Notebook / memory advice appreciated

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - I've been clearing out the clutter on my Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook but it is still running like an asthmatic ant with several bags of heavy shopping - I can't do anything about the cpu speed but I only have 1gb of RAM (2x 516mb modules) so could double that to 2gb (I presume I would notice a difference online & when doing pp?) - Dell want a laughable £80+ per 1gb stick - They use Kingston modules so I checked their site & the same 1gb stick is just over £60 - I also found Crucial 1gb (their own compatible modules) for just under £60
Is there anywhere else I should have looked (didn't spot anything on 3Bay btw)
Buying direct from Kingston seems to be the smarter option (?)
Paul ;)
PS - Any other tips to speed up my lappy would be much appreciated (y)

Before heading down the lane of buying xtra memoy, I would see what's been loaded initially when you power-on UR lappy. For a list do this..... click on start then run and type msconfig and hit return. A diaglog box pops up namly System Configuration Utility, go to the Startup tab and uncheck all that U don't need to upload in your memory when U power-on UR lappy and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck.

Hi Paul,

1GB of RAM should be enough to run windows XP with Photoshop and pretty much anything you can throw at with whilst maintaining a decent system speed. My laptop has 2GB of RAM but its a high-end gaming laptop, if you use yours to play games too then a RAM upgrade might be beneficial, it sounds like the problem lies elsewhere though.

Crucial is a fab place to buy memory from, I bought some for Sue's laptop from there the other week.

I presume you've defragged the hard disk?. How long have you had the laptop? Could it benefit from a reformat and setup from scratch to clear out the junk?

1 Gig should be plenty (until you get Vista). That's "all" I have on my home PC and it trundles along fine.

As chouglez says check what gets loaded at startup. As well as msconfig look in the "user"/startup folders (yours and default).

If you've half a million little icons at the lower right corner of the task bar this is probably your problem.

Also check the difference with and without a network cable up its bum. If its slower with then you've something "chatting" all the time... you probably dont want this.

Before heading down the lane of buying xtra memoy, I would see what's been loaded initially when you power-on UR lappy. For a list do this..... click on start then run and type msconfig and hit return. A diaglog box pops up namly System Configuration Utility, go to the Startup tab and uncheck all that U don't need to upload in your memory when U power-on UR lappy and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck.

choughlez - there's 34 items in startup which I reckon might not be a good thing :embarrassed: - most I recognise and will try unchecking to see if that helps

matt - no I don't play games on it just used for surfing & pp with Capture NX but whilst on the subject NX needs loads of RAM apparantly or it really plods
I've had the lappy since Sept '05 might have only defragged it twice :embarrassed: & don't fancy a fresh install but I know it makes sense

Thanks so far ... Paul (y)

18 months without a reformat is a looooooong time.

Generally I reformat every 6 months or so. I find that software I install, have a play with, remove still leaves bits of itself all over, there will be things I've installed and just don't use anymore and various bits and bobs.

If you do decide to do it, make sure you have your Dell discs handy before you start and that you back everything up somewhere safe before you start.

I'd appreciate it if the mac users didn't hijack this thread and say "well you don't have to do that with a mac". Its happening too much recently and I'm offering genuine advice and help to someone who needs it, ta.

34 things in startup is loads.

PC at work has 4 items, PC at home has 6- 4 of which are adobe, one of which is the graphics tablet.

Format C: and then partition your HD into two so you keep your data on the second partition and only Windows and Program Files on your C:. This is to facilitate the next Format C: you have to do in 9 months time. :)

Then reinstall Windows every 9 months and your machine will be like light speed.

Question... does NTFS have dynamic allocation of partition sizes?
- can it be re-sized once created (without re-formatting)?

Matt & Kamion thanks - I suppose my "don't fix it if it aint broken" mentality was bound to catch up with me eventually :embarassed:
In terms of backing up I remember I didn't get an XP Pro disc with the PC but iirc I was able to create a backup copy of it from the Dell utilities disc or off the hdd (does that sound right?) - Will my USB External HDD be any use in the process (other than for backups of my docs & pics etc) - I have Ghost knocking around somewhere too if that would be any use? - I'd like to make the procedure as painless as possible if you have any other suggestions
The HDD is only 40gb (34gb with 8gb free)
Cheers ... Paul ;)

IMHO

Partition your drives

1) /root
2) /home
3) /swap

and stick on a linux distro. All your problems gone.

PS. i'm now in my air raid shelter awaiting the barrage of abuse :)

Well the Dell CD you made when you got it has XP on it and it'll probably use a modified version of ghost to restore the laptop to how it was when it left the factory. Just remember it'll need windows updates galore.

First thing to do once you've restored it is connect to windows update and grab everything going.

Things to remember to back up to your external HDD:

From C:\documents and settings\username

My documents
My pictures (inside my documents)
Favorites

Your Email
Your contacts
Your email account details if you dont have them written down anywhere
Any saved games (but you said you didn't play games)

Make a list of all your installed programs so you know what to put back on afterwards

IMHO

Partition your drives

1) /root
2) /home
3) /swap

and stick on a linux distro. All your problems gone.

