North Wales..

Yep, Holywell

GC

Part time! My grandparents lived in Ruthin and I spent quite a lot of my childhood weekends and holidays in the Vale of Clwyd between Ruthin and Corwen, and still cross the border from south Cheshire on a regular basis for both work and play.

I can rely on you to tell me when the waxwings make an appearance on the Elwy, just behind Rowlands - they were there 3-4 years ago in considerable numbers
I would gladly do so if I knew what waxwings look like Peter. new to all of this. send me a pic of them and I will let you know. there is an owl here somewhere at the back of me, its just returned in the last 2 weeks.

i'm looking for some tutoring of sorts or guidance etc whilst out on a shoot somewhere. I only got in to photography around 12 months ago properly and want to learn abit more as a hobby. mainly help with the camera, manual setting etc etc.

There is a number of camera clubs in north Wales - eg a long-established one in Conwy. I'm not in any of them so can't comment on any, but I'd guess most would be happy to help, and provide you with a range of new contacts. Assume you've found Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay , good shop with range of services.

I haven't John to be fare. but thanks for the info I will look into it mate

Yep flint

i'm looking for some tutoring of sorts or guidance etc whilst out on a shoot somewhere. I only got in to photography around 12 months ago properly and want to learn abit more as a hobby. mainly help with the camera, manual setting etc etc.
What camera lens you got and what type of photography you doing ? I can help with wildlife

ive got a Nikon 18-200 and just awaiting delivery of a 18-55. im interested in all aspects at the moment, wildlife, landscape, architecture, astro. not found my forte as yet.

ive got a Nikon 18-200 and just awaiting delivery of a 18-55. im interested in all aspects at the moment, wildlife, landscape, architecture, astro. not found my forte as yet.
There's some nice architecture around Ruthin town centre, quite a nice statue of Owain Glyndŵr in Corwen town centre too, plus some lovely picturesque countryside in between those two towns. That should keep you busy for a while! (y)

PS I remember shopping at OK Photography in Mold in the early 80s too - probably long since gone, along with most other independent high street photography shops.

Last edited:
Sent you a private message Andy

I second and third Cambrian photography, superb shop and will point you in the desired direction. I know of people in that London who've never set foot in Wales praise Cambrian.

They've cost me and my partner a lot of money over the years.

For waxwings just check out my Flickr account (see sig,) - I had the wrong lens on last time but they are one of 4 species I am targetting this year.

In the Vale of Clwyd you are really spoilt for choice - there is plenty to photograph in Ruthin I agree, and the roads towards Cerrig and Corwen have plenty of photographic opportunities, such as the Denbigh Moors, Llyn Brenig, Alwen etc.

The statue of Henry Morton Stanley in Denbigh is a nicer statue than the 'thing' in St Asaph too

Back