Not great quality, buuuut :)

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this today, very poor light, very distant, 1d Mk3 with 600 F4L and 1,4 TC fitted.

and it isnt a captive one either ? ;)

otter1.jpg

sorted the size now :)

good catch though, never seen one in the wild (y)

Well never mind the width or the quality. Well done for seeing one. They are great things are Otters.

Thanks all :)

I went to Strumpshaw fen, where I took the Kingfishers with Mitch earlier on in the year, was just about to pack up, when I saw this little blob on the horizon, it swam closer and closer but was a little b***** to get a shot of :) I have a few more but need to wrk out where i have gone wrong with sizing it lol it should be 800 wide !

It's 800x533 which is fine and the same as everyone elses.

Getting a pic of an otter is fantastic.... well done Ian(y)

The picture is back and its still HUGE! :LOL:
Its a very rare siting, but unfortunately the picture will not win any prizes :(

LOL the pic is 800 * 533 pixels so is within our guidelines ;) you may have to refresh the image if you saw it big in the first place.

Im totally aware it wont win any awards though, it was just as the light was failing fast at about 4:00 pm, was lucky to see it at all :)

The picture is back and its still HUGE! :LOL:
Its a very rare siting, but unfortunately the picture will not win any prizes :(

Well lets see yours then.:LOL:

It was just a statement....its one of the reasons I very rarely shoot wildlife. Unless you have big money, you cant the best lenses, and its all about being there at the right time, close enough to get a picture, you can possibly sell.
And lets not forget...its all IMO....

It was just a statement....its one of the reasons I very rarely shoot wildlife. Unless you have big money, you cant the best lenses, and its all about being there at the right time, close enough to get a picture, you can possibly sell.

I dont sell my pictures, i havent even tried to. Im not a pro, i just like taking pics, this was just one of those occasions where a subject i enjoy was there, i took a pic of it, its rubbish really, but you can see what it is, so asa record shot for me its fine, the title does say its not the best qulaity too. Im sorry its not showing on your screen the right size, but, the image is now definitely 800*533 i am 100% certain of that, it was a lot bigger the first time i posted as i uploaded the pre resize image not the post resize one, i even moderated myself within a minute of posting it.

thats the same size as ian,s 800 x 533

Just teasing you. Ian is probably very chuffed at even seeing one of these. I used to do quite a bit of work on Otters in the wild & know how hard they can be to see.
I think you should have a go at nature stuff even if you dont have all the fancy big lenses. Just being out there is reward in itself. You dont need to get shots to sell. Just think of it as taking memories

When I save Ians to my computer it opens up at 1690pxl on longest edge not 800....
Ah...see now we have the problem. :LOL:
It measures the same dimentions on someone elses screen....so therefor its something wrong with the server [from mine to here or back again] even tho I've refreshed.

Just teasing you. Ian is probably very chuffed at even seeing one of these. I used to do quite a bit of work on Otters in the wild & know how hard they can be to see.
I think you should have a go at nature stuff even if you dont have all the fancy big lenses. Just being out there is reward in itself. You dont need to get shots to sell. Just think of it as taking memories

Im happy enough taking ducks around the pond...thats enough for me. :)

By the way Ian. I think it could be a male. Do they breed there?

according to the RSPB guy they dont actually breed on the Fen, but nearby, they are seen regularly though, and at one point a female and cub were seen together earlier in the year.

And yes i am just chuffed to see one in the wild, beautiful critters, i need to have a go and get something better, but for now ill take this as a first for me :)

And yes i am just chuffed to see one in the wild, beautiful critters, i need to have a go and get something better, but for now ill take this as a first for me :)

Brilliant - very well spotted, and you were quick enough to get a pic in poor light, too. I'd chalk today up as a red letter day, if it had been my pic. :clap: :clap: :clap: It's special shots like this that make togging such a brilliant thing to do, imho.

Yes its great when you see one in the wild. I still do a bit of tracking & looking at spraint & stuff but havent seen one for years now
Maybe this summer I will look a bit harder! Hope you have luck in getting more shots.

Ian.
You did alot better than me. I was at Strumpshaw with my daughter a couple of weeks ago. "Dad whats that thing that looks like a seal" Where, where I cried trying to find it in the veiwfinder. Never got a shot off. So well done. (y)
Retro

Thanks for sharing a true wildlife shot (y)

Well caught Ian

I've never seen such clear image of "nessy"

Seriously.....it's been ages since I've seen a wild otter, you must be chuffed (y)

thanks for sharing young man

(y)

hope to meet up in the new year,,

md(y)

When I save Ians to my computer it opens up at 1690pxl on longest edge not 800....
Ah...see now we have the problem. :LOL:
It measures the same dimentions on someone elses screen....so therefor its something wrong with the server [from mine to here or back again] even tho I've refreshed.

A simple refresh will still show you the first copy you saw which your browser cached on your computer - and you can save it as it is already on your computer. Ctrl-F5 will force a complete refresh and download the latest version.

Well done on the sighting Ian :)

Great capture Ian, may be a record shot but its fine and one day you will get a chance of a close-up all thats needed is patience and a touch of luck.

Good spot and thanks for showing the photo Ian....(y)

Whatever size it is...............:LOL:

Oh how did I miss this one? Well spotted Ian (y)
As been said not your bestest image but jammy bugger none the less (y)

Back