary, im going to take all the drives out and redo them, tightening the drives has made no difference

Back