PS. i'm now in my air raid shelter awaiting the barrage of abuse :)

brummie - I was with you up to "and stick on a linux distro" ... :thinking:
Paul ;)

I would buy an external HDD and back up my data onto that. You can pick them up so cheap nowadays. You will then easily be able to copy it back onto your lappy once you have re-installed windows. You'll also have the advantage of having a useful external drive for keeping regular backups.......you DO keep regular back ups don't you Paul? ;)

I would buy an external HDD and back up my data onto that. You can pick them up so cheap nowadays. You will then easily be able to copy it back onto your lappy once you have re-installed windows. You'll also have the advantage of having a useful external drive for keeping regular backups.......you DO keep regular back ups don't you Paul? ;)

Speed reading again gren :LOL: - I mentioned above I have an External HDD & yes I do make regular backups indeed my photos are on the laptop / ext hdd / dvd so there :p

Matt - Thats what I'll be doing then (when I have time & can get online some other way to try to sort out any potential problems) - come to think of it maybe its a cunning plan to keep me away from the forum :naughty:

Cheers ... Paul (y)

You're most welcome to my home/mobile number if you want it just in case you run into any problems.

You're most welcome to my home/mobile number if you want it just in case you run into any problems.

How gentlemanly (sp) of you Matt - Hopefully I'll be OK but if you don't mind can you PM those numbers & I'll put them on speed dial :LOL:
Paul (y)

Speed reading again gren :LOL: - I mentioned above I have an External HDD & yes I do make regular backups indeed my photos are on the laptop / ext hdd / dvd so there :p

:embarrassed: / goes back to read thread properly :D

Sorry Paul, more haste less speed :wacky:

I'm back :runaway: - Just realised my DVD drive died a few months ago and I decided as I didn't use it other than to burn CD's etc I get a cheaper external USB one instead of the megabucks replacement from Dell (@ £90 iirc) - But am I right in thinking I can't boot from an external USB one? How do I get round this to reinstall XP Pro? (can I copy XP to the hard drive & navigate to there & run setup?)
Confused of Mytchett :thinking:
Paul ;)

Plug the USB CD Drive in, and then go in to the BIOS. See if the drive is listed in the boot order. If it is, you're sorted. If not - might be able to find a spare drive you can borrow to pop in (although it might mean opening up the laptop - eep!)

should be visible at boot as Mark says, check the bios to see if you can set it in the boot order.

OK will do - Last time I looked the intergral DVD drive was still listed in the bios even though it isn't working? Will that mess things up with what I'm trying to do? Should I remove it from the bios and if so how?
Paul (y)

Nah it shouldn't mess anything up just make sure the external drive is higher in the boot order than your hard disk.

Nah it shouldn't mess anything up just make sure the external drive is higher in the boot order than your hard disk.

Cheers again Matt - The USB drive IS in the bios [as you & Mark suggested] and I have now put them in the correct order [floppy usb dvd hdd] - Funny thing though the internal DVD that wasn't working before appears to be up & running again :thinking: - chuff knows what happened there? Anyway will try to track down my XP disc & crack on when I do - fingers [& anything else I can find] crossed ... Paul ;)

A quick update - While waiting for my lost :embarrassed: ISP software to arrive I decided to upgrade the RAM in my Dell laptop from 1gb to 2gb (max allowed) - I am pleased to say it has made a significant improvement both for surfing (which is what I use it for the most) but also in Capture NX which now opens & renders images something like 2-5 times quicker :D
If anyone feels the urge to upgrade their miserly 256mb or 512mb RAM to 1gb :naughty: I am looking for a home for the 1gb I removed for around £50 - The RAM is 2x512mb modules of DDR2-SDRAM PC2-3200 - I can forward full details to anyone interested ... Paul (y)

Can you forward me full details pls. I am in the process of buying new PC and wud like to upgrade the ram if your fits right

Can you forward me full details pls. I am in the process of buying new PC and wud like to upgrade the ram if your fits right

chouglez - will pm you when I get home from work later - you mention buying a new PC I presume you are buying a laptop as my memory came out of one & will only work in a laptop (?) LMK - Paul ;)

Good luck, see you on the other side ;)

Matt - thanks for the advice you & others gave me - I finally got round to putting a new 100gb hdd in yesterday & despite some DVD drive issues I am now up & running with more room for programs than you can shake something brown & sticky at!
Paul (y)

Question... does NTFS have dynamic allocation of partition sizes?
- can it be re-sized once created (without re-formatting)?

No. But, Using a clever but incredibly unreliable piece of software, the name of which escapes me, then yes. A mate of mine here at uni did it, but i believe it was Linux based.

For FAT32.. yes. but for NTFS as well?

And i thought that was for creating a partition from unallocated disk space? not moving the partition between two logical disks?

For FAT32.. yes. but for NTFS as well?

And i thought that was for creating a partition from unallocated disk space? not moving the partition between two logical disks?

yeah should work for NTFS too

You can do it under Linux easily. I don't know why but M$ never built in support for things like that. I know they recommend a smallest partition size of about 40GB for NTFS to work at its best apparently.

I'm going to stick 2gb in my inspiron 6000

86 quid inc vat from crucial at the moment for 2x1gb pc5300 ddr2

18 months without a reformat is a looooooong time.

Generally I reformat every 6 months or so. I find that software I install, have a play with, remove still leaves bits of itself all over, there will be things I've installed and just don't use anymore and various bits and bobs.

If you do decide to do it, make sure you have your Dell discs handy before you start and that you back everything up somewhere safe before you start.

I'd appreciate it if the mac users didn't hijack this thread and say "well you don't have to do that with a mac". Its happening too much recently and I'm offering genuine advice and help to someone who needs it, ta.

LOL! My xp pro has`nt been reinstalled since I got it around 04,!

Back