Beginner Not as easy as I expected...

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks.

I finally had some time to go out with my little one to test SB700 that I purchased few days ago. As cool as it is, I didn't manage to light even one frame correctly - wouldn't think before that absolutely everything casts some sort of shadow and of course it was very visible in my shots. Here is the only one frame that I kept, still looks odd, but I'm quite happy with result :).

DSC_1625

by Tom Major, on Flickr

Flash on the ground turned out to be total disaster, now I need a light stand :).

Cheers
Tom

Before you buy another thing. Buy 'the speedlighters handbook'.

Lighting is fairly straightforward, it follows a few very simple rules (these are 'rules' because it's physics).

Once you understand the principals, you will be flying.

Before you buy another thing. Buy 'the speedlighters handbook'.

Lighting is fairly straightforward, it follows a few very simple rules (these are 'rules' because it's physics).

Once you understand the principals, you will be flying.

Glad to see such a notable recommendation as I ordered that book yesterday.

Everything worth doing has a learning curve, you'll get there!
You've got one thing very right - lighting isn't about flooding the subject with light, it's about the shadows caused by the absence of light, so you're doing fine.

Yes, you must get a lighting stand, and don't get a flimsy "Ebay special" one because you'll also find yourself getting a softbox, and the stand needs to be rigid enough, and high enough, to take the weight.

Thank you for recomendation @Phil V. Ordered kindle version now ;)

V good book (y)

Everything worth doing has a learning curve, you'll get there!
You've got one thing very right - lighting isn't about flooding the subject with light, it's about the shadows caused by the absence of light, so you're doing fine.

Yes, you must get a lighting stand, and don't get a flimsy "Ebay special" one because you'll also find yourself getting a softbox, and the stand needs to be rigid enough, and high enough, to take the weight.

So true - that's the challenge, and that's the satisfaction :) It's why I enjoy using all kinds of lighting tools and techniques - because the result is all down to your own knowledge and creative skill. You get out what you put in, and without it you have nothing.

It's not particularly difficult, but it does take a bit learning and experience. Read, practise, ask questions, put up a few images... then read, practise, ask questions etc. Lots of excellent advice to be had on here :)

It was written for Canon users, but I'd say quite general - only difference might be in camera settings etc.

Is it strictly for Canon or is it pretty general?

No not strictly Canon, Canon and Nikon are extremely similar - just have to change the model numbers etc, but it's really a techniques book and practical principles apply across the board.

Is it strictly for Canon or is it pretty general?

It is written around the Canon system, but it's more about techniques than the gear. So it's not that relevant.

Buy an older version, particularly if you're a Nikon user, save some money, all you'll miss are the newer features of Canon flash.

Ok you may not be in the McNally leaque yet but your shot is not THAT bad. Actually pretty decent for a first session result. Makes me realise how much my shots suck. Yes a lightstand is essential.

Back