Not enough Ethernet sockets on sky q hub

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
can anyone recommend a device for increasing Ethernet sockets on sky q router ? Theres loads of choice - has anyone actually got one they are using with no issues?
Thanks all

Thanks guys - I knew I needed an unmanaged switch but was told Sky Q hubs are a bit fussy so I wanted a bit of advice!

We have the Sky Q and hanging off it I have 2x Linksys cheap switches.

One is PoE for my CCTV Cameras - Linksys LGS108P
One is non PoE for my PC and other bits in the office upstairs - Linksys LGS105

Cost about £70 for both on Amazon and work really well.

I have Six CCTV Cameras streaming from the PoE switch to a PC connected to the non PoE and then it uploads the clips through the Sky Q hub to Onedrive, probably 1Gb per hour. Never skips a beat.

If you are like me, you may have a few ‘old’ routers gathering dust in a cupboard. If so, you can use one of those as a switch. It isn’t something that I’ve done myself, but if you Google it you will find instructions on how to do it. It might just turn out to be a good free solution.

Already bought a switch - but I do have a few old Hubs laying around so maybe I’ll look at converting one !

If you are like me, you may have a few ‘old’ routers gathering dust in a cupboard. If so, you can use one of those as a switch. It isn’t something that I’ve done myself, but if you Google it you will find instructions on how to do it. It might just turn out to be a good free solution.
Already bought a switch - but I do have a few old Hubs laying around so maybe I’ll look at converting one !

My house has been extended the wifi can't reach the very back due the the old external walls (old victorian long/narrow house). I ran an ethernet cable to my sons room at the back of the house and attached an old talk talk router on the end.

Tweaked the settings in the router from instructions off the web and it now acts as a wifi extender and switch. My sons xbox and laptop plugged in and his chrome cast and iPad get perfect wifi. We all have these things just sat around when they can be so useful!

T

You would need to disable the DHCP scope on the routers first or you could get in a mess.

Hubs are useless in the modern age. Just buy a cheap gigabit switch, you can get them for £20 or less.

You would need to disable the DHCP scope on the routers first or you could get in a mess.
Yep, multiple DHCP servers on the same network segment isn't a good idea. Huge potential for mysterious networking errors to creep in.

Back