grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally getting through some of my stuff from Norway

EOS 7D, EF 400mm f/4DO IS, Tripod, Acratech Long Lens head

This was pushing the 7D to the limits with ISO 3200, 1/40s at f/4. It gets pretty dark in those pine forests...

Paul

Paul

Did you enhance the eye of the bird - looks quite bright? Cracking shot, though!

Andy

great shot, love the pose, (y)

Nice shot fella, did very well in the conditions! :)

Was you shooting from a hide, or was you out and about scouting for them?

drew

Cheers guys.

Drew - it was from a hide. They are incredibly skittish and even from a baited hide, you have to be very careful. No noise, limited number of shutter firings, very limited camera movement, etc.

Top job :) We've just got the 2man hide from stealthgear, can't wait to use it

drew

grumpybadger said:
Thanks guys.

Andy - no enhancement. Absolutely as shot - and I mean that. No levels or anything...

As if I'd accuse you of tinkering - no, it just looked really vivid, it's great it's so luminous.

grumpybadger said:
No noise, limited number of shutter firings, very limited camera movement, etc.

No doubt due to the cold as well as not disturbing the bird...

I've found before that rain can make images look "super saturated" - and I don't mean wet!

Cold wasn't too bad. It was raining not snowing at this point so was just above freezing (precipitation was falling as snow again about 5 minutes later)

I've found before that rain can make images look "super saturated" - and I don't mean wet!

Cold wasn't too bad. It was raining not snowing at this point so was just above freezing (precipitation was falling as snow again about 5 minutes later)

Interesting observation - I tried to photograph things today and mostly it was I who was super-saturated... :sulk:

I'm surprised it wasn't colder - I sort of assumed Norway would be colder than here - especially in the north

Great shot Paul, on the oneshow tonight they had a female couldn't believe how big they are. You are very lucky to get this close to a wild one, I hope they become more common in the uk.

(y)

I'm surprised it wasn't colder - I sort of assumed Norway would be colder than here - especially in the north

Oh, this was the warm day when a wet front came through. We had colder weather I can assure you. I think -19 was the lowest but it may have been -21. This site was close to sea level so considerably warmer.

Great shot Paul, on the oneshow tonight they had a female couldn't believe how big they are. You are very lucky to get this close to a wild one, I hope they become more common in the uk.

(y)

I know how lucky I am Liam (y) But, the more you try, the luckier you get :nuts: This was the male bird - I didn't see the female but IanC_UK did. I think there are about 400 pairs in the UK so they are reasonably widespread, just incredibly shy and cautious...

Thanks Mark. Yes it was an organised photographic trip - primarily for eagles but the goshawk was a possibility and it would be rude to to try!

A Goshawk featured on The One Show tonight.

Just watched that on iPlayer. Thanks for the pointer. What a great sequence. The high speed camera was done on Springwatch last year and they actually got footage of a bird pulling its wings in and pushing off a tree with its feet to get through a small gap.

Love the "on bird" camera footage though and top marks to Ellie for getting a chunk of Mike Dillger in her talons!

Back