Not for the none believers

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, for some while now since moving into our house the glimpse of moving shadows in the house downstairs is a regular thing for not only myself but the wife. We have an entrance from the hall to the living room via an 8ft opening. There are two old wooden doors here, one is kept shut and the other is kept open. Every night at various times a distinctive tap ( just the once )can be heard coming from the door which is closed, our female cat when in the front room will quite often just stop what she is doing and just sit and stare into the hall. Whilst away for a few days this week my wifes son had a couple of friends stay over and one was totaly spooked by the vison of a woman walking across the hallway. Now whilst I have no probs with any of this I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on going further with this. I was thinking of a Séance, but my memories of when my parents and their freinds had one many years ago was not good, as in I witnessed the glass shattering. Would be cool for me to witness it for longer imo.

Could be interesting. Not sure a seance thing is a good idea. I'd look for those type of people who do it as a serious occupation, not necessarily charging you for it. Don't try Ghostbusters. And try to keep on its good side and see if it can come up with any lottery numbers.

When my mother died, we had a series of strange happenings in our house. Flower pots moved ( we lived in the middle of the country so it wasn't local oiks). Doors closed unexpectedly, there were strange smells in the house & one day my wife thought that I had come home early because the outer door opened & closed. One morning I got up & the back door that I had locked the night before was open My mum was very close to my children & we think that she was looking over them. It was only after we told her that they would be fine & to go to wherever she had to go did these things stop.

I am not a nut & fairly rational & yes these things did happen

Yikes!!!

who knows....:shrug:

during the War, my father was billeted in an old farmhouse

going up the stairs to bed late at night, he was accompanied by the shadow of "somebody"

he said his neck hairs stood up........a sane, non-drinking serious man BTW

Get an appt with a psychic reader for your house. Don't mention any goings on and see if they get spooked!

May be worth looking into the history. Sounds like she means no harm and is going about her business.
Friends of mine some years ago moved into converted cottages,they kept being told by their 8 year old at the time to tell the old man in the rocking chair to go away. He was in her bedroom.
On delving into old parish news & notes they came across the fact that in this one cottage a very devoted couple had lived all their married lives, she had a long illness and he had sat by her bedside in a rocking chair for many months caring for her till she passed on, He apparently followed her a few months later.

Being very down to earth & none beleivers it stopped them in their tracks as you can imagine. Daughter was moved to another room.
They continued to live there for a good many years but they never saw him.

Some good ideas here, liking the lottery numbers a lot :D.
Seriously though the place is over 200 yrs old, old mining cottages. It has certainly been altered to how the original place would have looked like. It is the tapping of the door which interests me. I am going to leave the closed part open for a couple of nights and see what happens.

.... It is the tapping of the door which interests me. I am going to leave the closed part open for a couple of nights and see what happens......

tap tap ..............hereeeee's Johnny......:eek:

make sure you log in again eh..?

Forget the séance and f'crissakes stay away from Ouija boards
its a shame that we are not closer as I could get a psychic investigation team down there
( yep (colloquially called) ghostbusting is my second hobby)
But if you do an Internet search there are plenty of teams out there willing to do one
and usually for free.
Rarely have we found anything un-explainable
normally "things happen" for a reason
EMF ( electromagnetic field ) is quite high on the list (y)
I am neither a believer or non believe Always setting out with an open mind as should all psychic investigators ;)

Just let them get on with it. We had 2 seperate "Things" in my parents house. A man wearing a green cardigan who used to walk backwards and fowards in the kitchen we called Mr Dawson, and a black cat, that used to run up the stairs and confuse the hell out of our real cat.

Also one time my mum told me a salesman came to the door and when she opened the door, he stepped back in shock, and said "woah, thats a big dog you have". My mum looked down and there was nothing there. They have never owned a dog!

I have experienced being upstairs in a house (there were two of us). Just had got into bed and put the light off when the downstairs lights came on and then came the noise of all the kitchenware/crockery being thrown all over the place and smashed. That went on for 10 mins and we were both in a state of terror. When it stopped we plucked up the courage to go downstairs. Not a thing out of place.
Looked out of the door. There was snow on the ground and the only foot prints were ours when we arrived.

years ago, I was driving to my uncles to go on a bike ride and as I entered his estate there is a long straight road without any junctions and large grass verges. as I drove along, in front was an old man on a very old bike, thought nothing of it, indicated, crossed onto the other side of the road and passed him, pulled back over and he wasn't in my mirror, looked over both shoulders and still no sign, neither on the road or the verges. Put simply there was no where for him to have gone.

