Northern lights

Ok thanks, I'm going to give it a whirl. However, If I miss Eastenders for nothing I'm holding you personally accountable! :)

Record depressionenders if your really need it in your life :D

you do realise, a lot isn't visible to the naked eye? you actually have to take the camera off the table, and do some long exposures, then they show up.

A camera sensor is a lot more sensitive than the naked eye.

The one i took above up Mam Tor, the green you couldn't see , but on the camera is was there.

Up here the ones we saw were very visible to the naked eye - pulsing ribbons of coloured light moving across the sky. Once your night vision is adjusted to the darkness they were spectacular.

Last nights show was totally amazing... I`m fortunate that I live in the far north and have seen many wonderful displays of the AB but last nights was honestly the best I`ve seen in many years and yip you guessed it... I never had my camera with me... I was actually at a band rehearsal but we must have spent most of the time outside with eyes gazing to the heavens. It was hard to take your eyes away from them...

Beautiful shimmering curtains of red, green, blue and white could all be seen with the naked eye no problem at all. It was honestly quite awesome and made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up...

One of natures amazing shows... some really good pics here too, well done to all... :)

Up here the ones we saw were very visible to the naked eye - pulsing ribbons of coloured light moving across the sky. Once your night vision is adjusted to the darkness they were spectacular.

i agree, but the camera sensor picks up a heck of a lot more than the eye does.

Happy with this one , my first ever light paint :)

5y7k.jpg

First time I've seen them with the naked eye in the UK, I was in Girvan, South Ayrshire last night. Who else saw them with the naked eye farther south than that?

Some nice shots from all over the UK last night, still not a patch on the intense stuff from the arctic circle and beyond though.

Having said that, these are nice
Cross posted with my post in the Landscape section. Amazing sights up here near Lochinver right up at the top left of Scotland. 3 for you...

Very little light pollution up here hence all the stars on show. There are 4 of us up here taking landscape pics so we had some decent gear on hand. This is with my Sony A7R and Olympus 21mm f/3.5 at f/5 I think, 15sec at ISO2000. Here's a couple more - same camera and settings.

Looking straight up...

Portrait orientation...

I've got to say it was amazing to see, especially in this setting with the clarity of the air and the brightness of the stars. I just wish I'd had the chance to drive over to one of the views over the lochs & mountains we'd been photographing earlier in the say as that would have given us some truly spectacular pictures.

Last edited:
First time I've seen them with the naked eye in the UK, I was in Girvan, South Ayrshire last night. Who else saw them with the naked eye farther south than that?

From a bedroom window in a housing estate on the edge of Newcastle - the red especially was visible even above light pollution so must have been bright! Only even seen a white haze which photographed green before further up in Northumberland.

From a bedroom window in a housing estate on the edge of Newcastle - the red especially was visible even above light pollution so must have been bright! Only even seen a white haze which photographed green before further up in Northumberland.

Thanks. Your actually not that farther south than me, probably only about 20 miles.

This was from a week ago in Iceland - full moon hence the hugely lit up foreground. was very pleased at the time, although seems like everyone in the UK managed to get the same opportunity last night...

Eos 7d, 24/105 at 24mm, 28mm ISO 3200 F4 / 2.5 seconds

just trying to work out how to shrink the pic small enough to upload!

Error - file too big. but no clues as to what constitutes "too big" (dimensions or size)

Forum help is no use. grr:

Sharing images

• Our inbuilt gallery system will stop you uploading a file that's too big.
    If you're hosting it on your own webspace (Flickr, 500px, etc), then it can be any size you want. Just not too big please. Some people are on really rubbish internet connections.
Got it, filesize limit somewhere. same dimensions at 800x533 but it didn't like 330Kb, does like 203Kb..

View attachment 6854

Last edited:
any chance of another go? i can get to the peak district from home in less than an hour.

Nope doesn't seem to be doing anything tonight :( http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm

The Space Environment Center's Neural Net Program estimates that . . .

in 10 minutes, the Geomagnetic Activity level (Kp number) will be 2 -- Quiet
in 25 minutes, the Geomagnetic Activity level (Kp number) will be 0.67 -- Quiet
in 38 minutes, the Geomagnetic Activity level (Kp number) will be 1 -- Quiet
in 55 minutes, the Geomagnetic Activity level (Kp number) will be 1.33 -- Quiet

Back