Name
GC
Edit My Images
Yes
Yep, Holywell

GC

Edit My Images
Yes
Part time! My grandparents lived in Ruthin and I spent quite a lot of my childhood weekends and holidays in the Vale of Clwyd between Ruthin and Corwen, and still cross the border from south Cheshire on a regular basis for both work and play.

OP
19andy78
Name
andy
Edit My Images
No
I can rely on you to tell me when the waxwings make an appearance on the Elwy, just behind Rowlands - they were there 3-4 years ago in considerable numbers
I would gladly do so if I knew what waxwings look like Peter. new to all of this. send me a pic of them and I will let you know. there is an owl here somewhere at the back of me, its just returned in the last 2 weeks.

OP
19andy78
Name
andy
Edit My Images
No
i'm looking for some tutoring of sorts or guidance etc whilst out on a shoot somewhere. I only got in to photography around 12 months ago properly and want to learn abit more as a hobby. mainly help with the camera, manual setting etc etc.

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
There is a number of camera clubs in north Wales - eg a long-established one in Conwy. I'm not in any of them so can't comment on any, but I'd guess most would be happy to help, and provide you with a range of new contacts. Assume you've found Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay , good shop with range of services.

OP
19andy78
Name
andy
Edit My Images
No
I haven't John to be fare. but thanks for the info I will look into it mate

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Yep flint

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
i'm looking for some tutoring of sorts or guidance etc whilst out on a shoot somewhere. I only got in to photography around 12 months ago properly and want to learn abit more as a hobby. mainly help with the camera, manual setting etc etc.
What camera lens you got and what type of photography you doing ? I can help with wildlife

OP
19andy78
Name
andy
Edit My Images
No
ive got a Nikon 18-200 and just awaiting delivery of a 18-55. im interested in all aspects at the moment, wildlife, landscape, architecture, astro. not found my forte as yet.

Edit My Images
Yes
ive got a Nikon 18-200 and just awaiting delivery of a 18-55. im interested in all aspects at the moment, wildlife, landscape, architecture, astro. not found my forte as yet.
There's some nice architecture around Ruthin town centre, quite a nice statue of Owain Glyndŵr in Corwen town centre too, plus some lovely picturesque countryside in between those two towns. That should keep you busy for a while! (y)

PS I remember shopping at OK Photography in Mold in the early 80s too - probably long since gone, along with most other independent high street photography shops.

Last edited:
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Sent you a private message Andy

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
I second and third Cambrian photography, superb shop and will point you in the desired direction. I know of people in that London who've never set foot in Wales praise Cambrian.

They've cost me and my partner a lot of money over the years.

For waxwings just check out my Flickr account (see sig,) - I had the wrong lens on last time but they are one of 4 species I am targetting this year.

In the Vale of Clwyd you are really spoilt for choice - there is plenty to photograph in Ruthin I agree, and the roads towards Cerrig and Corwen have plenty of photographic opportunities, such as the Denbigh Moors, Llyn Brenig, Alwen etc.

The statue of Henry Morton Stanley in Denbigh is a nicer statue than the 'thing' in St Asaph too