Until that point I was always a non-believer, but ever since I've wondered. drove the road many a time, but never seen him since.

The truth is out there, and I will have a look into your suggestion Cobra (y)
Another thing is we have two cats, Milo is the fly one and dont miss a trick, but I have yet see him spooked by anything, it is always Minnie who notices something :shrug:

My folks just recently moved into their house which they bought and extended. On the sideboard was a statue which for some reason they turned to face at an odd angle. Apparently when they got up the next morning, it had moved to face more "into" the room, and would do so whenever it was moved overnight. I'm not sure I believe it myself but I'm open minded. If ghosts, spirits and suchlike do exist, it would explain why cats and dogs sometimes seem to get irritated for no reason at all.

You could try setting up a video camera pointing at your door to see if it records the "knock" and maybe you will catch something on the footage.

Stuff like this intrigues me, but I try not to get into it too much else I just end up not being able to sleep at night. I think a lot of it is in the mind.

Last edited:
I only ever had one 'strange' experience.

Not long after we bought this house (about 13 years ago) I went upstairs from the living room to go to the loo. I thought Karen was through the house in the kitchen but when I found the bathroom door locked I asumed she was in there.

I knocked and asked Karen if she would be long but there was no answer. I tried the door again but it was firmly locked from the inside.

I went downstairs and as I thought Karen was in the kitchen.

Thinking this a bit odd I went back through the house and headed up the stairs. Halfway up the stairs something slammed past me. There was nothing to be seen but what hit me was as strong as bumping into somebody.

When I got onto the landing and turned the corner the bathroom door was not only unlocked but open.

I went straight downstairs and told Karen - she thought I was winding her up.

I remember how the dogs were. They were as calm as calm could be before I went back upsstairs for that second time but when I came back down they were all over me sniffing and wagging their tails as if I'd just come in after fussing another dog.

Very strange.

Last edited:
Ahh that reminds me of another weird experience I had - one of my close family members was in hospital severely ill (we actually didn't think she was gonna make it), and while eating my breakfast cereal the spoon was knocked out of my hand by what I believe to be one of our deceased cats, who was very fond of the person who was ill.

I love how this thread has turned into ghost stories :D

I would strongly advise against a seance. I had a group of youngsters who tried one once and had been seriously frightened by the results.

I think there are things we cant explain and dont understand. I would just leave your spirit, if thats what she/he is, in peace.

While I am a sceptical believer in the spirit world, seance's, ouija boards and table tilting are all a pile of arse!

Faked by people's subconscious.

My grandad always said he'd come back and haunt us and even after 15 years there are some really odd goings on in her house. Kettle's turning on and off, smells appearing and disappearing, someone walking down the landing etc.

You can either:

Accept there may be something and leave it.

Do some research on the house and speak to the last owners.

Just ask verbally if anyone is there to give you a sign, see what happens.

Get a psychic in for a card/palm reading, see if they pick up on anything. Although this area is still questionable.

Or go full out loony with seances etc.

Personally, pick 1-3 and ignore 4 and 5. :)

Cobra, where are you based? Got a work colleague that set up a GHOST (Ghost Hunters Of Stoke On Trent) and they are pretty bad tbh. No scientifically minded members, just a bunch of twilight watching weirdos :D OP, just be aware, groups vary a lot. I'd imagine cobras is good after reading their posts, but some, are pap!

Last edited:
I've never had any sort of paranormal experience but I do know a couple of intelligent, well grounded, people who claim that they have. Not the sort of people to make things up.

I also knew a few students who scared themselves witless with ouija board experiments when I was at university, but I wasn't there and don't know what happened. I am a bit sceptical, and always thought recreational chemicals might have played a part here!

