Beginner 'NOT RESPONDING' ---

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I am getting FED UP with my HP ENVY m6 as when I click to get my Yahoo using that Microsoft Edge I often get 'Not Responding' and a box comes up asking if I want to 'Wait or Leave'
I do 'Clean Computer' with CCleaner thing regularly -- why IS this ?

I just hope your copy off CCleaner does not contain malware.

Pete

It is also, as far as I can tell, an old laptop introduced in 2013 ?

If so, which version of Windows is it running and what else are you using it for at the same time as using MS Edge??.

My C Cleaner version is : v6 02 9938 64-bit
I also have 'Google Chrome' and I have Windows 10 and I have Photoshop 7, FastStone Image Viewer to adjust photos and I use it for my Yahoo and outlook mail and all my Photo Forums such as THIS one, FLICKR etc etc The Laptop USED to be my Daughter''s but she got a 'MAC' and let me have this HP I run AVAST free and it had not found anything 'Nasty' so far

My C Cleaner version is : v6 02 9938 64-bit
I also have 'Google Chrome' and I have Windows 10 and I have Photoshop 7, FastStone Image Viewer to adjust photos and I use it for my Yahoo and outlook mail and all my Photo Forums such as THIS one, FLICKR etc etc The Laptop USED to be my Daughter''s but she got a 'MAC' and let me have this HP I run AVAST free and it had not found anything 'Nasty' so far
As far as I can tell the laptop has a very modest 6GB of ram and a none too large 750GB Hard Drive.

You are likely on the minimum specs to run Win10 and depending how much data you have on the hard drive, I surmise you may have limited free space and also challenges how well programs will run.

NB you mention Photoshop 7, what are the recommended specs for that.

Wow, Yahoo! is still a thing? Just looked - that homepage is a bloated mess of unnecessary scripts & ads - never going to play particularly well on an already venerable machine.

It's quite likely that it just needs a wash and brush-up. You can probably retrieve a fair amount of disk space by running Disk Clean-up - click on Start and start typing Disk Clean-up into the Search box then select it when you can see it offered. Make sure you select 'Clean up system files' and let it get on with it. It could take a while.....

There might (almost certainly will!) also be unnecessary programs in the startup group but that's for another day....

Last edited:
As far as I can tell the laptop has a very modest 6GB of ram and a none too large 750GB Hard Drive.
6GB should be adequate for most jobs and 750GB is also enough storage for most users.

The official Microsoft Support site ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...irements-6d4e9a79-66bf-7950-467c-795cf0386715 ) lists the requirements as...
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
  • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
  • Display: 800 x 600

... so there's nothing wrong with Peter's basic setup.

NB you mention Photoshop 7, what are the recommended specs for that.

This page lists the basic requirements: https://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30656 Suffice it to say that Peter's system is way over specified.

As Jonathon says:

It's quite likely that it just needs a wash and brush-up.

WoW !! Lots of Good INFO !! When I open CCleaner at the bottom it says : Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core 15-3210M CPU @ 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000
HA HA ! I can understand ONLY the 8 GB RAM -- BUT I CAN understand how to develop Ilford FP4+ in ID11 1=1 !!

Does it "Not Respond" when opening any other programs?
Is opening Yahoo normally the first thing that you do after starting the computer?

YES -- I open YAHOO first but it also has done a' Not Responding' to other programs.

It's still a perfectly adequate laptop for web browsing and more basic stuff like emails.
I would be tempted to nuke it with clean format and re-install of windows it will give you something to do putting programs you actually use now back on it.
In the state it is in probably not much can be done, there is a lighter refresh of windows might help a bit, it won't remove everything but to be honest I found it did remove more than I expected and took nearly as long to get back up and running as doing full start over.

Move any documents, pictures and important downloads to external drive you should be backing them up anyway

You could try this utility (Folder Size) which helps identify what is using a lot of space and might be deleted.
Giving it more space to move stuff about is going to help.

Last edited:
I had similar problems and after lots of technical advice and changes I "somehow" came across an article that explained that Windows 10 does its own Maintenance and that the default time for the Maintenance is 0200!
As my computer is never on then the Maintenance did not get done, Windows then tries to do it when the computer is on but not being used, failing that it just does it as soon as the computer is switched on and, as there is a lot to do. it hogs the system, that may be OK with a new computer but it slowed mine right down for quite a while when it was first switched on.

To change the time to when the computer is on and you are not using it Click on the Start button, type Control Panel.
On the LH side you should see a pop up and Control Panel App listed, click on that.
You should then see a list of items, click on System and Security and on the next list click on Security and Maintenance.
Maintenance should then be listed and you need to click on the down arrow over on its right.
You can now see Automatic Maintenance and when it was last run. Click on Change maintenance settings and change the time to what you want. I have mine set to 2100 hours because my computer is normally on but unused at that time, click OK and then authorise the change. You will then be taken back to the Security and Maintenance page.

I suggest that you click on the Maintenance down arrow again and select Start maintenance and leave the computer alone whilst Windows catches up. If Windows has not managed to complete the maintenance for some time the process could take a while, after that the daily scheduled maintenance does not take too long.
Hope that helps.

WoW !! THAT may be the ANSWER -- so Grateful !

During the windows boot procedure the computer will load little applets trying to be helpful. Many of those may not be needed and can be switched off, to free up memory and CPU time. Many computers come with lots of bloatware installed which doesn't really help the end user.

Last edited:
SUVV -- THANKS -- THAT IS THE ANSWER ! I did it all -- Maintenance was set to 0200hrs BUT it DID IT TODAY around 0930 when I switched ON so that is what caused the 'Slowness and Not Responding' to Clicks !! i have now CHANGED it to 2100hrs as that is when I am checking what is the 2100hrs FILM on TV and I am banished to the Kitchen as Wife and Kids want to watch 'Love Island' OR NOW 'Katy Price Renovating her Mansion'

Glad it helped, it seems to be one of the solutions that never comes up on an internet search. It has revived my laptop and also helped my, slightly, newer PC.
I vaguely remember reading that the maintenance only goes on for a set period, 1 hour comes to mind, it then stops and resumes the next time that Auto Maintenance is run.
If it has a lot of catching up to do it may take a few sessions before it settles down.

Last edited:
Back