Beginner Northern Lights - waves from Huddersfield, UK

Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to take a couple of pictures of the Northern Lights in Huddersfield, UK. However for some reason it looks a lot clearer on my camera viewer than it does on my new all singing and dancing MacBook 15" Retina screen. Why is this? Very difficult to edit when you cannot see the pattern clearly.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• L1040566-2.jpg
    L1040566-2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 139
I cant see them there. I can see the glow of whatever city, but no northern lights

For some reason they came out better on my camera screen......!

Attachments

• IMG_7517.JPG
    IMG_7517.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 93
Also they are often rather green try lifting that and/or change white balance.

Don't get me wrong i know diddly squat but that looks more like glare from the light pollution rather then the northern lights and then it's been toned down in processing on your final image, hence why you cant see it?

The constellations in your shot Jinkster - Gemini and part of Orion - show your shot was taken in a very roughly south easterly direction.

A display of the lights that reached to the south eastern horizon in the middle of the UK would be colossal. Sorry, but I agree with those above, I think the glow is light pollution.

As I put in my posting, at 2-3 am in NW Scotland visually the display was not great but it was all towards the north.

Dave

Norland's just South of Halifax so he'd have been looking North.

I don't think the area in the UK was in question, just the direction the camera was pointing.

Terry.

Mind you............................

They are lights......................... in the North.......................... so the title may be correct :)

Back