Forget the séance and f'crissakes stay away from Ouija boards
its a shame that we are not closer as I could get a psychic investigation team down there
( yep (colloquially called) ghostbusting is my second hobby)
But if you do an Internet search there are plenty of teams out there willing to do one
and usually for free.
Rarely have we found anything un-explainable
normally "things happen" for a reason
EMF ( electromagnetic field ) is quite high on the list (y)
I am neither a believer or non believe Always setting out with an open mind as should all psychic investigators ;)

I am also a Paranormal investigator and I run Surrey Paranormal and i would do one thing 1st before you get anyone in and that's to talk with the Spirit that may be there. If you acknowledge that they can be seen and heard and ask that they remain quiet and not to disturb you. It has worked for us in the past. If that fails and you want rid then get in touch with a paranormal team who have a medium who can move spirits on. It doesn't always work as sometimes they really don't want to go. Just be nice and respectful to the spirit and all should be ok. I really wish i was nearer as we could come and take a look but you are a bit far away!

Good luck

Just let them get on with it. We had 2 seperate "Things" in my parents house. A man wearing a green cardigan who used to walk backwards and fowards in the kitchen we called Mr Dawson, and a black cat, that used to run up the stairs and confuse the hell out of our real cat.

Also one time my mum told me a salesman came to the door and when she opened the door, he stepped back in shock, and said "woah, thats a big dog you have". My mum looked down and there was nothing there. They have never owned a dog!

since when has a salesman ever told the truth. case closed on that one for sure!

I am also a Paranormal investigator and I run Surrey Paranormal and i would do one thing 1st before you get anyone in and that's to talk with the Spirit that may be there. If you acknowledge that they can be seen and heard and ask that they remain quiet and not to disturb you. It has worked for us in the past. If that fails and you want rid then get in touch with a paranormal team who have a medium who can move spirits on. It doesn't always work as sometimes they really don't want to go. Just be nice and respectful to the spirit and all should be ok. I really wish i was nearer as we could come and take a look but you are a bit far away!

Good luck

A good sensible post looking at the situation from a slightly
different angle (y)

Hmm, we had things go "missing" only to suddenly re-appear again in our last house. A fascinating subject and one of my pet interests. Hope you find the cause.

Last owners are dead :LOL::LOL: Na kidding.
Tbh I dont really want it to go away whatever it is, it is not even bothering me. If I do go down the asking questions route then it will have to be when I am on my own, the wife thinks I am due for the white coat brigade as it is :(

I would strongly advise against a seance. I had a group of youngsters who tried one once and had been seriously frightened by the results.

I think there are things we cant explain and dont understand. I would just leave your spirit, if thats what she/he is, in peace.

Im with ladysue - if it doesnt cause you any problems, dont rock the boat by bringing in psychic/paranormal investigators etc.

Im sure these people are well meaning but dealing with an 'unknown quantity' may not have the result /effect you hope for.

On a lighter note, in one of our previous houses,my wife was regularly aware of someone being 'there' but never seeing anyone.
It initially spooked her, but she dealt with it by talking to it, just simple things like Good Morning,and asking it how it was etc.
On the day we moved, she told me not to think she was mad, and I stood with her while she said her goodbyes........ and then told me all about her experiences.
Until then, I was a sceptic but as we walked to the front door, we both heard someone or something say 'Goodbye'

What a fascinating post... This stuff really interests me.

I would stick firmly with the advice of not bothering / investigating it unless you really have to. The theatre I work for has 4 ghosts and I was fine with all of them, even when in the building alone, until a most haunted styled show brought in their investigator who revealed stuff I would rather not know about one of them.

All the best with it though.

Spooks

like spooky, this interests me, anything to do with paranormal etc. when my youngest was a baby in his walker he would push himself up to one wall and just sit there staring and laughing at the wall, now he is older he still goes to the same wall and talks to "alice" we have no idea who this alice is, we have no relatives called this.
He says she is about 8 years old and wears a pretty dress with black boots, 100 or so years ago the site where our houses are built was an area for mines, and ours are built on the huge piles of shale that was excavated out of the mines and apparently a few souls lost their lives when they were searching for coal, was she a sad victim of the landslides?, who knows.

Just one would be interesting.:)

For a start anyway.

"A word to the wise...don't mess with things that you'd rather be ignorant to (of?)". How is anyone supposed to know if they'd rather "not know", unless they take steps to find out? I have an idea what you mean, but you're being mysterious and hinting at greater or arcane knowledge. How about sharing some thoughts or experiences for the rest of us?

What an interesting read. Personally, I'd love to believe there's 'something out there'.
Every fibre of my being militates against the possibility that there is however.
I think our desire to believe in spirits (I include myself) stems from a desire to believe that there is life after death.
I'm inclined to believe there is only oblivion and really hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
For a start anyway.

