Northern Finland and Stockholm

Name
Ron
Edit My Images
No
I'm off to northern Finland next week on a work trip - a place called Joensuu. Not sure I'll have much time for photography but does anyone know of it? On Flickr there are lots of photos of lakes and pine trees and urban grafitti and not a lot else.

I fly back via Stockholm where I'll be for a couple of days. Other than the Metro and some of the waterfront sights any ideas on what to take my camera to, bearing in mind I'll be working and not have a huge amount of time during daylight hours?

Don't know whether to take my Nikon d7000 with a 17-50 f2.8 or take my little Fuji X-10.

I would be thinking about possible Aurora locations and also packing a fishing rod.

Joensuu ... more Eastern Finland than Northern.. :) At the moment you are looking at about 50cm of snow there and still a bit chilly on the temperatures.
The city itself is pretty 'standard' Finnish city ... but the nature is all around and close at hand, so should be possible even to have a stroll to the woods if you have morning/afternoon off from work.
(Might be heading there myself next week - depending on how their local team plays in the basketball playoffs ... would be attending that game with the camera :) )

You could always take a walk along the rivers edge.. and to the lake.. you get some nice open view over the lake.. so sunrise/sunset are pretty cool.
And if you get lucky with the weather.. the rising of the fog/steam off the lake when the ice melts.. that gives some super pics with the low sun.
I know.. very weather dependant...

At the moment also there seems to be action from the solar winds.. so for example tonight is 'Extremely High' likelihood of aurora even in the Southern parts of Finland.. so well worth keeping an eye on the 'Space Weather'.

If I get the call to come and cover the game in Joensuu next week - and you have few hours of free time.. happy to show you around..

Stockholm... being a Finn myself.. can't think of anything worth photography in Sweden as a whole ;-)

Naah, seriously.. the Old Town .. yep.. the water front... if you can get little bit out of the city center.. you could try to get along the route where the Finland to Sweden ferries go.. they pass some picturesque scenes.. and capturing one the big boats gliding past the island/huts.. that's nice contrasty image.

(guessing you might already be here in Finland now.. but hopefully this still comes in time :) )

Thanks GooGaBu. Yes I'm in Joensuu at the moment. Heavy snow and overcast when I arrived. The river is partly frozen over. Doubt if I'll have much time tomorrow but might manage a brief foray on Wednesday morning before heading back to the airport.

As you say, the town itself is rather unremarkable but it's nice along the river.

Sent from my K00F using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Mention of north Finland got me a bit excited. I was refreshing memory on my trip to Rovaniemi (lapland) then looked it up in google maps and realized it way too far from Joensuu.

Back