Norfolk Island

Edit My Images
Yes
I feel there's a good shot in here somewhere but I can't draw it out.
The grey mist and dull lake seem to leave it a bit flat.
The image is uncropped so I have a bit of latitude there.
Any ideas ?

BTW this is Norfolk Island obscured in the mist on Lake Ullswater .

Norfolk-Island.jpg

Thanks,
Cameron

Well am no expert but I find the island and background most interesting but the foreground just lets it down a little.

Agree with P-E, loose most of the water if you can.

Norfolk_Islandsdk.jpg

Somewhat like that?

Just rotated a touch, cropped, Ninja'd and sharpened.

Dunno what you think?

Absolutely beautiful shot though. Very Lord of the rings!

I like it, the odd lighting on the water makes an optical illusion that the horizon is a bit off, plus could do with losing a little of the water as it doesnt add that much to the pic.

<edit> lol this is referring to the original picture not the re-edited one !

or a bit of b&w

Norfolk_Islandsdk2.jpg

Just some rough and ready edits that I hope might act as a bit of a springboard for you?

Hope you didn't mind my meddling!

I don't think you're going to improve on gandhi's first crop Cameron. It's a fantastic shot, but I reckon it's one of those shots that could drive you crackers trying to bring the best out of it.

All I could really think of to do was rather than try to bring out the detail - emphasise the main feature which is the mist, so I just increased the luminosity via the histogram.

cameron_s.jpg

That darker area and the darker tree on top of the island sort of spoils the effect a bit, but you might be able to selectively lighten those areas, or nick a bit of swirly mist from elsewhere. :D

Good luck with it.

I was thinking maybe some shark fins or something out of the water ;)

Anyhow its a great shot........one I would be pleased with.

i think id go with CT's. he's right that gandhi has the crop spot on and i like the extra 'coldness' that the lightening brings.

lovely shot

Norfolk-Islandstp.jpg

A more severe crop with the contrast and brightness in the highlights increased.

oh and flipped horizontally, gives it a whole new dynamic.

Like Jonnys crop...makes it look like it's been taken from a film.....just need a couple of orks now ;)

It works... very 'high key' :thumb:

I did like the shimmery water personally, but it's a a sod of a shot to know what to do for the best.

Warehouse Express say I'll have it on Monday! :banana:

Replacement. :icon_cool

First thing I did was stick it in the Mini Trekker to check - no probs. The camera is pretty well the same height as the 20D with battery grip anyway.

If you get the Mini Trekker, make sure you get the AW (all weather) version, especially with some of the places you get to. ;)

Back