Not a good week so far! It's going to be very Expensive for me!

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
It's not been a good week! I've had an operation on my knee which has left me out of action and am going to have a huge scar down the front of it.

4863538743_d5e61b3305_z.jpg

Then on Friday I was cheered by the fact that I got my new iphone 4, I'd resisted them up till now but decided to give the latest one a try. Friday evening my friend picks me up and takes me down the pub we're sitting outside on a lovely evening and I went to get up and the new phone slipped out of my pocket dropped a foot onto the floor and has now got a cracked screen!

Gutted or what!!!!!!!

Never mind hey ho I'm sure something else will break on it soon and I'll get both problems sorted at the same time!

Yesterday I got a second hand Olympus E3 in the post, having finally decided to stay with Olympus rather than change to Nikon, (which I could have done quite easily as I have both types of lenses). The main reason I decided to stay is I have a fantastic Panasonic Lumix 14-50 f2.8-3.5 lens which will be brilliant on the E3. So yesterday I took the dog out to my friends lake where he can run around loads and loads I can just sit and wait for him.

Here he is before he gets too dirty!

4879809487_9f29055836_z.jpg

On the way back I got cut up by a car driving too fast and ended up falling over and dropping my camera. The camera's fine but the lens took the knock and now won't extend onto full zoom.

I'm due to get off on holiday on Saturday and I'm now stuck with either wide angle or long distance zooms or fixed focal length for my holiday!

I may just say sod it and just take my old DMC-L1 and the 25mm pancake lens and just limit myself to that for the whole holiday as a penance!

My families been away for the past three weeks, so I've been on my own and am really looking forward to our holiday together, so all will be good in the end.

Last edited:
:eek: what a week Richard!!

They say these things come in threes, but you have had such big ones that they surely must be worth three each!

Hope your fortunes turn round and you get some good karma soon matey. Best of luck with the knee/phone/camera!

What flight number are you on this Saturday? I want to warn friends and family to avoid.

;)

Don't worry too much about the knee, i had that + a lot more done and i am cycling and doing taekwondo so believe me it will get better and the scar will not be that back.....

Gutted about the iPhone...!

Don't worry too much about the knee, i had that + a lot more done and i am cycling and doing taekwondo so believe me it will get better and the scar will not be that back.....

Gutted about the iPhone...!

I'm more gutted about my lens, I inherited it from my Father when he passed away last year, it was the last camera he ever bought and he bought it as a present to himself after my Mother died, so u see....

High Fives Joe T, unbreakable glass my A**e.

Mines only cracked on the top left hand corner and hasn't at the moment interfered with anything else! I've very quickly bought a bumper to put around it, they are far too slippery without anything on them!

I've also had knee surgery in the last week, but I only have 2 stitches (and 4 bruises). I get a similar scar to that next month.

Feel real sorry for you about the lens though. Although I hope it's fixable, it's the sentimental properties it holds that makes it worse for you. Keep your chin up and take the fixed lens away with you if it's the most sensible option. Maybe throw in the DMC-L1 for good measure, although at the moment I think if you throw it in the suitcase, it'll break!

Wounds heal and chicks dig scars, but a cracked screen? ouch...

wow, what a crap week mate.. I hope you are well soon and that nothing else happens.. The Iphone is pretty choking, but it is easily sorted.

The pain at the lens with it's sentimental value is not easily dealt with. It may be repairable so don't give up hope.

Chin up.. am thinking of you...

Well my legs getting better I managed to get out without limping for the first time today, although its started hurting now!

Still waiting for Panasonic to get back to me with a consignment number so I can get my lens off in the post to them.

I'm more gutted about my lens, I inherited it from my Father when he passed away last year, it was the last camera he ever bought and he bought it as a present to himself after my Mother died, so u see....

That really is a crap week - I feel for you :hug:

Hopefully the lens will be repairable but even if not I'm pretty sure your dad would have wanted you to use it rather than have it sat at home as an ornament. Accidents happen when you use stuff... although it might ease the pain a bit to find whoever was driving the car and :bat: the windscreen.

Thanks Fi, hopefully Panasonic can repair it. If not an Olympus 12-60mm lens may have to come my way!

It's also insured Marks and Spencers home insurance is fantastic with their gold cover they cover everything away from home too. So if I'm unable to get it repaired then I will have to talk to them.

Just an update to this thread as Panasonic UK have replaced the lens with a new one for free!

I found a thread on four thirds user where loads of others have had exactly the same problem with this lens as I have. so it wasn't me tripping over which caused the problem it had already been there in the first instance!

A big huge thank you to Panasonic UK for their great customer service!

you can get your iphone swapped at apple for 139-00 for a new one as well

It's not been a good week! I've had an operation on my knee which has left me out of action and am going to have a huge scar down the front of it.

4863538743_d5e61b3305_z.jpg
QUOTE]

bloody hell i know about NHS cut backs and alike, but who did that stitching, that's the type of jobby you get on active combat.

Merc :eek:

I went in for micro surgery on my knee and came out with 13 stitches, albeit to the left hand side of my kneecap, they only show too much now when the rest of my leg is suntanned(apparently scars don't tan) the knee will heal, but bad luck on the rest, is that the "things come in threes" done then?

Just an update to this thread as Panasonic UK have replaced the lens with a new one for free!

I found a thread on four thirds user where loads of others have had exactly the same problem with this lens as I have. so it wasn't me tripping over which caused the problem it had already been there in the first instance!

A big huge thank you to Panasonic UK for their great customer service!

Sorry to bump a very old thread but if you are still an active member then I would be very interested as to how you went about getting your lens fixed for free?. I have the same problem.

Many thanks in advanced. :)

Hi Ben, I sent mine in to Panasonic Uk for repair and they took such long time and were totally useless at providing an update I sent an email to Panasonic UK's Managing Director, and within two days I received a reply resolving the problem.

So basically due to their incompetence they replaced the lens with a brand new one.

When sending the email to Panasonics MD I found his name and addressed the email to him personally I also found all the links to peoples issues with this lens on the internet and sent links to every comment I could possibly find.

As I mentioned in the forums afterwards, they were very good to me as they provided a new replacement when I just wanted my old lens repaired.

Good luck getting this issue sorted promptly and efficiently!

Thank you for your help.

I have googled and its given me a local service centre email and number, should I phone them do you think?. D K AUDIO VISUAL SERVICES LTD
Unit 17, Gatwick Metro Centre,
Balcombe Road,
Horley,
RH6 9GA

Also where do you find the Serial number on the lens please?

Many thanks Pepper, Have just sent them an email. I will keep you updated. :)

I had a similar wound on my knee years ago 13 stitches on the left side of centre, only shows up best/worst when I've been on holiday and since it doesn't tan I get laft with a white stripe down my knee, physio was F****** murder btw, pains started after 10 years again.

After building up the guts I once again took the lens apart.

Now online it talks about 3 screws pretty much under the zoom ring. These was all fine. But while the cover was off I managed to extend the zoom fully. There I found 3 much larger screws that was VERY lose. Two of them was easy to do up the other was a real pain.
Managed to do it and put back together and now everything is working fine.

Very pleased with myself. I'm a sound & Light tech so taking camera lens apart is a new one on me.

I did take some photos of the process if any one is interested as the online instructions on how to fix really aren't to good.

Back