"A word to the wise...don't mess with things that you'd rather be ignorant to (of?)". How is anyone supposed to know if they'd rather "not know", unless they take steps to find out? I have an idea what you mean, but you're being mysterious and hinting at greater or arcane knowledge. How about sharing some thoughts or experiences for the rest of us?

Not hinting at anything at all, Martyn. Absolutely open minded about this and can offer no explanation about any of it. Being mysterious it is naturally interesting.

As for experiences - see my post at 1941 on 23 Sept. in this thread.

Cannot explain that either, but the two of us involved know what we heard.
That happened over 30 years ago and the person that was with me has steadfastly refused to discuss it ever since. He just shakes his head if I mention it (I have long since stopped referring to it). I cannot explain that either - total mystery.

Never experienced anything remotely similar before or after that event.

An interesting account. I'm of an open mind too, but I wouldn't mind betting the knock might be the sound of the wood expanding or contracting.

Not hinting at anything at all, Martyn. Absolutely open minded about this and can offer no explanation about any of it. Being mysterious it is naturally interesting.

As for experiences - see my post at 1941 on 23 Sept. in this thread.

Cannot explain that either, but the two of us involved know what we heard.
That happened over 30 years ago and the person that was with me has steadfastly refused to discuss it ever since. He just shakes his head if I mention it (I have long since stopped referring to it). I cannot explain that either - total mystery.

Never experienced anything remotely similar before or after that event.

Dougie, I think we have some crossed wires here - probably my fault for not being clear enough.

MagixMynx (Natellei) posted "I have too many stories to tell....
A word to the wise...don't mess with things that you'd rather be ignorant to".

I agreed with your response suggesting that an example of the "many stories" might be good; and quoted the rest of her post which seemed to be some sort of warning, and implied knowledge of this sort of thing. I certainly didn't mean to say that you were hinting at anything or being mysterious, and I apologise if you got that impression.

As I said, I've never had anything remotely resembling a paranormal experience, unfortunately. Mysteries, and conspiracy theories, are interesting because they hint at something secret or hidden, which is always fascinating - to me anyway!

I dont often say much about what happened to me a while ago but seeing this thread I might as well say, it was about 8 years ago, my mate and I used to pull together to do the larger electrical installations, he was asked to rewire a house, end terrace, which was being totally renovated.We had our set way of doing a job, I would tend to do sockets, himself lighting, so on the day we arrived and started, sockets were already marked out on the walls where the owner wanted them, so just got on with it. Just after lunch I was working in the smaller bedroom just by the fire place, I started to chop out the wall to sink in a new socket, when I realised I was being watched, I turned round to see a oldish guy in black coat standing there. He stunk like a bonfire. I said you ok mate are you the owner, no reply, I turned back to carry on, thinking that he was bit rude not replying. Decided to ask again in case he was deaf or something and he was gone. went to see if he was on the landing and there was the builders on the stairs chatting away, I asked them who was the gentleman in the black coat, there reply was who/what. No one like that was in the house. Later we asked the new owner about anyone who he might know, he replied the previous owner had a heart attacked when out in the garden several years ago and when he was found he had been burning rubbish out there.

Forget all that medium rubbish, what you need is someone like me, an xtra xtra large! :D

Dougie, I think we have some crossed wires here - probably my fault for not being clear enough.

MagixMynx (Natellei) posted "I have too many stories to tell....
A word to the wise...don't mess with things that you'd rather be ignorant to".

I agreed with your response suggesting that an example of the "many stories" might be good; and quoted the rest of her post which seemed to be some sort of warning, and implied knowledge of this sort of thing. I certainly didn't mean to say that you were hinting at anything or being mysterious, and I apologise if you got that impression.

As I said, I've never had anything remotely resembling a paranormal experience, unfortunately. Mysteries, and conspiracy theories, are interesting because they hint at something secret or hidden, which is always fascinating - to me anyway!

Yes - crossed wires(y)

You do not realise how widespread this issue is until a thread like this!

Possibly many don't talk about experiences they have had for fear of being sneered at.

Rivetting read, loved the "Goodbye" incident especially.
I've had a few experiences myself but nothing that I couldn't explain away as possible natural occurrences subsequently, unfortunately.

Back