North England North Yorkshire Moors Railway?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm considering a day out at the NYMR in the next month or 2, and having got a little confused with their website I thought I would ask for tips.

As I understand, it runs from Pickering to Whitby and back, and seems to be sensible to start at Pickering (even though it's further away from me, coming from Tyneside). What's the parking like at Pickering, and does Pickering - Whitby - Pickering make sense for a day out? With a couple of hours in Whitby in the middle.

Any suggestions on locations on the route for decent pics?

General tips and suggestions?

Not all trains run into Whitby, check the TIMETABLE.

Thanks I noticed that, my initial plan was the 9:25 from Pickering to Whitby, lunch and a walkabout in Whitby and returning on the 16:40 back to Pickering.

It's the middle bit I'm confused with, is it worth jumping off at any off the intermediate stations?

Goathlands a nice little village, they used to film heartbeat there, very picturesque and worth a stroll through

Anyone got an idea where the photo on their webpage was taken from (with the stone bridge in the background) and whether it's accesble to the public to get that viewpoint?

Top of the page:
http://www.nymr.co.uk/

Pretty much looks like Goathland to me. The small signal box there is pretty distinctive. Grosmont has a tunnel beyond the level crossing whilst Pickering has a load of sidings

Website photo was taken trackside at Goathland. Us mere mortals have to stand on the bridge. Everyone takes this shot....

My turn for this shot... by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Most trains used to stop at Grosmont and you had to change although there are/were plans to put a through service in. Maybe that's come to fruition though what view NR are taking on steam haulage at present is anyone's guess.

Pretty much looks like Goathland to me. The small signal box there is pretty distinctive. Grosmont has a tunnel beyond the level crossing whilst Pickering has a load of sidings

Thanks, another point to Goathland then.

If you're prepared to walk to the road bridge in Whitby you could do THIS shot, or if you take the footpath that follows the railway under the bridge you

can get THIS.

one of my favourite places to go :D parking at Pickering can get very busy in the summer and later in the day so I find it best to get there first thing in the morning so I get a full day out and a parking space. Going on the train for the day is a fantastic day out (well I think so :D) especially if the weather is nice, I normally go Pickering to Whitby and even done it with my two dogs so yes it's a must do. Last thing I knew about the line is that they were extending the station at Whitby so that the line had two platforms so it could run more trains from Pickering to Whitby, just check the timetable and that will have all the times it runs full-length.

As for photography, Pickering station can have some very nice shots, like towards the end of the station where they fill the engines with water and the bridge goes across the stream. Anything around Goathland is a must, but is a very common place and also gets busy because heartbeat was filmed there. From Goathland there is a walk to Grosmont, but don't take the advertised one where the old railway was that leads away from the railway, you want to cross the line and go up the hill the other side and follow the path and you will come across this location
NYMR to goathland by Nicholas curtis, on Flickr
Great location, not the best pic, but that was because it was hot and my dogs wanted to get to the bottom to swim in the beck, but still a nice spot. Then, you follow the path to a fantastic little village called Beck hole where the train runs along the beck but up high. From here you can join the advertised route to Grosmont where you can get some more shots of the railway then back on the train to Whitby where others have coverd the best shots

hope this all helps

Last edited:
Back